Home & Garden

Golden Select Laminate Flooring @ Costco - any experiences?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2023 5:49 pm
Nov 7, 2012
23 posts
9 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
jg1020 wrote: This is the worst floor I ever seen and I have used a lot of different brands in my job. One drop of spilt water and it lifts like its made of cardboard. The floor has been down a 3months already is wrecked. How Costco sell this rubbish is beyond me.
Was this really with the waterproof rigid core laminate that's supposedly waterproof? Or was this with the older water resistant laminates? Can anyone with the waterproof floor vouch for it? I also see on the Costco reviews that it was difficult/impossible to get mouldings, but the website seems to say that they're in stock now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
obzhp21 wrote: Was this really with the waterproof rigid core laminate that's supposedly waterproof? Or was this with the older water resistant laminates? Can anyone with the waterproof floor vouch for it? I also see on the Costco reviews that it was difficult/impossible to get mouldings, but the website seems to say that they're in stock now. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure what the poster above got but we have had ours for about 4 years, no such issue. Our dog brings her rinsed paws on it all the time. There was one time when our daughter's water bottle leaked in her backpack. Some water leaked onto the laminate overnight and there was expansion which is really not noticeable unless you look for it carefully.
Jan 14, 2014
2 posts
2 upvotes
AlbertIshnoo wrote: Hi,
I saw the Golden Select - Sherwood at Costco today, good price, I was really interested in it, the price is good and if the waterproof is as good as they say, it might be a better option than vinyl for some cases.
Also AC5 is great.

I am not sure if I'll pick this one though because of :
9 mm (7 mm + 2mm) total thickness including pre-attached foam backer

That's quite thin, it's not really related to quality, but I read that 7mm laminate can "feel" cheap because it's not thick enough when you walk on it, you don't feel like walking on a real wood floor.

I'm new to this though, not sure if this is still true, they claim to have a "rigid core".
I have floors to replace so started to shop and read about this.
*Edited wording*

I recently purchased this. I've installed it in 2 rooms so far, and am in the process of doing the rest of my main floor. One room completed was my outdoor sunroom, which I completed beginning of August, and it's held up so far.

Make sure you follow the installation guide from their site here. The bridge plank is VITAL to be able to bang the boards together and get a good lock after angling in. The installation video does not include this step and it's nearly impossible to install without it.

Also, I had spoken to Golden Select before purchasing and they had originally stated that the mouldings would be available on August 30th, then later stated Oct 10th. On Oct 7th all types of mouldings became available and I ordered. They arrived today (Oct 15th).

I went to a lot of flooring stores before purchasing and tested scratching samples. The Sherwood Rigid Core AC5 Laminate from Golden Select was much, much more difficult to scratch than the others. I also can't say for sure if they're completely waterproof yet, but I did leave a piece of scrap in a bucket of water for 2 days and there was no change to the material whatsoever. It seems like really solid flooring, especially for the price.

Also, it feels much more high quality than the other floorings I looked at. It has significantly more texture and has I think 12 different patterns.

If you choose to buy, buy in store instead of online, it's significantly cheaper. In my case, it was $10 less per box.

Edit: Soo.. I just opened the box of mouldings. They do not have the texture of the flooring and seem like they may scratch easier. The base material is also particle board rather than the much more resilient material the flooring is made of. They do match quite well, though. Just something to keep in mind..

If you're in the Edmonton area, there's a company called "Exact Matches". They're used by a bunch of the local flooring companies and take laminate flooring and make stair noses, transitions, etc from it. I honestly really wish I had gone with that option.
Jun 7, 2001
34 posts
1 upvote
A bit of a shot in the dark, but wondering if there's anyone in the Toronto area that has any spare old boxes of Golden Select Laminate 310361 Brazilian Walnut lying around that I can buy. It was bought from Costco way back in 2011ish. I have a bit of water damage in one area and don't have enough planks to fix. Hoping I don't have to replace the whole basement!

Thanks!
Nov 3, 2012
22 posts
4 upvotes
canada
Does anyone have any insider information when the costco Golden select sherwood will be on sale again? I was told December, but I am still patiently waiting for it.

I am in Peterborough but willing to drive to oshawa. Ajax or Scarborough if I need to get it
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1453 posts
295 upvotes
I too really like that GS Sherwood laminate. I need to redo a basement (old, bad carpet and redesign) and was initially going to go LVP but this waterproof Sherwood laminate has me intrigued I'm just nervous about the idea of doing a laminate in a basement despite never having any water or moisture issues.

Had a chance to look at it in store and honestly it looks just like rigid core vinyl plank, appears to be fully sealed.

Anyone have any insite on its construction or feedback on installation in a basement?
Last edited by Stinger on Dec 19th, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Stinger wrote: I too really like that GS Sherwood laminate. I need to redo a basement (old, bad carpet and resigned) and was initially going to go LVP but this waterproof Sherwood laminate has me intrigued I'm just nervous about the idea of doing a laminate in a basement despite never having any water issues.

Had a chance to look at it in store and honestly it looks just like rigid core vinyl plank.

Anyone have any insite on its construction or feedback on installation in a basement?
I would put something like delta-fl over the concrete, then the laminate over that. The GS has a built in underlay so I dont think you want to add anything else.

Side note - Anyone have any install pics of GS Reclaimed Oak?
Jun 4, 2019
34 posts
53 upvotes
lincoln81 wrote: Does anyone have any insider information when the costco Golden select sherwood will be on sale again? I was told December, but I am still patiently waiting for it.

I am in Peterborough but willing to drive to oshawa. Ajax or Scarborough if I need to get it
Looks like it will be on sale Monday April 4th.

costco-costco-instant-savings-apr-4-may-1-2532534/
Oct 20, 2010
654 posts
222 upvotes
couple weeks ago got the golden select on sale for 30.99 a box vs 38.99 on their website and in store.
Just got delivered today about 90boxes.
Aug 29, 2022
1 posts
Has anyone installed this in a basement directly on concrete?

My contractor installed this directly on concrete stating the foam backer would be sufficient, as I also have a under slav vapour barrier.

I just noticed in the instructions though it’s suggested to use a 6mm vapour barrier when installing on concrete.

It’s been installed since November, and have had no issues. Wondering what I could expect. Anyone else make the same mistake? What are your experiences.

Wondering if it is worth the hassle to rip up and install a proper vapour barrier.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
I had the Golden Select laminate installation done in a couple of bedrooms, the installers did an excellent job. The only thing, cutting the boards was done inside the bedrooms, creating a lot of sawdust, even though doors were closed, windows were open.
Do I have any options? I can't imagine contractors going up and down to cut outside.
May 15, 2020
198 posts
122 upvotes
Thornhill ON
Laminate guillotine or a shop vac/dust collector connected to the saw.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)