• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2009 4:04 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2005
510 posts
60 upvotes

Good Furniture Stores?

Hey everyone! I just recently bought a house and am in the market for furniture. My fiance and I both have basically nothing that we are bringing with us, so we are starting from scratch. At the moment, we are trying to find a bedroom set, but have been pretty dissapointed with what we have found on the market. There is one set we have seen at the Brick which we kind of liked, but I'm hoping to get something of a little better quality. We've been shopping around, and it seems are tastes are both considered more contemporary with a touch of modern. Definitely not full out modern at all. A classic look. What I've found is the 'average' sets have wood drawers basically moving on pieces of plastic. Not smooth or anything. I have found one set at Arrow furniture which wasn't bad, and it had a railing system.

Can anyone suggest any furniture stores to look at? We have gone to the Kennedy furniture section, and found basically nothing. I'm willing to spend a little more, but not break the bank. Say max range to be in the $3000 area (without mattress, etc). That would be for a bed, two side tables, and one of those tall dresser-drawer units. (just so that people don't start sending us to places where beds are $7000)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We're just looking for a bedroom set for now so that I can move into the place, and then work on the rest of the rooms after that.

Thanks in advance!

John
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2325 posts
87 upvotes
GTA
Search furniture and you'll find quite a few useful threads on this topic. Also, if you have some time, I'd visit King Street East as there are a number of furniture shops there, some with Asian made furniture and some with Canadian and/or Italian.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
4716 posts
233 upvotes
Markham
links / reviews -- http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... 243&page=4

Visited Sterlinghouse during the civic holiday weekend...it's part of a interior design/furniture plaza at the Oakville/Mississauga border. Could be worth a look

(saw similar stuff as stores @ Queen W & Bathurst, slightly cheaper though at Oakville/Miss)
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
[OP]
Mar 7, 2005
510 posts
60 upvotes
Thanks for the quick replies. Went through a few of the furniture places I saw in the other thread...there just seems to be a ton of places out there to buy furniture.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
Some of the gems we found ..

GH Johnson - a furniture trading company. They carry almost every brand you find at other furniture stores but at greatly reduced prices. Ex. We saw a couch for over $2000 at Pavillion and GH Johnson offered it to us for $1100. You can take a photo from the other store or try to find out what brand/model it is.

Real Time Furniture - they are the importer for Eztia (carried at Bay and many other furniture stores we have seen). Their prices were less than half of what we saw outside. They are also very willing to negotiate and had great customer service. Pick up or delivery is usually within 2 or 3 days.

Simply Elegant - very cheap mattresses. Others had problems with them but our mattress came in perfect condition and we are very happy.

-----------------

Some other options ..

Urban Barn - I actually really liked some pieces from them. I believe they are more competitively priced than other big name stores.

Kitchen Stuff Plus - they carry Sunpan (you will see them at many other stores) for the lowest prices we have seen. They can order anything from the Sunpan catalogues.

Furniture Toronto - large selection of contempary furniture. The prices are decent but not dirt cheap.

Brampton Trade Only stores - there are many furniture and home decor trade only stores in Brampton. They will usually let you buy if you have a registered business (even though it is not in the trade). I was shocked at the prices I found here. There was one store with a dining room set with 4 chairs for only $250 - we saw the same set for $1500 downtown.

-----------------

Look for closing, moving or going out of business sales (this is really by luck if you find them). I picked up my dining room table from a store moving sale for an amazing deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1655 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga
We had to buy everything from scratch and we also had a tight budget....but we have champagne tastes :) ..personally i hate the brick and leons - prefer more of the king west/queen street look - but don't have the budget to support it (and we live in Mississauga).....sooooo we got our stuff from:

Structube - highly recommend them, prices are competitive, merchandise is modern/contemporary but not too much so. We bought our couch from there - we weren't willing to get an ugly couch to save some $$

Pier One - Especially their clearance section...we got a headboard for $89 - marked down from $550, our coffee table is from there, +a number of vases we were able to grab during the clearance store closing

and believe it or not, Loblaws/Superstore - granted not the best quality, but for very cheap, stylish stuff and better looking than Ikea (IMHO)....console table, dining table, 6 dining table chairs, bedside tables, bedroom dressers, those ladder shelves that everyone has - again their stuff always goes on clearance

Homesense - for 600 thread count sheets, towels, paintings, etc.

Kitchen Stuff Plus - for kitchen needs and some decor...best prices we could find for curtain rods and finials...

Ikea - mostly just for accents....great price on linen drapes...we also got some stuff from the As-Is section...e.g. rugs for $75...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22671 posts
868 upvotes
Markham, ON
my apologies for not updating the link attached...i went thru this 2 years ago and have no need for furniture right now.

And as a result, I am really out of the loop in regards to furniture....now if you ask me about newborn furniture....i have a whole new list collected for the past 2-3 months in the GTA :lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
I second Homesense. I got so many great items from there. I got a giftcard so even more savings.

Bouclair also has some nice finds. I got a great standing lamp from there.
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
If you are not super picky about every minor design detail, I would suggest that you go to the stores around the Kennedy area and ask them to do minor design changes for you.

A lot of the furnitures that you can pick and choose the wood and colour on Kennedy are made within the GTA area. You may find a bed that you like from one set but you don't like the chester-drawer set. And you may find that you like a chester-drawer from another set but not the bed itself. Ask them to make the bed from the first set and the chester-drawer from the second set --- in the wood and colour of your choosing.

I have done it personally for my dining room set. I wanted a decent 54 inch round wood dining room table with 6 chairs, but can't find one within my tight budget. I am Chinese so a round dining room table suits our eating habits much more than rectangular tables. Selection for round dining room table is not that big (within my budget) --- it's either cheap 48 inch breakfast dinette set, decent wooden base/glass top combo (Arrow or Leon), and whatever you find from Bombay (don't like the all cloth chair and black/ebony colour wood).

So I went to a store on Kennedy (don't remember the name of the store) --- saw a couple of dining room sets. The first set has nice maple wood, but I didn't like the chairs. The second set was made out of oak (which I didn't like), but I liked the chairs. Both of them are your average rectangular dining room tables with extendable leaves. So I asked the store owner if they can make me a 54 inch round dining room table, and 6 chairs from the second set design --- all in maple --- and they said yes (and within my budget as well).
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
2325 posts
87 upvotes
GTA
CharmyPoo wrote:
Aug 29th, 2007 1:13 am

GH Johnson - a furniture trading company. They carry almost every brand you find at other furniture stores but at greatly reduced prices. Ex. We saw a couch for over $2000 at Pavillion and GH Johnson offered it to us for $1100. You can take a photo from the other store or try to find out what brand/model it is.
Do you have any contact info for GH?
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
The_Professor wrote:
Aug 29th, 2007 3:45 pm
Do you have any contact info for GH?
950 Dupont St
Toronto, ON
M6H 1Z4

Phone: 416-532-6700
Hours: M-Sa 10am-6pm, Su 12pm-5pm

I worked with a sales guy named Harvey. He was more helpful than the others I spoke to.
[OP]
Mar 7, 2005
510 posts
60 upvotes
Thanks for the continued feedback. I read up a little on GH Johnson...mixed reviews. The prices and everything seem fine, but there are some really interesting stories regarding delivery, etc.

Have to spend some time taking a look at some of these stores.
Apr 15, 2007
62 posts
gta
I've been to this store.. a MUST visit store if you're looking for quality/classy furniture at a good price.
CharmyPoo wrote:
Aug 29th, 2007 4:10 pm
950 Dupont St
Toronto, ON
M6H 1Z4

Phone: 416-532-6700
Hours: M-Sa 10am-6pm, Su 12pm-5pm

I worked with a sales guy named Harvey. He was more helpful than the others I spoke to.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1083 posts
30 upvotes
GH Johnson is great for the price but you may have to make some scarfices on the delivery time. As long as you follow up with them and aren't in a rush, you won't have a problem.
× < >