Tags:
[OP]
May 3, 2016
102 posts
51 upvotes
Brampton

is this a good deal on appliances?

Hi everyone,

I got below appliances from HD price matched with Canadian appliances.. please let me know if you think its a good deal.. i don't think this would be HOT deal.. but i need appliances now and waited for 2 months for boxing day..

refrigerator - LFXS28566S - 1972
Dishwasher - ldp6797s - 714
Gas Range - lsg5513st - 1794

Also, additional 300 off because of LG offer..

i am considering to get the additional warranty from HD, was quoted 219+149+219 for 3 appliance for 4 additional years. do they bargain on this?

Also, I took HD credit card are put the purchase there.. no interest, no admin fee for 18 months.. it was impulse buy.. is there a way now if i want to pay by my credit card and take advantage of extra 1 year warranty?

Also guys need advise for installation.. HD quoted 360 for Gas range.(new line) + 160 (water line) for Refrigerator + 104(basic dishwasher installation).. please suggest if i should go with this or look for another contractor/handyman? any recommendations for contractors?

Last thing.. was thinking of buying Sakura U2M range hood.. what would be the right place to buy?

All comments welcome!!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7954 posts
5306 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Buy the extended warranty for sure

LG is leading edge when it comes to NEW Appliance Design... but consequently sometimes their stuff diesn’t Have all the kinks ironed out, so stuff breaks down (if it breaks down often enough... it’s a lemon)

Either way you’ll be glad you have the extended warranty

Typically Warranties are not negotiable... but hey you can try
It’s because the mark up on the Appliance itself is so low
Co has to make their chunk of profit somewhere... and it’s usually in the extras
Warranty - Delivery - Installation - Haul Away

If you are not handy... you will want someone else to do the installation for you
HD Team is convenient, but not cheap
You pay a premium for that convenience
But then again you are getting a lot of NEW work done (gas line / water lines)

I’d be asking HD if they are sending a Plumber & Gas Fitter... or do you need to get their Installers work certified afterwards
ie... do a call out to the Gas Co to do an Inspection so the gas gets turned on to the stove
There could be a hidden cost here... ask more questions
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30109 posts
4797 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
NavneetN379343 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2017 6:33 pm
refrigerator - LFXS28566S - 1972
Dishwasher - ldp6797s - 714
Gas Range - lsg5513st - 1794

Also guys need advise for installation.. HD quoted 360 for Gas range.(new line) + 160 (water line) for Refrigerator + 104(basic dishwasher installation).. please suggest if i should go with this or look for another contractor/handyman? any recommendations for contractors?

Last thing.. was thinking of buying Sakura U2M range hood.. what would be the right place to buy?
My only comment is the dishwasher. If you're going to spend ~$700, then I would spend a little more and get a Bosch. The other appliances seem like entry level to me based on the prices. A decent gas stove should cost more than double what you’re paying and same goes for a refrigerator. Make sure you get a dual fuel gas stove.

$360 is cheap if you’re installing a brand new gas line. But expensive, if you’re just uncapping one. The other dishwasher and water line install is fair. You can easily do these yourself if you’re handy.

Sakura range hood, that’s a nice range hood. Seems like you did some research. Have you done the calculations and considered where the replacement air will come from? Do you have a completely sealed home? How many CFM do you need? In this category, you have a few brands to consider

Vent A Hood
Pacific
Sakura
PacAir

Vent A Hood is the best in my opinion, it’s also the most expensive and requires and 8” pipe. You will find that most builders give you a cheap exhaust fan around ~180 CFM, Sakura is around 600, Pacific is ~700, PacAir is ~900 and Vent A Hood is also 600. Builders also use rectangular cutouts and most of these are round cutouts. Be prepared to recut your cupboard to install this.

If you want lots of air movement, go with PacAir. Vent A Hood is well over $1000, the other 3 are between $700 and $900. You can find Sakura, Pacific and PacAir at Pacific Mall. Be prepare to negotiate.

In my previous house, I had a PacAir and I think it is the best one between the three. I currently have Vent A Hood and I really like it.

I purchased my PacAir at

https://www.homecomfortcentre.com/kitchen/range-hood/

If you don’t mind buying online, you can look at Victory range hoods (seems like a decent unit) and there is a sale at

http://www.kitchenhoods.ca/shop/

Finally, the extended warranty, I personally would forgo the warranty. But that’s me, if you get a lemon, you’ll know in the first 90 days. Keep in mind, I’ve been burned before. I had a Samsung washer and dryer combo and the dryer died 9 days after the standard warranty and Samsung refused to help me. I ended up repairing it myself following a YouTube video using a $10 part on eBay. No more Samsung for me.
[OP]
May 3, 2016
102 posts
51 upvotes
Brampton
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:38 pm
Buy the extended warranty for sure

I’d be asking HD if they are sending a Plumber & Gas Fitter... or do you need to get their Installers work certified afterwards
ie... do a call out to the Gas Co to do an Inspection so the gas gets turned on to the stove
There could be a hidden cost here... ask more questions
Thanks for the suggestions.. and the tip.. asked them more questions and looks like they will have to send the plumber and gas fitter to check first.. 85$ each for inspection and providing estimates. if i choose them then they would waive it off. and yes there work is certified.
Gee wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 2:12 am

My only comment is the dishwasher. If you're going to spend ~$700, then I would spend a little more and get a Bosch. The other appliances seem like entry level to me based on the prices. A decent gas stove should cost more than double what you’re paying and same goes for a refrigerator. Make sure you get a dual fuel gas stove.

Sakura range hood, that’s a nice range hood. Seems like you did some research. Have you done the calculations and considered where the replacement air will come from? Do you have a completely sealed home? How many CFM do you need? In this category, you have a few brands to consider
The reason for taking LG dishwasher was that if i club all 3, i get additional 300 OFF.. i know bosch is best, but i will settle for less.

I am little handy, watched few you tube videos, looks like i can install water line and dishwasher myself. Thanks for the tip.

Previous owner had sakura U2, it has round cut and 6" .. its just white so i need to replace it.. its 680 CFM i like it.. just a little louder.. was thinking of getting any higher model of sakura so that i can install myself.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11121 posts
6585 upvotes
Richmond Hill
NavneetN379343 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 11:34 am
Thanks for the suggestions.. and the tip.. asked them more questions and looks like they will have to send the plumber and gas fitter to check first.. 85$ each for inspection and providing estimates. if i choose them then they would waive it off. and yes there work is certified.

The reason for taking LG dishwasher was that if i club all 3, i get additional 300 OFF.. i know bosch is best, but i will settle for less.

I am little handy, watched few you tube videos, looks like i can install water line and dishwasher myself. Thanks for the tip.

Previous owner had sakura U2, it has round cut and 6" .. its just white so i need to replace it.. its 680 CFM i like it.. just a little louder.. was thinking of getting any higher model of sakura so that i can install myself.
Bosch isn't best, it's just glorified by RFD. LG appliances are ok, much better than Samsung so you're fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1468 posts
92 upvotes
Is this a good deal? Costco doesn’t show how much are the saving but other stores like Canadian appliance and Lowe’s has this as boxing week deal of 700-800$ off. I am looking at low-mid level only since I live in a small condo

$1299
LFNS22520S
LG 30 in. 22.0 cu.ft 3 Door French Door Refrigerator with Smart Cooling System

No waterline setup so I just need to plug it in. Costco o will deliver and remove old fridge. Others charge for this.And I will get the extended warranty too.