• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2015 11:21 pm
Tags:
None
13 replies
Jul 31, 2007
4 posts
Ottawa
Read the Q and A on the Cdn Tire site.. there is lots of info there... sounds like you already have though.

I have one.. nothing really bad to say. Left it up all winter.. made it through some strong winds.

The fabric walls do not handle wind well..have not used them much as a result. Need to build a tie down system for them.

Anyone find where to buy the matching hardtop BBQ Grill? HD sold it in 2010 and I have seen picks of it on the net.. but cannot find where to buy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1282 posts
260 upvotes
Woodbridge
largedaryl wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 10:17 am
Read the Q and A on the Cdn Tire site.. there is lots of info there... sounds like you already have though.

I have one.. nothing really bad to say. Left it up all winter.. made it through some strong winds.

The fabric walls do not handle wind well..have not used them much as a result. Need to build a tie down system for them.

Anyone find where to buy the matching hardtop BBQ Grill? HD sold it in 2010 and I have seen picks of it on the net.. but cannot find where to buy.

Thank you. It's not that I don't trust Canadian Tire reviews, it's that I trust RFD reviews much more.

Do you notice any rusting?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1726 posts
253 upvotes
wheelz wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 9:42 am
I'm looking to get a hardtop Gazebo for my backyard and seen this one at Canadian tire which gets pretty good reviews:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... ?locale=en

Anyone here have any experience with this one?

Costco has them...they had one built inside and I shook it to test it. It's very sturdy. I think it was 799 which was cheap for the quality.
I think box said it was aluminum.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1282 posts
260 upvotes
Woodbridge
joongpark wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 2:20 pm
Costco has them...they had one built inside and I shook it to test it. It's very sturdy. I think it was 799 which was cheap for the quality.
I think box said it was aluminum.

Hope that helps.

Most of the Costco one's I've seen say that the roof panels are polycarbonate and heard I lot of people complaining about there durability. They have a 12x12 with steel roof but slightly to big for my space.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1
Aug 31, 2010
55 posts
74 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
wheelz wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 3:42 pm
Most of the Costco one's I've seen say that the roof panels are polycarbonate and heard I lot of people complaining about there durability. They have a 12x12 with steel roof but slightly to big for my space.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... opnav=&s=1

Canadian Tire ones offer lower price points but they don't feel sturdy at all. Spending a bit more for things like stainless steel or aluminum, welded seams vs. actual screws and a tethered base (where all four legs can be anchored to your ground via screws or spikes) can go a long way in making sure you don't keep buying new gazebos because your old one flew into the neighbour's yard :)

Lowes and Home Depot offer have alot of sturdy alternatives on the pricey side but tend to get prices reduced 30-40% towards the end of Summer. That's how I got my parents a gazebo.. paid $699 for a 12x12 hard top, vented gazebo that was regular $1299.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1282 posts
260 upvotes
Woodbridge
JeffreyC wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2012 6:55 pm
Canadian Tire ones offer lower price points but they don't feel sturdy at all. Spending a bit more for things like stainless steel or aluminum, welded seams vs. actual screws and a tethered base (where all four legs can be anchored to your ground via screws or spikes) can go a long way in making sure you don't keep buying new gazebos because your old one flew into the neighbour's yard :)

Lowes and Home Depot offer have alot of sturdy alternatives on the pricey side but tend to get prices reduced 30-40% towards the end of Summer. That's how I got my parents a gazebo.. paid $699 for a 12x12 hard top, vented gazebo that was regular $1299.

What material top does it have? How's it holding up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
1282 posts
260 upvotes
Woodbridge
wheelz wrote:
I'm looking to get a hardtop Gazebo for my backyard and seen this one at Canadian tire which gets pretty good reviews:

Just an update to this thread. I ended up buying the Canadian Tire Essex Gazebo for $899. It's very solid and comes with good instructions. You will definitely need help lifting the roof, it's a heavy sucker.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2652 posts
422 upvotes
Ottawa
At 120 sqft doesn't this require a permit in most municipalities?
Jul 31, 2007
4 posts
Ottawa
Someones asked about rust. Yes, the Cdn tire one has started to run just at the 4 joints that hold the roof up.. this is after one winter. Looks fine now but you can see the rust bubbles forming underneath. The touch up paint was dry when bought and customer support cannot ship a new touch up via mail so we are on our own to match the colour.

Cdn tire one is galvinized steel roof as far as I have read.. and yes, heavy as a result.

120 sq ft for permit???... will worry about when the city asks for $ for a structure with no walls... too many money grabs in this world.

Anyone see they baby cousin of the Cdn Tire hardtop - the BBQ Grill 8x5 ? Used to sell via HD a couple years back but cannot find it anywhere now. They match each other perfectly.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
2652 posts
422 upvotes
Ottawa
largedaryl wrote:
May 14th, 2012 12:25 pm
120 sq ft for permit???... will worry about when the city asks for $ for a structure with no walls... too many money grabs in this world.

While I was only joking when I made the comment further research reveals that many municipalities do indeed require a permit :-0 .

The following statement from Ottawa tells us that gazebos of greater than 10 square metres do require a permit.

http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/buil ... index.html
"A building permit is not required for a detached accessory structure (gazebo, tool shed, etc.) that measures 10 square metres (108 square feet) in area or less."

Of course, this is yet another one of their pointless by-laws that doesn't get enforced unless you're unlucky or your neighbour has a grudge against you.
May 2, 2015
2 posts
Brantford
wheelz wrote:

The Gazebo itself is awesome, very sturdy and no more junk fabric canopy's to replaced every 2-3 years, but the $199 walls and netting leave a bit to be desired for the price. After 1 yr they are shot with very sticky zippers that jam up, fades fast. at $199 its a bit much.
× < >