Home & Garden

Good enough soundproofing? “Acoustically engineered double stud demising walls with 3 layers of fire rated drywall

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 10:58 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5868 posts
1430 upvotes

Good enough soundproofing? “Acoustically engineered double stud demising walls with 3 layers of fire rated drywall

...and sound insulation between units.”

Trying to see if this is adequate soundproofing of a townhouse.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12687 posts
3110 upvotes
Here 'n There
What kind of sound insulation? What brand? They say 'acoustically engineered' but some elaboration on that is required. Double stud does decrease sound travel. Certain kinds of sound can be dampened more than others. The effectiveness of what they claim all depends on the quality of workmanship and materials and if it was done properly, not to mention they actually did what they claim. You need to inspect and test it to know for sure.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5868 posts
1430 upvotes
eonibm wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 9:59 am
What kind of sound insulation? What brand? They say 'acoustically engineered' but some elaboration on that is required. Double stud does decrease sound travel. Certain kinds of sound can be dampened more than others. The effectiveness of what they claim all depends on the quality of workmanship and materials and if it was done properly, not to mention they actually did what they claim. You need to inspect and test it to know for sure.
I’d the double stud and 3 sheets typical of new build townhouses? As far products used I’ll have to find out but even though f they use good stuff, workmanship may be crap. I guess only way to know is what nspecting myself.

Does geeen glue work?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7873 posts
6279 upvotes
Oakville
There are limits to what you can do with sound deadening. Even detached homes can still hear neighbours in some cases.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1171 posts
555 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:32 pm
I’d the double stud and 3 sheets typical of new build townhouses? As far products used I’ll have to find out but even though f they use good stuff, workmanship may be crap. I guess only way to know is what nspecting myself.

Does geeen glue work?
Depends, some still will do cinder block walls btwn units
May 11, 2008
506 posts
161 upvotes
Vancouver
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:32 pm

Does geeen glue work?
Typically I've seen the following: layer of GWB - 2x4 stud - absorptive material - 1/2" air gap - ply sheathing - 2x4 stud - absorptive material - layer of GWB
This should get you an STC rating of 57, if you have 2 layers of GWB on each side you should get an STC rating of 66.
The additional layers of GWB will also increase the FRR.
Granted this is based on the BCBC (for wall type W13a), I'm not sure where you're located so you could be governed by the OBC or NBC.

For reference, most offices are designed to about an STC rating in the 50's, unless it's for a room higher security/sensitive information then they'll usually try to get around an STC rating of 61.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5868 posts
1430 upvotes
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 1:19 am
Depends, some still will do cinder block walls btwn units
yea, cinder block is the best. I don't see this too often though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
5868 posts
1430 upvotes
aznrsx1979 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 5:40 pm
Typically I've seen the following: layer of GWB - 2x4 stud - absorptive material - 1/2" air gap - ply sheathing - 2x4 stud - absorptive material - layer of GWB
This should get you an STC rating of 57, if you have 2 layers of GWB on each side you should get an STC rating of 66.
The additional layers of GWB will also increase the FRR.
Granted this is based on the BCBC (for wall type W13a), I'm not sure where you're located so you could be governed by the OBC or NBC.

For reference, most offices are designed to about an STC rating in the 50's, unless it's for a room higher security/sensitive information then they'll usually try to get around an STC rating of 61.
I'm in Ontario. Holy acronym overload! I get the gist of it though. Very informative post.
May 11, 2008
506 posts
161 upvotes
Vancouver
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 5:50 pm
I'm in Ontario. Holy acronym overload! I get the gist of it though. Very informative post.
Try working on a government job, their projects are all acronyms.
What's worse is they have different departments using the same acronym.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2018
1171 posts
555 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 5:48 pm
yea, cinder block is the best. I don't see this too often though.
From my casual observations, treasurer hill still does this from their recent projects while others are mostly drywall unless it's a required firebreak wall as per requirements

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)