Okay here it is: dont laugh lol

English: 86
Web: 91
Computer Engineering: 96
Calc: 67 (ya i kno this bites)
Physics: 76
Chem: 70

Overall Avg: 81%

I agree my calc mark blows..but i applied for Physical Sciences and Computer Engineering

I need minimum 75-78 for physical and 80-82% avg overall..these are gr12 U/M courses..so what are my odds?
31 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2007
1332 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
admission varies every year according to the number of applicants and their submitted marks.

However, if you have met their previous year's avg, that's probably good enough.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5708 posts
2278 upvotes
dont know what physical sciences is....but my friend in '06 got into life sci with a 84 average.

eng...they usually admit people with 78+ but don't expect to do well first year, you take 6 courses a term and usually have atleast 32 hours of class/tutorials a week.
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2007
1409 posts
106 upvotes
you may get accepted but surviving the program is another story
be prepared to study hard!
i have a few friends that flunked out...maybe i'm hanging out with the wrong crowd :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
the thing is my marks were really high over the years..i had some issues to deal with in sem one..which explains chem and physics

i am completely aware of the overwhelming difficulties of university..i kno its gonna be a lot harder than i think..but for now i hope i can get in for engineering at least..
goonx126 wrote: admission varies every year according to the number of applicants and their submitted marks.

However, if you have met their previous year's avg, that's probably good enough.

Actually, these cutoffs were revised March 4, 2008! So like a month old now..
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2065 posts
857 upvotes
Toronto
kenvin100 wrote: I agree my calc mark blows..but i applied for Physical Sciences and Computer Engineering
Computer Engineering traditionally has the hardest Calculus out of all other traditional engineering programs. Just something to ponder.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
thas why i also applied for physical sciences..this was actually my first choice since what happened to my functions mark! i am pretty good at physics..stupid labs lawl! lol

but i appreciate your comment..cause i am aware of it..
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
thx mate..so i assume u are in? wat was your avg..
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7629 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe I will see you guys @ the Mac Engineering Experience Weekend?

Info in the blue pamphlet.

BTW my average first sem was 80.3
<no colour in signatures>
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
so u got in with 80.3? what courses did u have that time?
Aug 20, 2006
396 posts
50 upvotes
Mac Eng accepts people with avgs from 78+ based on what I've seen over the last couple years...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7629 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
kenvin100 wrote: so u got in with 80.3? what courses did u have that time?
English, Biology, Advanced Functions

now I have

Chemistry, Physics, Calculus
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5708 posts
2278 upvotes
CanadaBoy wrote: English, Biology, Advanced Functions

now I have

Chemistry, Physics, Calculus
ur gonna need to keep that avg > 77 i believe for guaranteed res. and don't plan on ****in around too much in 1st year eng...i know someone who had around 80 coming in to 1st year eng and he failed 3 courses that year....so beware.

and plus dont be surprised if there are kids 20/21 in that took a couple of years off. one more thing, there are also the serious number crunching machines that claim to have gotten 95 avgs in high school (you will find out who is lying and who isn't by years end LOL)

Got into mac commerce in 06/07, 86.7% at end of first sem and 83 after finals with calc, data, eng4u, bio, comm tech (2 creds) and music....but that was eons ago in university terms....you'll know what i mean when you are 2nd year and seeing all the fresh new faces...and seeing ur 4th year buddies that u met grad.
Journie: Use my promo code JR-ColinTOUM during registration, and you’ll automatically save 2¢/ L on your next fill-up. (Full disclosure: Once you do, I get a discount, too!)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
hmm mayb i should've taken two spares lol..
Feb 14, 2008
111 posts
Nah, your courseload doesn't even look that heavy. I took calc, discrete, physics and chem all in the same semester last year (all gr12) and still ended up with a mid-80 average. You just gotta learn how to manage your time.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2005
7629 posts
655 upvotes
Toronto
ProfessorChaos wrote: ur gonna need to keep that avg > 77 i believe for guaranteed res. and don't plan on ****in around too much in 1st year eng...i know someone who had around 80 coming in to 1st year eng and he failed 3 courses that year....so beware.

and plus dont be surprised if there are kids 20/21 in that took a couple of years off. one more thing, there are also the serious number crunching machines that claim to have gotten 95 avgs in high school (you will find out who is lying and who isn't by years end LOL)

Got into mac commerce in 06/07, 86.7% at end of first sem and 83 after finals with calc, data, eng4u, bio, comm tech (2 creds) and music....but that was eons ago in university terms....you'll know what i mean when you are 2nd year and seeing all the fresh new faces...and seeing ur 4th year buddies that u met grad.
:-0 kay I have a 78.3% after midterm
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
Aestas wrote: Nah, your courseload doesn't even look that heavy. I took calc, discrete, physics and chem all in the same semester last year (all gr12) and still ended up with a mid-80 average. You just gotta learn how to manage your time.
least u get a book for discrete..they split our advanced functions and introductory calculus into two more courses..we had no book in advanced functions and are about to finish calculus with a book..by next week..we're gonna go into some discrete stuff with no book! :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2357 posts
907 upvotes
yikes my marks are in..wish me luck lol
Jun 21, 2005
983 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
kenvin100 wrote: least u get a book for discrete..they split our advanced functions and introductory calculus into two more courses..we had no book in advanced functions and are about to finish calculus with a book..by next week..we're gonna go into some discrete stuff with no book! :twisted:
Yes this was hard to deal with. I found Advanced Functions more annoying because we don't have a text book for like months. With calculus + vectors, we used the Geometry textbook from last year for vectors, and for calculus we are using the old functions + introductory calculus textbook. I have an 86 in functions at midterm and 84 in calculus, not great but to be honest I haven't tried since I got my early acceptances.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)