• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2018 10:14 am
[OP]
May 8, 2007
786 posts
167 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC

Gold jewellery scammers working the parking lots

I was walking in the parking lot of a mall, near a popular mattress store and a Canadian Tire, when a couple of guys in a small sedan drove up and asked for directions to Calgary. This took place about 100 km east of Vancouver within sight of the Trans Canada Highway which would take them to Calgary in about 1200km, and they had a map, so this seemed kind of funny.

I told them to just take the nearby highway entry ramp east and it would take them a day or 2 of steady driving.

Then comes their pitch, something like this: "Oh thank you so much for the kind directions sir, but we have another problem, we are out of money. We have this fine jewellery (shows a shiny gold ring), we can leave you this fine piece and other things and if you can give us any amount we would be very grateful. ....."

So I just left at that point as it seemed shady and I had read about the gold scam before.

https://www.grandforksgazette.ca/news/b ... gold-scam/
http://www.canadapolicereport.ca/2018/0 ... ethbridge/
https://www.927rock.ca/2018/04/20/beware-roadside-scam/

The 2 guys in the car were small in stature, age 25 - 30, and casually dressed. They appeared to be from a warmer country, possibly southern or eastern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, etc.

The scam seemed very obvious to me, but apparently these types of crooks have ripped off people across Canada for a couple of years. A variation of the scam is where the crook manages to take a valuable genuine gold jewellery item from a victim and exchange it for a fake, the crook quickly leaves before the theft is noticed.
9 replies
Jan 17, 2017
72 posts
57 upvotes
They are not any of those countries. They are here because of Justin Trudeau removing visa requirements for Romanian gypsies.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11753 posts
1685 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ U don't know they were gypsies.

OP, u and anyone who encounters scammers should take a pic of their faces, license plate, and then forward the info to the police.
Last edited by Becks on Aug 13th, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8470 posts
52 upvotes
Oakville, ON
That happened to me in Windsor where they wanted to get to Kingston. The item was a necklace and a ring.

I simply asked them if they wanted to take it to a nearby jeweler for a quick appraisal, I'll pay too. They made a lameass excuse and left. Wife and I snickered at their stupidity.

They weren't non-white too so I guess a successful scam gets copied by all of them.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
[OP]
May 8, 2007
786 posts
167 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
They might have been Gypsies or maybe copycats from another ethnic group. But looking at Google pictures of Romanian Gypsies, it's a possibility.

I know someone who rented accommodation to a similar group of people a few months ago. They had some of that type of jewellery, and lots of cash to pay the rent. It was several individuals, men and women.

Odd habits by our standards. They kept live chickens in their cars or tied up outside. Then took them to the back yard to process the chickens (sounds gross to us) and roast them in only 20 minutes. At night the men slept inside the rented place while the women slept in the cars. Left the place messy, leaving the owner the impression they didn't have a lot of experience living in regular houses. But they had a computer and knew how to use the internet.

Later after they finally left the police came looking for them and hinted they might be Gypsies or from the Balkans area and illegally in Canada.

UPDATE ------------------------------------------------------
It needs to be pointed out, Canada rightly does not allow discrimination against people on the basis of race, national origin, or ethnicity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Human_Rights_Act

A person who does a fake jewellery scam might be prosecuted for fraud. It would be interesting to learn what actually happens to a scammer if they are caught.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts ... n-380.html
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8538 posts
1876 upvotes
Trump University
Guys, anyone that approaches you in a traffic area that you don't know is a scammer unless proven otherwise. I live in a high traffic area, If you've seen one, you've seen them all Image
😎
Jun 23, 2016
45 posts
17 upvotes
Dealsfordina wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:24 pm
They are not any of those countries. They are here because of Justin Trudeau removing visa requirements for Romanian gypsies.
You're a racist **** I see.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8059 posts
3808 upvotes
adams7 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 2:11 am
They appeared to be from a warmer country, possibly southern or eastern Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, etc.
Man that's a wide geographic description. Being Eastern Euro, I don't know how I would be mixed with a North African, Middle Eastern or Pakistani individual lol

Dealsfordina wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 12:24 pm
How do you know they are Romanian? Just because Romania has the highest gypsy population in the world, does not mean they are from Romania. Gypsies can be found throughout Europe, and rest of the world.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10503 posts
223 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote:
Aug 14th, 2018 10:23 pm
How do you know they are Romanian? Just because Romania has the highest gypsy population in the world, does not mean they are from Romania. Gypsies can be found throughout Europe, and rest of the world.
Who cares? They are Gypsies. Get rid of them.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3896 posts
186 upvotes
Mississauga
I had this happen to me like a month ago in a parking lot. I had just parked my car and was walking towards a store and this Middle eastern guy with I guess his wife in the passenger seat pulls up in a car and starts asking me for directions to a gas station. I point it out to him and he starts talking about how he's from Dubai and that he was lost and how he needed money for gas and he pulled out a ring and I knew then it was kind of suspicious and I just said 'No thanks' when he tried to sell it to me and he just drove off.

First time in a very long time that I had something like this happen to me.
Toronto sports teams..............forever cursed. Profound sadness. :(

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

sandikosh