Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton

Good “warm white” C9 Christmas lights.

I went and spent a good chunk of a day earlier this fall putting up clips for C9 lights along our house. They’re every 6” or so, to match this string of lights.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.face ... 30458.html

The problem? The lights really aren’t very bright. Like, disappointingly dim, to be perfectly honest.

So, RFD’ers... what’s my best bet? I don’t want to go full Griswold with the quantity of lights. A nice simple line across the roofline is good with me. But I want it bright enough to be seen when our motion sensor front porch light come on too.

C
10 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
1611 posts
446 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd like to know too. I switched back from led to incandescent about 3-4 years because I was not happy with the brightness of leds. Will be nice to know if led bulbs have improved and I can cut back on the 1000W string set that I'm using.
Dec 4, 2009
79 posts
28 upvotes
Waterdown
Wait till it gets dark t make you assessment, the LEDs look fine after dusk. In any measurable daylight, the all look weak.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
Todd96srv wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:19 pm
Wait till it gets dark t make you assessment, the LEDs look fine after dusk. In any measurable daylight, the all look weak.
I've tried them at night... It's getting dark here by 5.

C
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2122 posts
642 upvotes
Mississauga
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:53 pm
I went and spent a good chunk of a day earlier this fall putting up clips for C9 lights along our house. They’re every 6” or so, to match this string of lights.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.face ... 30458.html

The problem? The lights really aren’t very bright. Like, disappointingly dim, to be perfectly honest.

So, RFD’ers... what’s my best bet? I don’t want to go full Griswold with the quantity of lights. A nice simple line across the roofline is good with me. But I want it bright enough to be seen when our motion sensor front porch light come on too.

C
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pl ... 82690.aspx

go with these 50% off at bestbuy right now
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2122 posts
642 upvotes
Mississauga
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:48 pm
While I appreciate the effort, those are not C9 lights.

C
No worries. Thought it would be easier and less costly to simply replace the entire light string with the led ones (I'm sure you'll get the desired brightness), vs looking for c9 strings/bulbs
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1671 posts
331 upvotes
Windsor
i have a similar complaint about some of my leds. however, the dim ones very visibly flicker, so it appears they're only half-wave rectified. maybe you can buy an external full-wave rectifier and get some more brightness out of them? i never got around to testing my theory.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
I found these ones finally on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XH7 ... XYGZ&psc=1

Not in a string, but I'll look around for a string separate from the bulbs and go from there.

The difference should be that these are 5 diodes per light, as opposed to the one diode in my current lights. There's a limit on how much light each diode can pump out, I'm guessing... Never taken about a 13W LED bulb, though... :) Might be fun! There's probably a youtube video for that already, though.
C
Apr 28, 2016
40 posts
12 upvotes
5 diodes might be an over kill, I would suggest 3 diode retrofit. Bulb size is irrelevent when it comes to LED Christmas lights.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1245 posts
425 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Canadian tire has the Noma Advanced C9 lights that are supposed to be brighter that other led lights