Home & Garden

Golden Select Laminate Flooring @ Costco - any experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2016 10:22 am
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
fireguy9 wrote:
Sep 14th, 2009 10:37 pm
what kind of dogs we talking? We have a 6ft bernese mtn dog (bear) 130lbs and size 12 paws with claws that can do serious damage. He does the scooby doo burnout to get in motion when he stands up on hard wood or such. So far he has not been able to destroy or scratch our uniclic tile laminant, but others he has destroyed and of course hardwood is disasterous.
Would love to replace the 50yr old hardwood which now looks very rustic and worn right out but it has to withstand the dog or we wait til there is no dog.
My dogs are rough on floors. A jack and a jack-a-poo. The pure jack has the typical terrier feet made for digging, complete with naturally long nails. They literally do the scoobydo slide while running circles around the main floor. From hallway to kitchen to living/diningroom at full speed while "playing". They destroyed a prefinished hardwood floor within a yr at our last house. I will never, ever make that mistake again (prefinished hardwood). I guess that's why I always chuckle at some of the knuckleheads around here that insist laminate is ghetto and destroys a houses' resale value. May be true for cheap .79 cent wide board, first generation laminates but definitely not for the current generations of laminates like the single board, v-grooves.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Oct 13, 2007
38 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton
Well, I bit the bullet and bought 24 boxes of Walnut to do my basement. I just came across the sale by fluke (I was willing to pay $43.99/box) and came here to let everyone know, but obviously I'm a few days behind.

Sure glad there was still some in stock as I've been eyeing this stuff for a few months now. I'll let you all know what I think of the product once it's installed in a couple months.
Apr 27, 2008
705 posts
157 upvotes
I installed over 600 sq ft of the walnut on my main floor two months ago when it was on sale earlier (not quite as cheap as it is now), and it was a snap, literally. The hardest part is cutting edges if you don't have square walls (i.e. around islands or walls that run at an angle). You shouldn't have a lot of scrap left if you pay attention to what you are doing, and mixing up the various lengths. BTW I should mention that this is the first time I have installed laminate, and we have gotten compliments from everyone that has seen it.

Lastly, before buying the laminate at costco, we had looked everywhere, other big box stores like rona, home depot, totem, and specialty flooring stores, and it seemed like anything equivalent to this flooring was selling for twice as much. Anything that sold for roughly the same price per sq ft was nowhere near the same quality, and quick frankly looked cheap. While I could go in for a price adjustment, I won't cause I still got a good price on it, and their price protection policy is normally 30 days. While I know costco tends to be flexible, I don't want to abuse this as if everybody does, we will see prices go up, or much stricter changes in return policies, as they have done so with their electronics. In all honesty, even at the regular price, this product is well worth the money and far superior to others at this price point and higher.

Hope this helps people on the fence. Also, I forgot to mention that this product is great to walk on, not as hard as other laminates.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5432 posts
172 upvotes
BC
napoleon1769 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2009 1:38 am
How many boxes do you need to do an average bedroom? Is everything included in the box or do you need tools and extra padding or material? I don't know anything.
If you read through this thread I believe all your questions will be answered. I recall seeing one box covers 22sq feet, the padding is already attached and you will have to look yourself for the needed supplies.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
1957 posts
493 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm going to pick some up to do my 600 sq ft house this weekend (yes you read that right) and really can't decide on colour. The walnut, which I believe is the darker of the two colours availalbe, looks fantastic (fair bit better than the lighter one) but I think it will just make my house look too small. The light colour is still nice, but... ugh... decisions decisions...
Mar 31, 2009
233 posts
2 upvotes
Laminate is a very low end flooring product in my opinion. If you are going to use it the best option is the Ikea flooring for about $1.25 square foot.

If you are willing to pay anymore than that then I would just go with a hardwood. Seen some good ones at Rona for around $3.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
asennad wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 3:01 pm
Laminate is a very low end flooring product in my opinion. If you are going to use it the best option is the Ikea flooring for about $1.25 square foot.

If you are willing to pay anymore than that then I would just go with a hardwood. Seen some good ones at Rona for around $3.
:rolleyes: and we care about your uneducated "opinion" why?
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
asennad wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 3:01 pm

Obviously you know nothing about Laminate as there are cheap laminates, and there are higher end quality laminates.
Oct 6, 2005
283 posts
3 upvotes
fireguy9 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 7:19 pm
... there are cheap laminates, and there are higher end quality laminates.
Precisely, I couldn't agree more. I am currently looking at laminate to replace a 3 yr old engineered hardwood that scratches when you look at it the wrong way. I am considering the golden select based on these great reviews. I really don't want to make a second mistake on my flooring choice.

The sad part is that when I originally looked I was shown wilsonart laminate, but choose the engineered because it was a bit cheaper and I would have 'real' hardwood. Oh well, live and learn.
Mar 31, 2009
233 posts
2 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 5:56 pm
:rolleyes: and we care about your uneducated "opinion" why?
High end laminate is like lipstick on a pig. No matter how much you pay for laminate it's still laminate. To many people - anybody with taste - laminate is always going to be a lowend flooring.

How many real estate listings promote laminate flooring? "Look honey this house has wall to wall laminate!" Wow.

The cheapest hardwood beats the most expensive laminate any day.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
asennad wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 10:02 pm
High end laminate is like lipstick on a pig. No matter how much you pay for laminate it's still laminate. To many people - anybody with taste - laminate is always going to be a lowend flooring.

How many real estate listings promote laminate flooring? "Look honey this house has wall to wall laminate!" Wow.

I hate to tell you but you obviously don't read many "real world" real estate listings. My educated opinion (hubby a flooring installer for almost 25 years ;) ) is that todays pre-finished hardwood is absolute crap for houses that are actually lived in. I have lived with very high end pre-finished hardwood and it was utter crap. Within 1 year with 3 kids ad 2 dogs the floor was a mess. And I won't even get ito the stains comin through the wood under the finish due to it not being a continuous finish on the floor. Today's hardwoods are nothing like the hardwood from 30-50 years ago. They are from managed forests resulting in much softer woods with much looser grains. They dent and scratch even when babied. Most folks want to actually live in their house and walk on their floors and not have to worry about ruining their floors.... :rolleyes:

By the way, there is a lovely hardwood thread here that I'm sure your "opinion" would be appreciaed but it's certainly not here in this thread...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
CSK'sMom wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 11:25 pm
I hate to tell you but you obviously don't read many "real world" real estate listings. My educated opinion (hubby a flooring installer for almost 25 years ;) ) is that todays pre-finished hardwood is absolute crap for houses that are actually lived in. I have lived with very high end pre-finished hardwood and it was utter crap. Within 1 year with 3 kids ad 2 dogs the floor was a mess. And I won't even get ito the stains comin through the wood under the finish due to it not being a continuous finish on the floor. Today's hardwoods are nothing like the hardwood from 30-50 years ago. They are from managed forests resulting in much softer woods with much looser grains. They dent and scratch even when babied. Most folks want to actually live in their house and walk on their floors and not have to worry about ruining their floors.... :rolleyes:

By the way, there is a lovely hardwood thread here that I'm sure your "opinion" would be appreciaed but it's certainly not here in this thread...
Why did you even bother reply to this ignorance kid? he shops at Ikea for god sake...
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
virgoan wrote:
Sep 19th, 2009 12:36 am
Why did you even bother reply to this ignorance kid? he shops at Ikea for god sake...
Ya, I know Virgoan. It still absolutely amazes me how clueless folks can be and how many suckers still get sucked in by a good advertising campaign by both multi-national corps and builders. :rolleyes: :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2834 posts
38 upvotes
asennad wrote:
Sep 18th, 2009 10:02 pm

For gods sake,, dont type something when you know jack squat about it :idea:
Your lack of knowledge shines on the laminate topic.
I have a high end laminate that is in my entrance and goes into kitchen and dining room. You cannot even tell it is laminate unless you touch it. It will not scratch and its 5yrs old now and we have a monster of a dog (130lbs,6ft) with big claws that totalled our hardwood and yet to do a thing to the laminate.
× < >