Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9716 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto

Good camping+hiking trips in Ontario?

I've recently hiked around NZ and the Canadian Rockies so the idea of hiking+camping in ontario isn't the most attractive to me right now, but I have an opportunity to go for a ~4 day trip with a friend at the end of August (overlapping weekend) and would like to find a good place to go. We'd be leaving on day 0 from Toronto with a car.

Up for car camping, canoe+portaging, anything really! The big ones that come to mind are Bruce - which I understand gets overrun with people in summer, and algonquin - which I think is basically the same, and I've heard it's really only good for canoe trips. I'd worry about any options being beyond fully booked though
8 replies
Feb 10, 2010
940 posts
386 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Hi Kaitlyn,

So what shoes/boots did u got for your trip?

Maybe 4 days is not enough days but you can try to do
La Cloche Silhouette Trail at Killarney Provincial Park, is a 78 km backpacking loop trail, or around the same area (Northern Ontario) you can adventure in Tamagami Wilderness.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9716 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 10:46 am
Hi Kaitlyn,

So what shoes/boots did u got for your trip?
Ended up getting the Salomon X-Ultra Trek and they worked out great!

ToDealHunter wrote:
Jun 25th, 2018 10:46 am
Maybe 4 days is not enough days but you can try to do
La Cloche Silhouette Trail at Killarney Provincial Park, is a 78 km backpacking loop trail, or around the same area (Northern Ontario) you can adventure in Tamagami Wilderness.
Yeah hmm - after a quick look most sites peg it as a 7-10 day trail. Though maybe that's more relaxed? Because I've done 20km/day regularly with surely more elevation gain than in Ontario! At the same time it would be nice to be able to go at a slower pace and enjoy things more vs a series of "rushed" full-day hikes
Dec 24, 2007
344 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
I'd recommend Algonquin. If hiking for 4 days, then the Western Uplands Loop #2 could be accomplished in that time frame. It's around 55km of hiking. Not lots of scenery though. If going for the scenery, then canoeing is the way to go.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9716 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
Liko wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 11:50 pm
I'd recommend Algonquin. If hiking for 4 days, then the Western Uplands Loop #2 could be accomplished in that time frame. It's around 55km of hiking. Not lots of scenery though. If going for the scenery, then canoeing is the way to go.
Yeah I've heard canoeing is what you have to do with algonquin if you want scenery. Too bad. Don't think we're against canoeing, but those are basically always fully booked out well in advance aren't they?
Dec 24, 2007
344 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 10:57 am
Yeah I've heard canoeing is what you have to do with algonquin if you want scenery. Too bad. Don't think we're against canoeing, but those are basically always fully booked out well in advance aren't they?
It's definitely peak season in July and August and it does get very busy. Algonquin is a massive park with many sites. I still think you can easily find something that works for you. Deciding on a route will be the trickier part. Best to talk to someone from Algonquin to get a better idea what's available. The Ontario parks reservation map will also give you an idea of how booked up they are. If renting, there are plenty of outfitters for rentals.

Backcountry Reservations
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1111 posts
148 upvotes
Markham, ON
Killbear park is nice too! There are lots of nice parks in Ontario. If you got the free 2018 Ontario Parks Calendar, in the middle of that calendar is a map of some of the Ontario Parks. I pinned the map up on my wall! Lovely map! There's many options. Make your pick! Their website is ontarioparks.com.

you can also subscribe to their email so you get email from them occasionally (very occasionally) with pictures of parks they are featuring in their email list.
Jul 29, 2006
626 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
....head to the Thunder Bay or Sudbury area!
....life needs more green lights.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1590 posts
563 upvotes
Ontario
6up wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 6:21 pm
....head to the Thunder Bay or Sudbury area!
Yes, driving slightly north of where the hordes of people go (basically Killarney or Algonquin Park) opens up massive areas to enjoy.
You may want to look into the Voyageur Multi Use Trails around Mattawa.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)