Home & Garden

Good brand for a kitchen double sink ($200-$300)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2012 2:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1037 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton

Good brand for a kitchen double sink ($200-$300)

Just wondering if anyone could recommend some brands, thanks for any advice. :)
39 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
In our last remodel, we went with a Franke (a tad pricey) but were impressed by the quality of the Kindred models we saw - I believe that some were in that price range.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25444 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
Instead of a brand, (which really means nothing in the stamped stainless steel sink world) look for thickness and extras. What I mean is, get a heavy guage sink and ensure it is sprayed with a liner (for noise attenuation). Get no less than 18 guage but try hard to get 16 (this is near impossible for ones made in Canada). Do they include the strainers, stoppers and baskets etc.
I bought a lined 16 guage one recently from www.dawiff.com. It cost 60 bucks for shipping but was still way less than half the price of anything I could find here (for a lesser guage).
Print out the prices form Dawiff and go to your local sellers and you can compare prices.
Jan 12, 2007
304 posts
27 upvotes
Orleans
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 8:50 am
I bought a lined 16 guage one recently from www.dawiff.com. It cost 60 bucks for shipping but was still way less than half the price of anything I could find here (for a lesser guage).
Print out the prices form Dawiff and go to your local sellers and you can compare prices.
Search ebay seller "dawiff" and you can save an additional ~20-30% off their website prices.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 10th, 2010 8:50 am
Instead of a brand, (which really means nothing in the stamped stainless steel sink world) look for thickness and extras. What I mean is, get a heavy guage sink and ensure it is sprayed with a liner (for noise attenuation). Get no less than 18 guage but try hard to get 16 (this is near impossible for ones made in Canada). Do they include the strainers, stoppers and baskets etc.

How would you compare the quality of this sink with say a Kindred or Blanco?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2189 posts
426 upvotes
Kindred

Every time I wash dishes in my present sink (in my lovely Italianate Victorian home), I yearn to be washing them in the Kindred sink I had in the past (in my dumpy townhouse condo). To be honest, when I finally drop the 30 odd grand redoing the kitchen here, it will end up getting Kindred sinks (three of them for my dream kitchen, a single basin for the pantry, a one and a half on the island, and a two basin with drain area for dishes on the window wall.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25444 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaf wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 8:08 pm
When I was looking the only real difference between brands that I noticed was the thickness of the material.
Lets be honest, a stainless steel stamping is easy, Kindred, Blanco or whomever. The little things make a difference. The soundproofing on the underside of the sink is important (to me), the fact that is comes with the drain baskets is also important to me as it would be an extra expense without them.
Franke and Kindred are the same company, the sinks are from the same presses. Blanco is teamed up with somebody else, I cannot remember, I believe it is Elkay.
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3004 posts
143 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 7:29 am
When I was looking the only real difference between brands that I noticed was the thickness of the material.
Lets be honest, a stainless steel stamping is easy, Kindred, Blanco or whomever. The little things make a difference. The soundproofing on the underside of the sink is important (to me), the fact that is comes with the drain baskets is also important to me as it would be an extra expense without them.
Franke and Kindred are the same company, the sinks are from the same presses. Blanco is teamed up with somebody else, I cannot remember, I believe it is Elkay.

The bold is more or less what I learned when I was in the market - in that some Kindred models are made by Franke but I was not aware that there was a complete integration of manufacturing. Perhaps that's changed since last year. The Franke sink we purchased was not available as a Kindred model at the time and there were fewer Kindred models available in 16 ga.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5069 posts
1289 upvotes
I went with a Ticor sink, from overstock.com and we're very pleased with it. It's been a year and a half now.
Heavy gauge, soundproof, and much cheaper than name brands.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Pete_Coach wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 7:29 am

Thanks. How is the sink you bought from Dawiff holding up?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5760 posts
543 upvotes
Costco online has some very nice Ancona sinks, reasonably priced. Free shipping. I just installed one last month.
Jun 15, 2008
392 posts
20 upvotes
woof wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 11:24 am
Costco online has some very nice Ancona sinks, reasonably priced. Free shipping. I just installed one last month.

The Chef Series double bowl looks really good. One reviewer said her granite & cabinet people mentioned it's not a standard under mount sink. What does that mean?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25444 posts
2676 upvotes
Ottawa
CaptSmethwick wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 8:24 am
The bold is more or less what I learned when I was in the market - in that some Kindred models are made by Franke but I was not aware that there was a complete integration of manufacturing. Perhaps that's changed since last year. The Franke sink we purchased was not available as a Kindred model at the time and there were fewer Kindred models available in 16 ga.
http://www.frankekindred.com/
FrankeKindred, combine name operating out of the same place.
Shaf wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 9:43 am
Thanks. How is the sink you bought from Dawiff holding up?
It is great. Thing for me was I needed a small sink and a half, 30 inches wide and, I needed the big bowl on the right. That became a special order from all the Canadian manufactures and was going to be way over $500. Dawiff was less than 200 including drains, soundproofing, duties, shipping, brokerages etc.
Oh, and it is holding up very well (it is stainlesss steel so what can go too wrong LOL).
"some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.” Winston Churchill
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15148 posts
1581 upvotes
Shaf wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2011 8:08 pm

Franke makes better sinks than Blanco.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
coolspot wrote:
Feb 24th, 2011 3:40 pm
Franke makes better sinks than Blanco.

We are looking to buy a sink for a new home (builder will provide overmount, but we are installing granite after closing and want an undermount). We need to get a sink and looking at the posts, noticed that some people are buying sinks at a really cheap price.

I guess my question is - How good are the $200 sinks as compared to a $600 Franke sink? If we plan to stay in the home for a long time, what sink should we buy??
× < >