None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere

Golf Course Recommendations?

Hi

Any recommendations on Executive 9 hole courses in the GTA area?

Right now, I only found Maples of Ballantrae and Bushwood Golf have them.

I'm a beginner, so I don't want to do a full 18 holes yet.

Thanks!
:confused:
33 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
Peel Village in Brampton is a pretty good 9-hole course for beginners if you don't mind going all the way west. It's run by the city so it's not too expensive either.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Check out Centenial Park. They have 3 separate 9 hole courses. It's almost all par 3s with some par 4s. No hole is longer than 400 yards. So it favours beginners... and it's cheap!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
joeyjoejoe wrote: Check out Centenial Park. They have 3 separate 9 hole courses. It's almost all par 3s with some par 4s. No hole is longer than 400 yards. So it favours beginners... and it's cheap!
Thanks!

How crowded is it on weekends? Seems like you can't make reservations.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Thanks!

How crowded is it on weekends? Seems like you can't make reservations.
Call ahead... sometimes they have tourneys or private events.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
Try out Cresthaven, it's 18 holes but designed for beginners ... that's the first course I started at.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
xwar wrote: Try out Cresthaven, it's 18 holes but designed for beginners ... that's the first course I started at.
My manager suggested Cresthaven too!

I'll be there Sept 7. :)

Questions:
1) How much of an impediment are the power lines/towers?
2) Do I need to make a reservation?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
1. power lines and towers don't really get in the way, I have never hit them ever.
2. no reservation/tee time required, just show up, pay and play :)

If you play there 10 times, your 11th play is free. Make sure you get the card.

iEyeCaptain wrote: My manager suggested Cresthaven too!

I'll be there Sept 7. :)

Questions:
1) How much of an impediment are the power lines/towers?
2) Do I need to make a reservation?
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
you really only need to show up with 2-3 clubs lol
this course is SHORT
You mentioned you were a beginer, how many rounds have you played?
This course may be a disapointment depending on your skill level
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
xwar wrote: 1. power lines and towers don't really get in the way, I have never hit them ever.
2. no reservation/tee time required, just show up, pay and play :)

If you play there 10 times, your 11th play is free. Make sure you get the card.
Thanks! :)

I'm not sure I'll even go 10 times. Probably 3-4 times before I move onto a "real" golf course. Gotta keep challenging and pushing yourself in life!
immortal1981 wrote: you really only need to show up with 2-3 clubs lol
this course is SHORT
You mentioned you were a beginer, how many rounds have you played?
This course may be a disapointment depending on your skill level
I know it's short/simple/easy/no hazards, but I'm moving from driving range to course and this seems like a good "transition" course!

I've never been on a course before. Only driving range.
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Thanks! :)

I'm not sure I'll even go 10 times. Probably 3-4 times before I move onto a "real" golf course. Gotta keep challenging and pushing yourself in life!

I know it's short/simple/easy/no hazards, but I'm moving from driving range to course and this seems like a good "transition" course!

I've never been on a course before. Only driving range.
Enjoy!
You'll love the game of golf
I started on a similar course, very short but the perfect course to work on the irons, which i found was the most difficult club to master!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
immortal1981 wrote: Enjoy!
You'll love the game of golf
I started on a similar course, very short but the perfect course to work on the irons, which i found was the most difficult club to master!
Surprisingly, I'm fine with my irons. My shot from grass goes about 100-120 yards (and improving) and goes straight reasonably consistently.

It's my driver/fairway shot that keeps going to the right. :(

And to a lesser extent, I keep missing the ball when I'm using my 3 Hybrid or 4 Hybrid.. :(
Apr 12, 2009
129 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Cresthaven is for beginners but I wouldn't go there. Take yourself to Millrun and play a round at the Highlands Executive. 14 par 3's and 4 par 4's. Absolutely ZERO water and bunkering is limited to greenside. Holes are spread-out enough where you are not in any danger like Cresthaven and the course is in 10x better condition. Trust me, Cresthaven is like buying bad beer...you have beer that you don't want to drink.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
2258 posts
147 upvotes
Mississauga
iEyeCaptain wrote: It's my driver/fairway shot that keeps going to the right. :(
just like me! range more and you'll get it right.

markhamgreen is another 9 hole course.
you can always try 18 holes, they arent much different.

i found my Driver is the most difficult club to master - which to this day haunt me
Apr 12, 2009
129 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
levendis wrote: Cresthaven is for beginners but I wouldn't go there. Take yourself to Millrun and play a round at the Highlands Executive. 14 par 3's and 4 par 4's. Absolutely ZERO water and bunkering is limited to greenside. Holes are spread-out enough where you are not in any danger like Cresthaven and the course is in 10x better condition. Trust me, Cresthaven is like buying bad beer...you have beer that you don't want to drink.
Also at Millrun -Highland course...you don't need driver on the par 4's.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
levendis wrote: Cresthaven is for beginners but I wouldn't go there. Take yourself to Millrun and play a round at the Highlands Executive. 14 par 3's and 4 par 4's. Absolutely ZERO water and bunkering is limited to greenside. Holes are spread-out enough where you are not in any danger like Cresthaven and the course is in 10x better condition. Trust me, Cresthaven is like buying bad beer...you have beer that you don't want to drink.
I'll play Cresthaven once or twice before moving on to other courses. Gotta experience the worst to enjoy the best, right? :) I'll check out Millrun!
DuDe1411 wrote: just like me! range more and you'll get it right.

markhamgreen is another 9 hole course.
you can always try 18 holes, they arent much different.

i found my Driver is the most difficult club to master - which to this day haunt me
I'm taking lessons starting September. Hopefully, I can get my driver shot to go straight. :(
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
ohhh the dreaded slice
I have the same problem!
I aim left to correct the slice. Im in the fairway every time but probably lose 20-30 yeards!
Yeah, Millrun is a nice little course. Not sure where your located but if you want a really nice course at a great price you must check out Black Diamond, off the 115 in Pontypool.
Apr 12, 2009
129 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
iEyeCaptain wrote: I'll play Cresthaven once or twice before moving on to other courses. (
You mean you'll play Cresthaven once not twice..JK

Where you taking lessons? And don't worry about the 'big stick' 6000 yard courses don't really call for long shots anyways. 3-wood has more control for a newbie.