Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes

Good Cell Phone Plan for Limited Use?

Does anyone know of a good cell phone plan if I won't really use it for more than an hour a month. But with unlimited nights and maybe weekends?

Also, in places like China you can just buy a sim card without getting a useless phone too is it possible to buy a cell phone plan with just the sim card in Canada?
16 replies
Dec 30, 2007
73 posts
Markham
This is prepaid, not a monthly plan but I think it's the cheapest plan that fits your use.

$1 a Day Unlimited Evenings & Weekends Plan

-Daytime: 30
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
Thanks Ryuu for the info.

Paolo I've looked into pay as you go plans, which would you recommend? So far it looks like the President's Choice one is decent. Does anyone know if that could work the same way as what Ryuu described? where you can just buy a simcard from president's choice and stick it in your own phone?
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
the Rogers Fidomatic is good, and the Fido Pay As u go are alsoi good
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8485 posts
865 upvotes
GVR
Ryuu wrote:
May 10th, 2008 11:19 am
This is prepaid, not a monthly plan but I think it's the cheapest plan that fits your use.

General Radek had some good ideas.
Dec 30, 2007
73 posts
Markham
1226 wrote:I was told by Rogers it would be $40. I ended up buying one off craigslist for $10.

As for that plan above, maybe I don't understand it but at $1 a day, aren't you paying a guaranteed $30-31 a month? So your $100 card would last a little over 3 months? I must be missing something.
Oh, thanks for correcting me on the price of the SIM card, I didn't know the price so I just guessed lol.

I'm not familiar with that plan as well (I'm using the "$0.25 for first 5 min, then $0.15/min afterwards" plan, forgot its name...) But I think you only get charged $1 IF you make a call after the "evening" starts or on the weekends, during "daytime" you will just be charged $0.30/min. So not necessarily a guaranteed $30/month.

Btw, OP, President's Choice mobile is with Bell so they don't use SIM cards.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8485 posts
865 upvotes
GVR
Ryuu wrote:
May 14th, 2008 4:11 pm
I'm not familiar with that plan as well (I'm using the "$0.25 for first 5 min, then $0.15/min afterwards" plan, forgot its name...) But I think you only get charged $1 IF you make a call after the "evening" starts or on the weekends, during "daytime" you will just be charged $0.30/min. So not necessarily a guaranteed $30/month.
Yeah I'm using the same plan as you (for the wife's phone). And you're probably right about the other plan. That makes sense. I think the plan I have is still better for her, she seems to use it more in the daytime (weekdays) than evenings or weekends.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
Ryuu wrote:
May 14th, 2008 4:11 pm
Oh, thanks for correcting me on the price of the SIM card, I didn't know the price so I just guessed lol.

Btw, OP, President's Choice mobile is with Bell so they don't use SIM cards.
PC doesn't use SIM Cards? So what does it use to connect to a wireless network.

Also 1226, you mean I can just buy a sim card off someone and activate for their network all the same?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
8485 posts
865 upvotes
GVR
Shadow Rider wrote:
May 15th, 2008 12:22 am
PC doesn't use SIM Cards? So what does it use to connect to a wireless network.

Also 1226, you mean I can just buy a sim card off someone and activate for their network all the same?
Yes, as long as the SIM has never been activated and wasn't given to someone via a hardware upgrade. Basically don't buy it until you run the SIM number by a Rogers CSR and have them confirm it's OK to use for PAYG.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7756 posts
3652 upvotes
Ryuu wrote:
May 10th, 2008 11:19 am

Dec 30, 2007
73 posts
Markham
Shadow Rider wrote:PC doesn't use SIM Cards? So what does it use to connect to a wireless network.
They use a chip that's built-in to the phone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
Ryuu wrote:
May 15th, 2008 5:36 pm
So am I correct in assuming that with PC you would have to buy one of their phones to connect?

Or do you think my razr 3 will work with PC pay as you go?
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Ryuu wrote:
May 15th, 2008 5:36 pm
they use an ESN... and run on a technology called CDMA (Carriers that Depend Mostly on Analogue) same as what Bellus uses. They are incompatible with GSM (Global Systems for Mobile)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1158 posts
205 upvotes
Paolo wrote:
May 15th, 2008 10:23 pm
they use an ESN... and run on a technology called CDMA (Carriers that Depend Mostly on Analogue) same as what Bellus uses. They are incompatible with GSM (Global Systems for Mobile)
Wow that's complicated. So no, I wouldn't be able to use my Razr 3 with them?
× < >