Good deal on 4K UHD laptop in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2016 11:45 am
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes

Good deal on 4K UHD laptop in Canada

I am looking for a 4K Ultra HD (i.e. retina display) laptop at a decent price. So far the cheapest I have found is a refurbished Macbook Pro retina for 1,500 CAD from Apple including taxes. Similar laptops in the US can be had quite a bit cheaper, for example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspir ... Id=4454002

We are talking laptop with a screen resolution around 3840 x 2160 .

Best option so far appears to be ordering a refurb from the USA.

Note: the laptop will be used 99% of the time for Google Chrome, i.e. it is irrelevant that most Windows software doesn't support retina displays. The reason this resolution is needed is because it is easier on the eyes when working with text, and that's the use for this laptop. I am replacing a Chromebook Pixel with it.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
I've been looking for the same thing, but have found that the market is very restricted when it comes to UHD. Options are limited.

Your best bet is the new Dell XPS 15" with the UHD option, but they only sell directly on the Dell.ca site. Their screen is almost borderless and the touchpad had been called the most user friendly touchpad ever made.

Asus also has a portable with UHD, which also functions as a tablet. Since you are using it almost entirely for Chrome, this may be your best option.

I'm just confused about why all these companies are still using regular hard drives when SSD's are so cheap. SSD's should be standard.
Best Deals: Star Alliance Silver without even flying= FREE
Telus CAN/USA Unlimited, CID/VM/SMS 25gb $25/month
Electrolux 527 Washer $300
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
deal_king wrote: I've been looking for the same thing, but have found that the market is very restricted when it comes to UHD. Options are limited.

Your best bet is the new Dell XPS 15" with the UHD option, but they only sell directly on the Dell.ca site. Their screen is almost borderless and the touchpad had been called the most user friendly touchpad ever made.

Asus also has a portable with UHD, which also functions as a tablet. Since you are using it almost entirely for Chrome, this may be your best option.

I'm just confused about why all these companies are still using regular hard drives when SSD's are so cheap. SSD's should be standard.
Thanks. These options are all more expensive than the Macbook Pro. I think I will go with the Dell from BestBuy US.

As for SSDs, they don't use them because common folk doesn't know what SSD means and blindly compares numbers, so 256GB SSD must be four times worse than 1TB @5400 rpm.
They do the same for RAM, putting weird configurations like 12GB made of one 8GB chip and one 4GB, sacrificing dual channel for the sake of digits.

But I am very surprised that 4K laptops haven't picked up yet. With the display the difference is obvious and anybody can tell by putting two side by side which one is better.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
I took a look at your link. I'm surprised that you'd consider that choice- it's not a good deal. I'm guessing you'd have it delivered to a friend, who would then drive it over? The value doesn't seem too good. I suggest you look at sl...ickdeals dot net if you're looking for a US-based deal.

I suggest you take a look at dell.ca and slick again. There are many combinations that you probably haven't looked at. Try the 15", 14", 13". Don't use the filter search- as it doesn't give accurate results.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
Just a spicy piece of information for you, if you're cross-border shopping:

You can return anything you bought at a US Walmart to a Canadian Walmart. Cashiers are usually caught off guard but the store manager knows how to do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4808 posts
1803 upvotes
Why you need a 4K laptop? It will sacrifice battery life.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
deal_king wrote: I took a look at your link. I'm surprised that you'd consider that choice- it's not a good deal. I'm guessing you'd have it delivered to a friend, who would then drive it over? The value doesn't seem too good. I suggest you look at sl...ickdeals dot net if you're looking for a US-based deal.

I suggest you take a look at dell.ca and slick again. There are many combinations that you probably haven't looked at. Try the 15", 14", 13". Don't use the filter search- as it doesn't give accurate results.
Can you link to any 4K laptop under $1500 on Dell.CA?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: Why you need a 4K laptop? It will sacrifice battery life.
As I mentioned in the OP, if you work with large amount of text for extended period of time the higher resolution makes the text much clearer which reduces the strain on your eyes. I verified this with a non-retina MacBook side by side with the Pixel. But as the Pixel has now failed, I am looking for a suitable replacement.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
elwebmaster wrote: Can you link to any 4K laptop under $1500 on Dell.CA?
No. You have to do the search yourself. The problem is that it will be a long and arduous search. Dell's search and filter function doesn't function properly, so you'd literally have to click on each option and then customize. It's a nightmare. Check Home and also Business, because they both offer different customizations.

Then you'd have to apply coupons and cashback, etc...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2449 posts
1639 upvotes
Montreal
elwebmaster wrote: Can you link to any 4K laptop under $1500 on Dell.CA?
Did you check out the QHD deals on Lenovo? There are a lot! Combine with the latest coupon from that Lenovo thread. It seems to discount so much, I'd think it was a price error. Check the latest thread here.