Cell Phones

Is it a good idea to buy smart phone from eBay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 9:56 am
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa

Is it a good idea to buy smart phone from eBay?

Hi all, I plan to my first smart phone LG G6, I plan buy a unlocked phone and get a cheap plan from publicmobile. I saw LG G6 is around $150 cheaper than buy from Freedom mobile. I am wondering is it a good idea buy phone this way? Or do you guys have any good idea to buy cheap unlock phone? thanks
22 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
As long as OP uses PayPal, they should be ok with the 6 months buyer's protection via PayPal.

Mind you, also factor in duty. You'd likely lose the $150 savings in import duty, unless buying from a Canadian seller.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for advise. If I don't want to spend too much on a smart phone and plan to get a mint condition used smart phone, what is the best source to buy it? from kijiji? or any other online website?

thanks again
Feb 11, 2015
197 posts
248 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Thanks for advise. If I don't want to spend too much on a smart phone and plan to get a mint condition used smart phone, what is the best source to buy it? from kijiji? or any other online website?

thanks again
Kijiji is usually one of the more risky places to buy something since you are paying in cash and have no way of having problems resolved. You can find unlocked smartphones on Best buy and Staples websites but usually they are more expensive. In my opinion the best place to buy a phone would be eBay since you have both eBay and PayPal on your side if something goes wrong. Just make sure you are buying from a seller with a lot of good feedback and make sure to read the description of the item carefully. Also if you are buying from eBay make sure the phone is compatible with the carrier you are planning to go with.
Public mobile $15 + Fido $15 Tablet plan
Zoomer: $36, 4gb data
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Although I sell phones on Kijiji, I wouldn't recommend buying there, especially the higher end phones. Lower priced phones on Kijiji are lower risk (are you going to risk a follow-up with insurance and police to screw-over a buyer for a $150-250 phone??). Fortunately resorting to Kijiji is usually not necessary as there are enough good deals floating around through carriers or the pre-paid rack. All that might change by December 1st with all phones being unlocked.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Hi all, I plan to my first smart phone LG G6, I plan buy a unlocked phone and get a cheap plan from publicmobile. I saw LG G6 is around $150 cheaper than buy from Freedom mobile. I am wondering is it a good idea buy phone this way? Or do you guys have any good idea to buy cheap unlock phone? thanks
Not a good idea to buy a brand new phone from ebay or Kijiji, etc

Try newegg.ca or B&H Photo

LG G6 on sale now at B&H Photo. USD549.99 (approx CAD726.37). I would recommend that you let B&H clear customs for you (additional cost).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html

Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
stack21 wrote: Not a good idea to buy a brand new phone from ebay or Kijiji, etc

Try newegg.ca or B&H Photo

LG G6 on sale now at B&H Photo. USD549.99 (approx CAD726.37). I would recommend that you let B&H clear customs for you (additional cost).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... phone.html

I am interested to buy from B&H instead of ebay after I check the price. If I ask B&H to clear customs, so it means it is tax included? and the price that I pay to B&H is the final price?

Also, should I buy used unit from B&H? it is around $150 cheaper with condition score 9/10.

thanks
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: I am interested to buy from B&H instead of ebay after I check the price. If I ask B&H to clear customs, so it means it is tax included? and the price that I pay to B&H is the final price?

Also, should I buy used unit from B&H? it is around $150 cheaper with condition score 9/10.

thanks
If you ask B&H to clear customs, there are custom duties to be paid. In this case, the customs clearance is USD67. The price you pay B&H is the final price. So price of the phone is USD549.99 + USD67 = USD616.99. That is the final price.

Add to cart and select your province to find out how much the custom fees are:

If you don't mind used, then you can buy used from B&H. B&H is reputable. If you miss this, the used LG G6 product page has this "Shows signs of use, but very clean" but condition is "9".
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
stack21 wrote: If you ask B&H to clear customs, there are custom duties to be paid. In this case, the customs clearance is USD67. The price you pay B&H is the final price. So price of the phone is USD549.99 + USD67 = USD616.99. That is the final price.

Add to cart and select your province to find out how much the custom fees are:

If you don't mind used, then you can buy used from B&H. B&H is reputable. If you miss this, the used LG G6 product page has this "Shows signs of use, but very clean" but condition is "9".
Thanks for your advise. At the end, I bought a used LG V20 for US$299 (condition 9/10), around CAN$460 included custom, which is pretty cheap from my point of view when you consider it is a new release 7 months ago. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Oct 11, 2016
38 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting, Can you explain how to do that? "let B&H clear customs for you (additional cost)."
There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood leads on to fortune.. :twisted:
Oct 11, 2016
38 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
That's exactly what i was thinking about doing.

Are you happy with the purchase? Any issues with the used phone/ battery life?

How does the phone look with 9/10 condition?

Sorry for too many questions Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood leads on to fortune.. :twisted:
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
TopQuad wrote: That's exactly what i was thinking about doing.

Are you happy with the purchase? Any issues with the used phone/ battery life?

How does the phone look with 9/10 condition?

Sorry for too many questions Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Well, I wanna answer your questions, but I just order the phone yesterday and it will take 4 to 8 days. Anyhow, I hope the process will be smooth and since B&H is a big company, so I am not too worry. Since it is my first smartphone, so I am a bit surprise why most of smartphones (except for iphone) drop their value 40%-60% within 7-8 months. If that is the case, why ppl will buy brand new phones???? Of course, new release brand new phone is a bit faster and smell better Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes!
Oct 11, 2016
38 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Not really, all high end Samsung phones usually keep their values as well, maybe not as much as iPhone but still.

The reason is the battery life, when you buy a second hand phone you never know how the person charged the phone and if the battery holds charge at all. It's a risk you are taking and batteries are not cheap to replace.
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Thanks for your advise. At the end, I bought a used LG V20 for US$299 (condition 9/10), around CAN$460 included custom, which is pretty cheap from my point of view when you consider it is a new release 7 months ago. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Sounds like a good deal. Will be happy to see your review of the used V20 when you receive it
Jan 17, 2013
778 posts
379 upvotes
TopQuad wrote: Interesting, Can you explain how to do that? "let B&H clear customs for you (additional cost)."
If you buy from a store in the USA, the shipper (UPS, Fedex, etc) will invoice you for customs brokerage, GST/PST, etc. The amount they charge varies, from reasonable to ridiculous. You won't know how much is charged until the day you receive the package.

In the case of B&H which is a US store, they can clear customs for you (handle the customs brokerage, GST/PST, etc) and let you know how much is the customs fees before you place the order. That custom fee shown is the fixed, you have peace of mind of what the final cost is. As such, buying from B&H is no different from buying online from a Canadian store.

Last edited by stack21 on Jun 21st, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
stack21 wrote: Sounds like a good deal. Will be happy to see your review of the used V20 when you receive it
Sure, I will post my review once I received it. I was plan to get iphone after I compare the price, LG and Samsung seems to have better value. Since it is my first smartphone, I assume it will take me a while to learn how to use the phone.
Oct 11, 2016
38 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you very much for explaining. That charge looks pretty reasonable.
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
OK, my LG V20 is finally arrived, it took 4 business days thru UPS. Even the website give 9/10 condition, I think the unit is near to brand new. I don't find any issues or dent on the phone. For around CAN$450 shipped, I think it is a pretty good deal. Thanks for all devise. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)