Automotive

Good buy? Kia Forte 2014 - engine noise

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2019 10:48 am
[OP]
Mar 8, 2019
4 posts

Good buy? Kia Forte 2014 - engine noise

Hey car enthusiasts!! I’m getting a great offer on a certified used Kia Forte 2014 LX (70,000KM/40,000Miles) from dealership listed at about $10k, Thewarranty already expired. I can get it for 5k whole price due to engine making ticking/clanking noise. What do y’all think. Is it a good buy? What if the engine breakdown or need other work is it still worth it in the long run? Anyone have similar issues with any Forte?
10 replies
Dec 20, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes

If it's what's shown in that video you should walk away from it. An engine replacement/rebuild could easily cost you the $5K savings

Sounds to me that dealer knows it's a big issue and they're just trying to flog it off for what they have into it.....And how can they call it 'certified' if it's broken? lol
Mar 9, 2019
2 posts
2 upvotes
Steer clear of Hyundai and Kia ever since they started using their own design newer style engines in the early 2010's. Nothing but problems and their resale values reflect that. This car is worth it for someone who can quickly swap in a functioning motor and then sell it to an unsuspecting owner for a slight profit. Not worth it for someone who needs to pay someone to put a motor in it, and then pay again to fix it when that motor possibly fails again.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23211 posts
8163 upvotes
Toronto
I see a sequel to this thread ... if you buy Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11283 posts
6906 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ummm it’s obviously not running right and you’re contemplating on still buying? Go for it!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5005 posts
4305 upvotes
Montreal
A well known problem. There are already many of these sitting around in used lots and now many more coming off lease from 2014-2015 waiting for suckers and the uninformed. If you are out of warranty KIA will tell you to take a hike despite being proven it's a design flaw from pistons too tight in the cylinder wall. They expand with heat and you get piston slap and eventually a seized moteur. New engine is $5000/tax installed from KIA. So avoid or offer them $1500 lol. Well known cases in Quebec if your French is good...

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/tele/la-fac ... is-magasin

edit: That recall above are for other issues, as the knock is one of several serious flaws with this engine..
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1983 posts
2025 upvotes
GTA
Pass.

If it's a wide-spread issue, start looking at other kinds of cars.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5572 posts
1939 upvotes
Alberta
Engine making funny noises, why would you even consider it. It's a no brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5572 posts
1939 upvotes
Alberta
The only thing good about a Kia is their warranty.