• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 7:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 23, 2016
6 posts

Good accountant in Toronto

Hi...need advice please. My wife became an IT contractor this year and incorporated and we got an accountant. However, I am not a fan of him as he does not seem to give detailed but vague answers. I am not questioning his ethics as he seems fine from that perslective. I just don't think he provides value for the $1500 or so he will charge us. He did not even give a straight answer on that.

I expect more from him than my wife and so she us fine with him. I would like to get an accountant who is also an advisor and looking for recommendations please. We are both well paid and so would like to get advice on how to manage our finances (We make around $250k a year).

Thank you.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6921 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
Love2Deal wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 3:22 pm
Hi...need advice please. My wife became an IT contractor this year and incorporated and we got an accountant. However, I am not a fan of him as he does not seem to give detailed but vague answers. I am not questioning his ethics as he seems fine from that perslective. I just don't think he provides value for the $1500 or so he will charge us. He did not even give a straight answer on that.

I expect more from him than my wife and so she us fine with him. I would like to get an accountant who is also an advisor and looking for recommendations please. We are both well paid and so would like to get advice on how to manage our finances (We make around $250k a year).

Thank you.
I use Rick Grewal over at http://www.grewalguyatt.ca/. They're in Richmond Hill but worth the drive.

Great guy, they have in-house corporate tax lawyers too so it's almost a one stop shop. Can see if I can refer you if you like him.
Feb 22, 2018
2 posts
Lovetodeal - do you mind me asking if you got an accountant and whether you'd recommend them? Also, would you mind sharing the cost for the year? Even if you just say under $2000, between $2000-4000, or greater than $4k. Appreciated.
Mar 30, 2016
58 posts
28 upvotes
I deal with a lot of IT contractors but it seems weird to self sell.

Some accountants are cautious to give financial advice since its technically out of their scope. I think if that's the case he would articulate that he doesn't feel he can answer the question.

If you're interested in chatting feel free to reach out.
No external links in signatures, please see the forum rules - Moderator.
Dec 23, 2017
17 posts
6 upvotes
I have found that accountants and financial advisers are really two different skill sets. Especially in your case, where you are simply looking for someone to file your T2 (I have a lot of IT contractor friends who require the same thing) and this is a pretty transactional service. If you're looking for financial advice, than you're better off looking for a financial planner.
Aug 16, 2013
413 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
I can provide information of my accountant if you want.
Dec 15, 2015
422 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
Avoid Gary Risdon, you'll get the same results.
Oct 22, 2001
265 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
You'll practically get the same kind of attitude from most accountants. The problem is one where they're almost trained to give you vague answers. Introducing complexity in your business is what keeps them in business.

It's best you learn the tax laws and know how to apply them properly. It's not hard, and to run a business well it should be essential knowledge.

Unrelated (but related)... with today's tax budget release, I can almost hear accountants and tax lawyers rejoicing.
Turning off all RFD notifications... because all of it is eating up the 10 GB I got from Koodo.
May 8, 2003
14 posts
ardonn wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 2:54 pm
I deal with a lot of IT contractors but it seems weird to self sell.

Some accountants are cautious to give financial advice since its technically out of their scope. I think if that's the case he would articulate that he doesn't feel he can answer the question.

If you're interested in chatting feel free to reach out.
I became an independent contractor last year was in the same boat. I use Erik's (Ardonn) services, he's a great guy, especially if you want someone who will explain everything in detail and answer all your questions. The one big thing you'll appreciate is that he's quick to respond to you.