Home & Garden

Golden Select Laminate Flooring @ Costco - any experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2016 10:22 am
Jan 10, 2007
160 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
VeeJayDee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2012 11:49 pm
Hi everyone,
Reading through the 39 pages of this thread took quite a while, but thanks to everyone (over the last 3 years!!!) for all the good information.

As expected, I received the 2012 Winter Savings book last week, and the Golden Select laminate will be on sale again March 5-18, 2012 ($7 off).

It says the following will be on sale:

Does anyone know what the colors are for each of those codes? JSonic/Costco.ca websites don't say, and I can't get to a Costco for a few more weeks...

Thank you!

VJ
Should be Black Oak, Sunset Oak and Brazilian Walnut if it's based off of the same Fall selection
Dec 31, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
ORLEANS
It says the following will be on sale:
Big Daddy G wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2012 2:02 am
Should be Black Oak, Sunset Oak and Brazilian Walnut if it's based off of the same Fall selection

I was able to go to Costco Ottawa East today in the end, and they had the following in-store:

[INDENT][/INDENT]
    [B]310373 =[/B] Autumn Oak, Handscraped Laminate ($39.99 for 21.13 square feet, so $1.89/sq. ft.) --> When on sale at $32.99, it will be $1.56/sq. ft.
    [B]310363 =[/B] Black oak, Regular Laminate (as per [url=http://jsonic.ca/flo_laminate.htm]jsonic website[/url]) ($36.99 for 19.69 sq. ft, so $1.88/sq. ft) --> When on sale at $29.99, it will be $1.52/sq. ft.
    And then they also had [B]310361[/B], which was the Brazilian Walnut regular laminate at $36.99 as well, as per website, but that one is not listed on sale in the Coupon Book.
I suspect 310372 is probably another color of the handscraped kind, which looks really good. I could see that people had scratched the display pieces with their keys, but because it's handscraped and meant to look rustic, I don't think it would really bother me if it got scratched during every day use.

Has anyone installed the handscraped JSonic laminate yet? If so, how do you like it, and do you have pictures??

Thank you,
VJ
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1277 posts
340 upvotes
KINGSTON
My lovely wife misfired a single person tea bag into the compost bucket under the sink. It bounced off the rim, I guess, and landed directly on a seam. It sat unnoticed, camouflaged nicely, on the walnut laminate overnight. Now there is a nice bulge at that spot. Who knew there was that much water in a used tea bag?

Definitely NOT for use anywhere there is moisture, or the possibility thereof.
Feb 3, 2007
1 posts
Hi there, we are looking to put in the "newer" colour Mocha Walnut in March. Called Golden Select directly and they said that this colour has replaced the Walnut in Canada. This item is one of the sale items for the laminate coming up in March, item # 310372. Just wondering if anyone happens to have any pictures of it installed? Thanks
Jan 6, 2009
142 posts
35 upvotes
laika wrote:
Mar 7th, 2010 9:06 pm
...and now based on experience, do not try to put more than 20 at a time in a Freestar. You will strain the suspension, and have trouble climbing hills!

I fit 26 boxes in the back of a CRV last night with no issues
I figured the total weight would be about the same as a fat American family on vacation, so it'd be fine
Apr 5, 2012
1 posts
EDMONTON
My husband just laid the 15mm Brazilian Walnut in our house ( bought from Costco). He was concerned because he had a contractor say it was harder to lay, but it looks great and he said it really wasn't any harder.
Our only problem now is finding transition and stair nosing to match. We may end having to order directly from the company.
Nov 30, 2006
538 posts
22 upvotes
If anyone has this around Sudbury and is looking into buying moulding, let me know to split the shipping cost per piece.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
expergo wrote:
May 1st, 2012 6:08 pm
I purchased this from Costco and have some extra. I believe it's this one:
http://www.goldenselect.ca/en/laminate/black-oak/

I have about half a box left (about 10sqft). If anyone wants it, let me know.

Keep It! If you ever damage a board it's easy to replace but only if you have the extra boards to actually do it. ;)
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
May 9, 2012
3 posts
Fonthill, Ontario
Installed this Jsonic brand Dark Walnut from Costco over the last few weeks. Our living/dining room, three bedrooms and stairway including landing and 14 steps, plus upper halway/landing. I bought 7 pc's stair nose and assorted trim from Jsonic's website. Delivery was quick and very well packaged in two solid hard tubes about 5" or so in diameter by courier.
Installing this laminete was easier than cheap 9mm laminete I have installed in the past. It is more like installing hardwood without the nailing. It can be tricky sometimes, just keep all the grooves clean and if a board does not fit right don't force it! Rather reposition it slightly and try again. I used the usual laminete flooring install tool kit with wedge type spacers and tapping block and metal tapping tool for tight against the wall tapping. I did give most boards a couple light tap to make sure they were snugly in place. Finished up with new quarter round. Looks like real hardwood unless you look carefully for repeat patterns in the boards as there are only about 8 different patterns. Some boxes only had 2 or 3 patterns so we opened several boxes and sorted the boards and leaned them against the far wall from where we were installing. Laid the boards so no two same boards were too close to each other.
So far quite pleased but do not install where standing water will get on the floor and soak into the seams as the laminete will swell and raise up. I would not put it in a kitchen or bathroom myself. I put ceramic tile look laminete in my kitchen and bath.

In summary, looks like hardwood, feels great to walk on, solid and thick so no noise and fairly simple to install but does not like to get too wet.
May 29, 2003
458 posts
47 upvotes
Aurora
We are installing this this weekend over Delta FL on a concrete floor. It's pretty sloping so i'm sure we'll have our moments of cursing. I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Oct 7, 2004
967 posts
74 upvotes
CSK'sMom wrote:
May 6th, 2012 11:39 pm
Keep It! If you ever damage a board it's easy to replace but only if you have the extra boards to actually do it. ;)

I didn't install it myself. If a piece is damaged/scratched in the middle of the room, I can just take out that one piece?
May 14, 2012
1 posts
SASKATOON
Hi, has anyone installed the Mocha Walnut laminate from Costco? I am looking to find some transitions & flush mount nosing. Any suggestions to where to find this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Aug 22, 2003
15539 posts
960 upvotes
Niagara Falls
expergo wrote:
May 11th, 2012 10:09 am
I didn't install it myself. If a piece is damaged/scratched in the middle of the room, I can just take out that one piece?

This laminate all clicks together. It can be taken apart to the damaged board and that board replaced. It's actually incredibly easy, we had to do when we built a wall and window seat in our living room. Because the cuts are already made, it's super fast too. We took out about 8-10 feet and reinstalled in about 20 minutes.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
× < >