• May 8th, 2012 8:20 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes

Good deal on a fax machine?

Anyone have any idea where to look for a very inexpensive basic fax machine? I don't care about any options other than it being able to send faxes that are clear at the receiver end (our very old fax sends very very dark faxes and people say they can't read it).
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
It may very well be that all you need to do is CLEAN the machine you have. If you pop open the cover assembly over the area the original paper feeds through when you send a fax, you should see a clear glass window maybe 1/2" high by about 8.5" wide. Moisten a paper towel with Windex or Isopropyl Alcohol and give it a good rubbing to remove all the crud on it. Blow on it when dry to remove any lint or fluff.

If that doesn't work, you might as well buy a new Multifunction/all-in-one machine, as straight fax machines are pretty much obsolete. I bought a Canon MFC4570dn laser multifunction on sale at Staples a couple of months ago for $99 (it was reg $250 or $300). It is a combination computer laser printer, scanner, photocopier, and fax in one compact unit. Deals like that come along all the time at Staples, you just have to keep dropping into one of their stores or checking their flyers. (Don't bother trying to buy one from their website as it's an exercise in futility; as soon as a hot deal gets posted online it sells out faster than a hot rock concert on Ticketmaster.)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Wingding wrote: If that doesn't work, you might as well buy a new Multifunction/all-in-one machine, as straight fax machines are pretty much obsolete. I bought a Canon MFC4570dn laser multifunction on sale at Staples a couple of months ago for $99...
Or if $100 is too much, look for a used single-purpose fax machine at places like freecycle. I imagine these days people will happily give them away (or sell them for very cheap.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Wingding wrote: It may very well be that all you need to do is CLEAN the machine you have. If you pop open the cover assembly over the area the original paper feeds through when you send a fax, you should see a clear glass window maybe 1/2" high by about 8.5" wide. Moisten a paper towel with Windex or Isopropyl Alcohol and give it a good rubbing to remove all the crud on it. Blow on it when dry to remove any lint or fluff.
Thanks for the heads up. I will try it
bylo wrote: Or if $100 is too much, look for a used single-purpose fax machine at places like freecycle. I imagine these days people will happily give them away (or sell them for very cheap.)

What is places like freecycle? I am not familiar with the name.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
2202 posts
1389 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you spend on a quality printer you can ditch the fax machne alltogether. Just scan and email documents. Most companies are getting into this practice and a dedicated fax line will soon become obsolete as more people stop having home phone lines anyway.A fax service is a good option as well.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
You may consider something like this:

http://www.onesuite.com/products_onesuitefax.asp

$3 per month plus a tiny per fax fee, you get your own number, don't have to buy any hardware and a cheap fax machine you buy will probably break very soon anyway.

I have been using the above company for few years now, never head any issues, mind you I maybe receive couple of faxes per month if that as more and more all documents are send via email.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
I think I will just use freefaxonline to send. 2 per day limit is a bit of a drawback but I guess thats ok.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
Messerschmitt wrote: I think I will just use freefaxonline to send. 2 per day limit is a bit of a drawback but I guess thats ok.
Who cares what the $(#* you do if you cannot even be bothered to hit the Thanks button for the people who took the time to reply to your thread with suggestions they believed to be helpful?
May 6, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
TORONTO
Homerhomer wrote: You may consider something like this:

http://www.onesuite.com/products_onesuitefax.asp

$3 per month plus a tiny per fax fee, you get your own number, don't have to buy any hardware and a cheap fax machine you buy will probably break very soon anyway.

I have been using the above company for few years now, never head any issues, mind you I maybe receive couple of faxes per month if that as more and more all documents are send via email.
This is great!
I got a multi function canon for 100 dollars at walmart but I barely use the fax function.
I could have just got a scanner/printer for 69 that day.

Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)