Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6593 posts
931 upvotes

Is this a good hair clipper - Oster Fast Feed Clipper

Hi,

Currently I just have a cheap one, but want to start doing myself.

Is this good, Id like to ask here please before I buy it.

Oster Fast Feed Clipper

The Amazon reviews look good:
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Fast-Feed-C ... B000B76T52

Finally are there any good online stores I can buy from in Canada?

I found an Ebay shop who sells it for about 60$ USD shipped to me in Canada. Personal Edge at the mall charges 120CAD.
Are there any stores priced in between?

Also the Oster 76 looks nice, but its around $200 with no attachments. The FastFeed model is good enough do you think? Im just one person and dont cut sheeps or other animals, LOL, but like quality stuff and over my life the difference wont matter that much.

Thanks!
29 replies
Jul 3, 2008
265 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Invest in a good set, it's worth it if you're shaving your own head on a weekly basis. When I started shaving my own hair I bought a set of Conairs from the Bay. Garbage. You'll wonder who you functioned with them once you use a quality brand.

Those Osters are definitely good... anything from Oster or Wahl is what you should be looking at, and $60US is as cheap as I've seen. They're hard to come by outside of beauty supply dealers that don't sell to the general public.

I have Wahl clippers that I've been using since 2002. Used once a week, original blades, works like new. Just gotta keep the blades clean and oiled after each use.
Nov 2, 2005
384 posts
8 upvotes
+1

Just don't drop it. The blade is an expensive replacement. Aside from that, I've been using the same one for 7yrs now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6593 posts
931 upvotes
mliongco wrote:
Oct 30th, 2009 4:52 pm
+1

Just don't drop it. The blade is an expensive replacement. Aside from that, I've been using the same one for 7yrs now.
Good recommendation, it must be really weel build to last you 7 years plus.

Can you please give me your opinion as to if you think the Fast Feed is adequate or would you like to have gotten the Classic 76 model.

(If it lasts 7+ years the extra cost wont matter at all, but the 76 is bulkier and heavier, where the Fast Feed is smaller and handier to move around...)

Just trying to decide between the two, thanks!

Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2005
3493 posts
7 upvotes
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but anyone know where to get professional hair scissors like the one used in salon?
Mar 14, 2003
579 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
xinhang wrote:
Oct 31st, 2009 9:54 am
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but anyone know where to get professional hair scissors like the one used in salon?
try http://www.tbbs.ca/

To the OP - they also carry professional Wahl clippers, I got mine 3-4 years ago and they are still great (used every 2 weeks) .. well worth the investment, I would recommend a set that aren't made of plastic (the plastic on my previous ones cracked and eventually broke)
Nov 2, 2005
384 posts
8 upvotes
JohnB wrote:
Oct 31st, 2009 1:45 am
Good recommendation, it must be really weel build to last you 7 years plus.

Can you please give me your opinion as to if you think the Fast Feed is adequate or would you like to have gotten the Classic 76 model.

(If it lasts 7+ years the extra cost wont matter at all, but the 76 is bulkier and heavier, where the Fast Feed is smaller and handier to move around...)

Just trying to decide between the two, thanks!

I was considering the 76 when I bought the Fast Feed, but it was more expensive, heavier, and attachments were expensive as well. The fastfeed gets the job done. Just remember to open it up after a few uses to remove the hair that gets into the housing and oil up the blades. Mine is still going on strong, and I will buy another one if and when this dies.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6593 posts
931 upvotes
mliongco wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2009 11:25 am
I was considering the 76 when I bought the Fast Feed, but it was more expensive, heavier, and attachments were expensive as well. The fastfeed gets the job done. Just remember to open it up after a few uses to remove the hair that gets into the housing and oil up the blades. Mine is still going on strong, and I will buy another one if and when this dies.
Thanks, I am leaning to the FastFeed can you please address one concern I have about the FastFeed blade set-up.

On the top near the blade there seems to be a lever that adjusts the blade from 000 to 1:

Can you accidentally move it, is the lever kind of flimsy?

Or can you just set it at one length and leave it there and it wont move.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
Nov 2, 2005
384 posts
8 upvotes
JohnB wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2009 6:44 pm
Thanks, I am leaning to the FastFeed can you please address one concern I have about the FastFeed blade set-up.

On the top near the blade there seems to be a lever that adjusts the blade from 000 to 1:

Can you accidentally move it, is the lever kind of flimsy?

Or can you just set it at one length and leave it there and it wont move.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

It's pretty sturdy and it will stay at the adjusted level. But again, I stress that you be careful and NOT drop it. The housing is plastic and it can easily damage when drop. I dropped it once be it broke in away that I could crazy glue it back in place. I've been extra careful with it since.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6593 posts
931 upvotes
Thanks, I will prob get the FastFeed now that you said the lever is okay.

I will be sure not to drop it, Im pretty careful with my stuff, maybe I will make a little lanyard for it.

But too bad it doesn't come in metal.

The 76 Classics, in contrast, have some versions for pets, which comes in a metal casing, and include a plastic storage case, which would be nice to have.
Nov 15, 2006
434 posts
30 upvotes
Upping. Wanted to see if anyone knows where to get the best deal on the Classic 76 clippers.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1801 posts
585 upvotes
Personal edge has the oster fast feed on for $79 reg. $120.
Mar 8, 2010
7 posts
Ontario
Exocet77 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 11:23 pm
Personal edge has the oster fast feed on for $79 reg. $120.

Hi...

I was hoping somebody could tell me where I can pick up these clippers for a good price?

It appears I missed the sale at Personal Edge and I can't seem to find this product at any other Canadian retailer .. online or in person.

Thanks.
Feb 13, 2009
299 posts
41 upvotes
I'm also looking for a pair of Fast Feeds. Sally has them on for $79.99. I must have missed the sale because just yesterday they were $69.99.

Also, while we're in the vicinity, does anyone know where you can get your blades sharpened? Preferably east of Toronto and other than Personal Edge. The need to have them done on site whilst you wait or do some close by shopping before pick up is also a necessity. Thank you.

EDIT: just like to confirm that the price of the Fast Feed's @ Personal Edge are still $79.98. Comes to $90 and change with tax. Fantastic deal considering places like Sally sell it for $112 on sale; even though their website also says $79.99. Apparently this is the U.S price.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1085 posts
37 upvotes
Woodbridge
Pottertons wrote:
Dec 4th, 2010 10:35 am
I'm also looking for a pair of Fast Feeds. Sally has them on for $79.99. I must have missed the sale because just yesterday they were $69.99.

Also, while we're in the vicinity, does anyone know where you can get your blades sharpened? Preferably east of Toronto and other than Personal Edge. The need to have them done on site whilst you wait or do some close by shopping before pick up is also a necessity. Thank you.

EDIT: just like to confirm that the price of the Fast Feed's @ Personal Edge are still $79.98. Comes to $90 and change with tax. Fantastic deal considering places like Sally sell it for $112 on sale; even though their website also says $79.99. Apparently this is the U.S price.

J Tarnow Co is probably the only Oster service centre in Toronto. They do sharpening. Not far from Yorkdale Mall, here's their website http://www.hairclippers.ca/ . They should have the Fast Feeds as well, but I don't know the price. Should be pretty decent though, I almost purchased the Andis T-Outliner for $75 over there (they're at least $90 in most places), but didn't have enough cash.
× < >