Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world

Good and cheap light meter?

Any recommendations on a good and cheap light meter?
Looking for something basic, easy to understand that won't break the bank.
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
gontori wrote: Any recommendations on a good and cheap light meter?
Looking for something basic, easy to understand that won't break the bank.
Got a phone? There are many apps that use the light sensor in your phone to act as a light meter.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
^ Thanks, wow so many results at the App Store, any recommendations for iOS?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
I like my Polaris SPD100 - got it used from ebay under 100$, works well in my studio (strobes).
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
pulsar123 wrote: I like my Polaris SPD100 - got it used from ebay under 100$, works well in my studio (strobes).
Ya that's one thing the Apps don't do is strobes.
Oct 27, 2014
120 posts
192 upvotes
Calgary, AB
A light meter in the age of digital photography? What for? To know the amount of light you are getting?
If you looked at the pictures while you were shooting them you can not be wrong by too much. Why not to take a shot and than look at the histogram, you will see if it shifted too much towards the dark or too much towards overexposed? In the post processing you can shift your exposure up and down by couple EV so you have enough info in your RAW files to compensate for small mistakes.
Why spend money and than time during your photoshoot for something you do not need?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
2087 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
Sekonic l-358 is a good/basic/popular light meter. I have seen it go for ~150 used.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
I still shoot film so a light meter is handy. Though I sold mine a few years ago and just use an app.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
I have the L358 and I'm too lazy to use it - not really a must-have unless you're constantly adjusting your lighting. Besides, your camera has histogram.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5731 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]A light meter in the age of digital photography? What for? [/QUOTE]

Reflected VS incident?? I'll take #2

I have a Minolta IIIf, don't use it for farting around but do if I need to shoot a strobe or flash setup.
--------------------------------------------------------------
HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
thericyip wrote: I still shoot film so a light meter is handy. Though I sold mine a few years ago and just use an app.
What app do you use?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
IAMABADMADAFAKA wrote: A light meter in the age of digital photography? What for? To know the amount of light you are getting?
If you looked at the pictures while you were shooting them you can not be wrong by too much. Why not to take a shot and than look at the histogram, you will see if it shifted too much towards the dark or too much towards overexposed? In the post processing you can shift your exposure up and down by couple EV so you have enough info in your RAW files to compensate for small mistakes.
Why spend money and than time during your photoshoot for something you do not need?
Try that with multiple strobes in home studio (I have five). Every portrait will be by trial and error, which with five strobes could mean a long time. If you are trying to get a certain look of your portrait (corresponding to certain flux ratios), a lightmeter can save you a lot of time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)