Automotive

Is this a good deal for a used 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2012 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Jul 10, 2012
620 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
garyhudson wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 9:05 pm
It really boils down to whether you want to shell out the extra cash to buy the new car. The factory car starter and protection pack is about 1K MSRP on Honda.ca, you can probably get some more discount for these and get the dealer to throw in oil changes and rust proofing/tinting.

If you are set on buying a 2nd hand Civic, my advice is your friend's Civic isn't the car you want, not unless the price is at 14-15K. Since I doubt he will be willing to go so low, you might have to look elsewhere.

does anyone have the invoice price of 2012 Civic LX for OP's reference?

Anybody else feels a little bit of much too much trust in the friend going on here? Business is business buddy. If a dealer sells for $15000, then you gotta find out which is the fair price: 15k or 18k. Otherwise you risk ruining the friendship due to remorse later on.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
271 upvotes
Here
shuffler wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2012 7:29 pm
Don't worry, you won't be able to at $1500. Try $5000

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/Civic/ ... po=ShowCPO

[IMG]http://s12.postimage.org/sg6nqz58d/car.png[/IMG]
LOL that was NOT JUST DRIVEN OFF THE LOT!!
It has 28k kms on it!! That has probably been on the road for a good 15+ months(the 2012 civic has been out since early 2011). Some peoples kids.. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Also that is not a $5k discount considering you can get it for $19k right now.
So "save" $3k for that? That is not what I call saving. Not worth it!
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
poedua wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 7:24 am
Go to the Canadian Black book site as see what a 2012 civic lx sedan, automatic with ~45k km wholesale MAX ( = mint, mint, close to showroom condition ) ' trade in ' value might be.

http://www.canadianblackbook.com/

To this, add the 50% ( for a ' used fmv ' ) of the value for winter tires, sensors, mag wheels.....the rustproofing treatment,window tinting, honda protection package & compustart starter are irrelevant IMO.

I suspect the total value you come up will be be much, much lower than $19,300....or as garyhudson alluded to, probably closer to $14k - $15k.. ;)
+1
The trade-in value of a 2012 Civic LX with 45000 km is $12000 to $14000. Use that as a starting point.

But IMO, right now is pretty much the worst time to be buying a 2012 Civic. The 2013 model will be arriving in showrooms any day/week now, with improvements to address the complaints that some people had about the styling. Once those are out, the market value of the 2012 could go down a little faster.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
Where are you guys getting these prices of 18-19k for the car new? I got 22k from the first honda dealer i went to. How much more can i get knocked off from that, i don't think 3-4k...

as for the new 2013 coming out, if i wait for the 2013 to come out is there a chance that all the 2012 will be sold by then with the promos?

also what would be some good equivalents i can look at in other brands. time to do some hardcore shopping
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
the watcher wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 11:46 am
Where are you guys getting these prices of 18-19k for the car new? I got 22k from the first honda dealer i went to. How much more can i get knocked off from that, i don't think 3-4k...

as for the new 2013 coming out, if i wait for the 2013 to come out is there a chance that all the 2012 will be sold by then with the promos?

also what would be some good equivalents i can look at in other brands. time to do some hardcore shopping
$21500 is probably the lowest you'll be able to get for a brand new Civic LX auto, if you bargain hard. The people mentioning $18-$19k aren't including tax. When the 2013 Civic is out, it will probably be $23000 after tax, and it will be harder to find the 2012's. If long-term reliability is your main concern, then the differences between the 2012 and 2013 will probably not be very significant. But the details of the 2013 model haven't been announced, so it's still an unknown.

Does "5yr 100k warrenty" of your friend's Civic mean extended warranty? If so, I think $18k is a pretty fair price. $18000+PST is the same as paying $17000+GST+PST at a dealership, and some of the add-ons that are included are useful or essential anyway. If your friend used the car by itself as a trade-in when getting another car, he'd get at least $14000+GST+PST for it, which is $16000+. And he could sell the winter tires and rims for $500. So it would not make sense for him to budge much lower than the $18k price.

You should look at the Toyota Corolla also. That and the Corolla would be at the top of my list for reliability (I bought a 2012 Civic EX last October, btw). They have different characteristics, so try them both and see what you like.
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
271 upvotes
Here
the watcher wrote:
$19k does not include taxes, and the reason why we don't include taxes is because the op's price from his friend obviously wouldn't include taxes and the kijiji/autotrader/whatever else ads posted price does not include taxes..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
1308 posts
48 upvotes
Rehan wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 12:05 pm
$21500 is probably the lowest you'll be able to get for a brand new Civic LX auto, if you bargain hard. The people mentioning $18-$19k aren't including tax. When the 2013 Civic is out, it will probably be $23000 after tax, and it will be harder to find the 2012's. If long-term reliability is your main concern, then the differences between the 2012 and 2013 will probably not be very significant. But the details of the 2013 model haven't been announced, so it's still an unknown.

Does "5yr 100k warrenty" of your friend's Civic mean extended warranty? If so, I think $18k is a pretty fair price. $18000+PST is the same as paying $17000+GST+PST at a dealership, and some of the add-ons that are included are useful or essential anyway. If your friend used the car by itself as a trade-in when getting another car, he'd get at least $14000+GST+PST for it, which is $16000+. And he could sell the winter tires and rims for $500. So it would not make sense for him to budge much lower than the $18k price.

You should look at the Toyota Corolla also. That and the Corolla would be at the top of my list for reliability (I bought a 2012 Civic EX last October, btw). They have different characteristics, so try them both and see what you like.
Thanks for the detailed response and analysis.
I think its just the standard 5yr 100k warranty that honda offers, 3yrs bumper to bumper and 5yrs power train i think.

My goal is the end is to pay as less as possible for a good reliable car i will enjoy driving until it dies. The dealership option after all the cash i spend on it is looking like about 24,000$, which is a lot for me. So that's about 4.5k more than the used option. To be honest the only reason im even considering the new is because of how bad of a value people are writing the used one is. Ideally i would want a used 2010+ car with as good value i can get. But anything i see with about 40-60k km is 13,000$-16,000$ anyways + PST.

Ex:
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z412233297
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z378177352
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... Z402955445

hell if i can find a 2012 in my area with a better price than his and better kms i might go for it but there isn't. Best deal i found was 15k for an LX with 1,000km but it ended up being accidented repaired lol :|
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
the watcher wrote:

I dont know if I got it right, but don't you have to pay the tax too if you are buying the Civic from your friend? If so, 18K plus tax is about 20K give or take.....
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1218 upvotes
Sauga
the watcher wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 1:09 pm
To be honest the only reason im even considering the new is because of how bad of a value people are writing the used one is.
I think lots of them are looking at the $18000 number rather than the $19300 OTR number. If you compare the OTR numbers of new vs used with all the add-ons important to you, then there is a difference of over $4k.

In case you are not aware and care about it, the pre-2012 Civic doesn't have traction control and stability control. IMO, those are important features and if you're going to be keeping the car for 10 years, then you might as well get one that has those features. Plus the 2012 Civic uses 10-15% less gas than the previous model (see http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic ), so you'll save there in the long term too.
hell if i can find a 2012 in my area with a better price than his and better kms i might go for it but there isn't. Best deal i found was 15k for an LX with 1,000km but it ended up being accidented repaired lol :|
Nearly-new vehicles that are not former rentals and are reasonably priced are very hard to find. I think you have a reasonable option with your friend's vehicle... it's mostly an issue of whether that's the vehicle you want.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1332 upvotes
Rehan wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 1:29 pm
I think lots of them are looking at the $18000 number rather than the $19300 OTR number. If you compare the OTR numbers of new vs used with all the add-ons important to you, then there is a difference of over $4k.

In case you are not aware and care about it, the pre-2012 Civic doesn't have traction control and stability control. IMO, those are important features and if you're going to be keeping the car for 10 years, then you might as well get one that has those features. Plus the 2012 Civic uses 10-15% less gas than the previous model (see http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic ), so you'll save there in the long term too.

Nearly-new vehicles that are not former rentals and are reasonably priced are very hard to find. I think you have a reasonable option with your friend's vehicle... it's mostly an issue of whether that's the vehicle you want.
+1
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31842 posts
1332 upvotes
garyhudson wrote:
Oct 4th, 2012 1:13 pm
I dont know if I got it right, but don't you have to pay the tax too if you are buying the Civic from your friend? If so, 18K plus tax is about 20K give or take.....
Yes....but you can play with ( i.e low ball ) the reported ' bill of sale ' price a bit to minimize the tax. ;)
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!