Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Good? CT: Raleigh 6061 montain bike $179.99 (reg $299).

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2009 6:17 pm
Jul 22, 2009
642 posts
66 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Good? CT: Raleigh 6061 montain bike $179.99 (reg $299).

CT has some bike sales. One I particularly got interested was a
Raleigh 6061 mountain bike for $179.99.

I'm not sure if its a good deal or not.
It has Shamano (sp?) breaks, gear changer, and derailleur which I heard was a good brand.

See my thread her with pictures of it:
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=773188
Perhaps someone who knows bicycle can give me some advice.
Posting it here as well just to let everyone else who might be interested know.
They had about 6 of these same ones outside and few more inside up on the racks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2009
3070 posts
1013 upvotes
Ajax
this isnt a major gripe about 6061 aluminum, but it weighs slightly more and contains more impurities(which makes it easier to handle manufacturing wise), 7075 is a lighter rigid "aircraft" grade aluminum.

Shimano is essentially a standard, but just saying its shimano doesn't mean much. Most likely it is their low end ezfire system. so your probably looking at steel/plastic components
I don't fail, I succeed at finding what doesn't work
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3273 posts
300 upvotes
Kitchener
Never buy cheap dual suspension bikes. Ever.

And if you're going to ride around in the city, look for a bike with a more road oriented tires. Those kinda tires made me wipe out cornering at a moderate speed. Ruined my winter jacket it did.
Heatware 6-0-0
Sep 15, 2009
1 posts
Richmond hill
Hi,

I bought this bike a couple of years ago at $150. Basically, the frame itself is a tank & does weigh a ton, if you leave it 'as is'. But I'm gradually upgrading the components as a fun project. So far I've spent about $200, got a new bottom bracket, Truvativ isoflow crank, Fuju handlebar & Mozo Vibe P front shocks. Crazy I know. The only other thing I need to change is the rear shock.

Even though the components I've upgraded are considered to be the higher end of the budget level, the feel of the bike is totally different. Makes for a much better ride - especially off road & the bike is much lighter! I've got it down from weighing 40lbs to 35lbs. Basically I'm gradually rebuilding the bike. The only thing that is gonna be original will be the frame.

But it all really depends on how you plan to use the bike & how much you're willing to spend. If you want to start using the bike off road more - apart from light trails & don't want to spend more money in upgrades, than you're better off spending between $500-$700 & getting a better bike.

Silent sports in Thornhill has a 2009 norco bushpilot on sale from $699 (I think) down to $499. Which is a way better bike for a few hundred dollars more.

But, if you do decide to get this bike. The the very least you should do is buy new front suspension forks. The ones that come with the bike are worse than useless. Just remember if you do buy it from CT, there's no after sales service, or free tune ups. So I'd advise going to your local bike shop & getting them to tune the bike. Or if you're able, do it yourself.
× < >