None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
immortal1981 wrote: ohhh the dreaded slice
I have the same problem!
I aim left to correct the slice. Im in the fairway every time but probably lose 20-30 yeards!
Yeah, Millrun is a nice little course. Not sure where your located but if you want a really nice course at a great price you must check out Black Diamond, off the 115 in Pontypool.
Right now, I shift my entire body to the left so that when I hit, it goes right, but its technically "straight" :(

I'm in Markham.
levendis wrote: You mean you'll play Cresthaven once not twice..JK

Where you taking lessons? And don't worry about the 'big stick' 6000 yard courses don't really call for long shots anyways. 3-wood has more control for a newbie.
Markham Golf Dome.

Yeah, right now, I'm more comfortable tee-ing off with a fairway wood or even a 3 Hybrid. The driver scares me. :(
:confused:
Jul 25, 2012
100 posts
20 upvotes
Pitch and putts are your best bet to start. I would recommend staying away from Markham Green for the time being as it requires carries over water on 6 of the 9 holes.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Reporting back. Went to Cresthaven yesterday.

Rained for first 4 holes, then beautiful weather rest of the way.

Shot 106. Par is 54.

My first time on a golf course.

Back 9 were harder and I got tired.

Definitely a fun game. Will try to go again before the season ends!
Oct 2, 2012
683 posts
30 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Reporting back. Went to Cresthaven yesterday.

Shot 106. Par is 54.

Keep working on it. Try and shave a few strokes off your game every time you play. I also played yesterday and got soaked!
Jul 25, 2012
100 posts
20 upvotes

Shot 106. Par is 54.

Check out golfnow if you want a slight deal on the green fee.. I remember seeing $10 rounds at Cresthaven being available and if you feel like stepping it up there are slightly larger courses like the Rolling Hills Classic course available for $22 including cart. Just be wary of the golfnow surcharges.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Shot 106. Par is 54.
Congrats on your first round OP...there is some uphill walking on the back 9 and the holes are longer as well I guess that's why you got tired.
It's definitely not my favourite course, but I end going there at least once per year due to last minute plans and such.

If you want to go to a nice 9 hole course and can drive a little bit, there's Carruther's Creek in Ajax. A good course for beginners.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
immortal1981 wrote: Keep working on it. Try and shave a few strokes off your game every time you play. I also played yesterday and got soaked!
Will try to get under 100 at my first goal. I blame my high score on the first couple of holes on the heavy rain. :P
golfwerkz wrote: Check out golfnow if you want a slight deal on the green fee.. I remember seeing $10 rounds at Cresthaven being available and if you feel like stepping it up there are slightly larger courses like the Rolling Hills Classic course available for $22 including cart. Just be wary of the golfnow surcharges.
I booked Cresthaven through Golf Now. $10 / person includes pull cart. The only drawbacks are you can only re-schedule if the golf course is closed for the day (no refunds) and you have to pay upfront..
Biff88 wrote: Congrats on your first round OP...there is some uphill walking on the back 9 and the holes are longer as well I guess that's why you got tired.
It's definitely not my favourite course, but I end going there at least once per year due to last minute plans and such.

If you want to go to a nice 9 hole course and can drive a little bit, there's Carruther's Creek in Ajax. A good course for beginners.
Thanks! Yeah, got tired on back 9.

I'm going to try out Carrickmacross Golf next. $20/person. 18 holes. Par 3 course. Includes a bucket of balls to practice on their driving range before tee off. Anybody been here before?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
106 is nice score for your first time out! Congrats, now keep at it and the improvement will come!
May 10, 2012
260 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Check out spring creek (Concession 9 and Westney). 9 holes...4 or 5 short par 4's and the rest par 3's. 20-22 bucks per 9, well maintained, great clubhouse and generally not too busy.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
xwar wrote: 106 is nice score for your first time out! Congrats, now keep at it and the improvement will come!
Thanks! I'm teeing off on Saturday at Carrickmacross. :)

Will report back.
djeter wrote: Check out spring creek (Concession 9 and Westney). 9 holes...4 or 5 short par 4's and the rest par 3's. 20-22 bucks per 9, well maintained, great clubhouse and generally not too busy.
Will check it out, but that's a bit far. Cresthaven and Carrickmacross are close by for me, 18 holes and cheap. It's just a bit busier than I would like!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9598 posts
2225 upvotes
Somewhere
Beautiful day at Carrickmacross yesterday!

Shot 99, finished the 18 hole course in 3.5 hours :)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4191 posts
5293 upvotes
on the links!
iEyeCaptain wrote: Beautiful day at Carrickmacross yesterday!

Shot 99, finished the 18 hole course in 3.5 hours :)
Time to move on to some more challenging courses? Try Royal Ashburn, Deek Creek, Pheasant Run, Ballantrae, Cardinal; all relatively close to Markham.

And finally...graduate to the elite: Lionhead
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5763 posts
353 upvotes
How about Parkview or Annandale? Give those a try!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
56 upvotes
When I started playing, I chose the par 3 courses. A good par 3 course is fox run on taunton and just east of brock road in durham. Another is riverside golf course (9 holes but some par 5's etc) also in durham. Another 9 hole is markham green on 9th line and 14th avenue area in east markham.

Cresthaven is all par 3's and some of them are pretty long. Good course to get your iron skill in shape. I have hit the power lines before, and the rule is that you get a free do-over.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)