Automotive

Is this a good deal for a used 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes

Is this a good deal for a used 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan?

Need some help on this one guys, a friend would sell me his civic in order to get a bigger car cuz he just got a kid, i'm thinking about it but i don't know much about cars so i need some input on if its a good deal. our budget was much lower before but since its a 2012 we're thinking about it.

- 2012 civic lx sedan
- automatic
- ~45k km but mostly all highway, i can confirm this cause i know he travels a lot
- protection package option (all season mats, trunk tray, real spalsh guard)
- 4 winter tires bought last year mounted on the civic mags
- extra set of 4 dai mags for the summer tires
- rust proofing
- compustart car starter
- tinted windows
- 5yr 100k warrenty
- free oil change for another year

price: 18k

should i go for it or is there much better? winter is coming and we are in need of a car.
thanks in advance for the input
55 replies
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
hmm... used 2012? I smell fish...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
its a good friend of mine i trust 100% so im not worried about anything fishy, a really big car enthousiast also so he drives and maintains it very well, i'm just concerned about the value im getting. if he doesn't sell it to me he's likely keeping it.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
the watcher wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 11:41 pm
Need some help on this one guys, a friend would sell me his civic in order to get a bigger car cuz he just got a kid, i'm thinking about it but i don't know much about cars so i need some input on if its a good deal. our budget was much lower before but since its a 2012 we're thinking about it.

- 2012 civic lx sedan
- automatic
- ~45k km but mostly all highway, i can confirm this cause i know he travels a lot
- rust proofing
- compustart car starter
- tinted windows
- 5yr 100k warrenty

should i go for it or is there much better? winter is coming and we are in need of a car.
Approach ANY used cars with caution, like you do when you walk into some random used car dealer lots. Even if the seller is your best friend, there could be things he didn't tell you about the car. Maybe he curbed the car real bad? Sometimes slight frame damage from mounting a car at high speed cannot be spotted easily.

Get a mechanic to look at the car. Only start to go ahead if he gives a green light. Also, I'd also consider his offer like any other seller and compare it to buying a brand new 2012 Civic LX sedan. You have to bear in mind that 45K is already a lot of miles for a less than 1 year old car, highway or not. You also have to take into account that the Civic is due for a refresh in 2013 and any brand new 2012 Civics are likely to have some discount slapped on them. Good luck car shopping
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
So is there a price.......?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
hahah sorry, i can't believe i forgot to put it mostly that i was asking for value. :razz: price is 18k. i'll edit the initial post
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
LOL 18K........

Brand new 2012s were going for 20k a couple months back, so I'm sure it costs even less now since it's on clearance. Your "friend" is ripping you off
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
the watcher wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 11:44 pm
its a good friend of mine i trust 100% so im not worried about anything fishy, a really big car enthousiast also so he drives and maintains it very well, i'm just concerned about the value im getting. if he doesn't sell it to me he's likely keeping it.
I don't understand how anybody in the right mind would want to sell a car they just bought last year, given there is a huge depreciation after driving away from the new car dealership. They are losing a whole lot of money there... and a child coming? It's not exactly a mini/coup car so unless he's super rich and doesn't care something doesn't add up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
Voltex wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 11:59 pm
LOL 18K........

Brand new 2012s were going for 20k a couple months back, so I'm sure it costs even less now since it's on clearance. Your "friend" is ripping you off
even with the extras it doesn't make sense at all?
shuffler wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 12:02 am
I don't understand how anybody in the right mind would want to sell a car they just bought last year, given there is a huge depreciation after driving away from the new car dealership. They are losing a whole lot of money there... and a child coming? It's not exactly a mini/coup car so unless he's super rich and doesn't care something doesn't add up.
he is pretty well off i would say.
but from what i get from what u said is that he is loosing a lof money selling at that price so I AM getting a good deal? or not? :S
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1208 upvotes
aGincourt
You can get a new civic for that price
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
the watcher wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 12:06 am

but from what i get from what u said is that he is loosing a lof money selling at that price so I AM getting a good deal? or not? :S
I am saying there is something fishy. He is losing a lot of money by selling a car he just bought a year ago. Unless there is something wrong with the car, which is why it's fishy. If I were you I'd buy a car 2-3 years old. That makes more sense to me. Or you are already paying 18K!!! Cough up a couple more and buy a new one!!! NO BRAINER if you ask me!!!
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
the watcher wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 12:06 am

Those extras don't really add any value to the car.
Jan 19, 2003
469 posts
48 upvotes
My brother bought a demo (10k kms) civic EX from a Honda dealer for 16.5k plus tax. 18k for a LX is way too much. Remeber you have to pay full tax on a user car purchase as well!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1332 upvotes
the watcher wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2012 11:41 pm

- 2012 civic lx sedan
- automatic

- rust proofing
- compustart car starter
- tinted windows
- 5yr 100k warrenty

price: 18k

If you have a ' new ' set of new winters and 4 new mags with sensors and a set of summer tires - that can add up $ wise to buy new for yourself - so, $18k may be worth it....though I'd be leaning closer to $17k ( remember, 45,000 k is 2 years worth of normal driving )

You may want to see how much tread is left on the summer tires though.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!