Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver

[Costco] Good deal on ink refill @ Costco

I did a forum search and didn't find anything.

I was at Costco the other day and I picked up a pack of ink refill that claim to be compatible with MANY brands and models. It was 19.99 for 3 black, 5 colour (60ml each), so 480ml of ink total. Needle is build-in on the bottle and has a book of instructions for different printers.

The best thing is that it's Costco so if you're not happy with it you can bring it back for full refund.

Picture to follow when I find my digicam.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
3817 posts
25 upvotes
pandaharo wrote:I did a forum search and didn't find anything.

I was at Costco the other day and I picked up a pack of ink refill that claim to be compatible with MANY brands and models. It was 19.99 for 3 black, 5 colour (60ml each), so 480ml of ink total. Needle is build-in on the bottle and has a book of instructions for different printers.

The best thing is that it's Costco so if you're not happy with it you can bring it back for full refund.

Picture to follow when I find my digicam.

Think this has been posted before...but it is a good reminder to anyone wanting to refill their own. I have this and used it for HP and Lexmark...be careful not to overfill.
Jul 12, 2003
13 posts
I think the name brand is "IMS". This topic was discussed about a month ago when Costco had an additional $5 coupon off the regular price bringing it down to about $15. Not sure about the quality or longevity however.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
Can anyone comment that has bought this ink before and tried it?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2004
1956 posts
1 upvote
Smack Dab In the Mid…
I only use ink that's marked for my brand of Printer
As far as I know each manufacturer has different specs for their ink
Ink is definitely not ink when it comes to inkjet. ;)
Nov 21, 2001
91 posts
3 upvotes
Lindsay
Spent wrote: Ink is definitely not ink when it comes to inkjet. ;)
You can say that again. Once upon a time we had a Lexmark 3200 and had bought ink for it, I now have Lexmark Z603 and tried the 3200 ink in it, what a difference. The colours were all messed up big time, but since it is mainly used for kids I didn't really care. After all it doesn't matter if these pictures of Dora and Scooby we are printing off to colour have green or black lines to go over! :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4406 posts
1186 upvotes
A Place to Stand
Bougth these once, same brand,also at Costco, seemed simple enough, problem is that it did not work. Filled the cartridges but the one thing that you want to happen, that being the release of ink from the cartridge once in the printer, did not occur. Its now sitting on my shelf and its changed colour, its now a lovely shade of dust.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
2020 posts
40 upvotes
I've used that stuff for a while. The ink frankly is cheap, very smudgable, but I'm not sure if that's the cheap paper I use, or this cheap ink, I mostly use it to print lecture notes anyways. The ink doesn't smudge on photo paper though. Except with valved Epson cartridges, make sure you seal the refill hole tightly, or else it'll leak. I use it with my Canon i560, and the transparent cartridges make it soooooo easy to fill. When I run out, I'm definetly going to buy some more because it's so cheap compared to a new cartridge.

Jim
Jul 4, 2001
381 posts
29 upvotes
Moncton
I use it in my Canon I470D and it works great. For some reason seems to last longer than the Canon ink too. Colors are good and no smudging here but I use Kodak Inkjet paper.
Apr 19, 2004
712 posts
82 upvotes
This has been posted before.
I have used it in 2 HP printers so far. Black is a little thin. Works okay. Don’t expect professional results though.

Look here
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthre ... erid=13169

Check this web site for more inf on IMS ink
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum

What people seem to forget is there is quite a science behind ink. Viscosity, dying time, permeability, density etc. Each ink is formulated for each printer. It is also formulated for how the ink jet heads respond the ink going through them. Some ink jet printers basically boil the ink to make it come out. So if its to thick it will clog up the print head after time.

Here is some reasons why people think refile kits don’t work

Time
People usually wait to long before they refill their cartridges.
The cartridge runs out, then the ink dries up plugging the print head holes. Inside and out.
When cartridges run out some people leave them exposed to the open air which dries them out.
Some cartridges fail after they run out because the ink actually cools the print head. So once the ink is gone the head burns out.

Contamination
When refilling the cartridges you have to get the ink in. Sometimes when a fill hole is drilled tiny bits of plastic casing and/or sponge fall into the cartridge. Some of these bits may plug up the print head.

Vacuum verses Venting
Some cartridges have an internal bag that is filled and requires a vacuum to hold in the ink (stops leaking). If the vacuum is lost watch out for a mess and constant dripping. Some need a vent hole to allow air in to replace the missing ink as the printer uses it. When this air enters in the cartridge it slowly over time causes the ink in the sponge to get thicker and thicker. This is why some cartridges can only be refilled so many times. If the vent hole size and shape matters for some cartridges. If it is to big the air pressure is not maintained during printing. If the vent hole is to small the print head will get starved of ink after printing 3 or 4 photos. This also happens when people seal up the vent hole with those little round blue stickers that are meant for the vacuum type cartridges.

Overfilling
If some cartridges are over filled the ink will start leaking out until equilibrium is reached in the cartridge. If the ink is higher then some sponges then the weight of the ink will cause it to leak (surface tension) If filling with a syringe don’t push the needle all the way to the nib. When filling the cartridge with in the air inside needs to escape.

Bubbles
If you rush the filling process it causes bubbles. (using a syringe to inject). These bubbles can cause a vacuum type cartridge to lose its vacuum after a while causing it to leak inside your printer (people then blame the ink). If ink is injected into a sponge along with the bubbles or air it may cause an air lock in the sponge. This air will cause the ink to stop flowing after a while. Most ink is pulled along using capillary action or a siphoning type action. This is why a lot of people cannot fill the HP tri colour cartridges successfully. You need a 4 inch needle to get to the bottom of the cartridge to prevent air locks. The Costco kit is nice but only comes with a 1 ½ inch needle.

Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2002
12042 posts
1086 upvotes
i have refilled to HP, Lexmark and Canon B&W & Color cartridges, works fine...mostly i print notes or paper so is okay i guess...

recently printed a few photos, works ok...i am not bragging.
{ Canon EOS 5D Mark III | 40mm | 50mm II | 24-105mm | 70-200mm II | 600EX-RT | 1.4x III | Sigma: 150-500mm }
{ Lowepro: S&F Technical Vest + Belt + 100AW | Inverse 200AW | Lens Case 2 + 9x13 + 11x26 | Benro C-168M8 }
Jul 26, 2002
44 posts
1 upvote
C
I have successfully used this kit to refill cartridges on a Brother MFC as well as my older Epson and Canon printers. It was easy enough and I am quite satisfied with the results -- and extremely happy not to have to buy more new cartridges for quite a while.

If you want smudge-proof output, get a laser printer. If you want correct colour-registration on your digital photo prints, use a commercial service (and cross your fingers). If you have a high-end inkjet and want the best possible quality output without any worries, buy retail cartridges from the manufacturer of your printer. If you want to save a lot of money, get an ink refill kit

It's a nice little kit, and includes several speical doo-dads (probably for HP cartridge refills) and cleaning fluid. The only problems I encounterd were overfilling my first cartridge (it was my first time, and I wasn't gentle); and the metal syringe tube on the bottle of yellow ink was blocked.

The kit is "universal", and includes instructions for just about every brand and type of inkjet cartridge. However, some printers require extra steps. My refilled Canon refused to "flow" until I performed a power off and on, which presumably primes the cartridge (which several cleaning cycles didn't). My Brother MFC wouldn't accept the refilled cart's until I used black electrical tape on the cartridges where they are read by the unit's optical sensor. The details of these extra steps are readily discovered by using your favourite Internet search engine with the appropriate keywords.

The kit is manufactured by IMS (Interactive Media Sales, LLC) www.ims-ink.com
#!s#!s
× < >