Wheels and Tires

Is it a good idea to replace my tires winter tires now?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2019 1:39 am
[OP]
Aug 24, 2014
219 posts
9 upvotes
North York

Is it a good idea to replace my tires winter tires now?

I've been travelling abroad for several months.

Now I'm back to Canada, and my car with all season tires is still sitting in my garage.

Winter is almost over, but roads seem icy.

I need to drive every day, but I don't know if it's a good idea to get my tires changed with winter tires now.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4148 posts
505 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I would say you have another month of winter driving still, so yes it's a good idea and you can also find some deals right now.

For example, CT has Michelin X-Ice 2 on sale.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pd ... 82011.html

The risk of not having good tires still is obviously an accident, deductible and rate increase if at fault. Not to mention the obvious, injury, etc
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3967 posts
1459 upvotes
Mississauga
Size selection might be a challenge but if you can get them, get them.

Many years ago I bought a new car in January and was still able to get winter tires for it.
Aug 6, 2017
176 posts
203 upvotes
Also an important consideration is if you told your insurance company that you have winter tires fitted, you must have them installed during the stipulated period.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3104 posts
2377 upvotes
The NORTH
Winter is almost over... LOL

With the polar vortex's this season there is no telling when "Winter will be over". Not to mention that winter tires handle slush and melt better than all seasons.

And does your insurance include a rider for having winter tires on your vehicle?

The Pro's seriously outweigh the cons for having winters.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3053 posts
1095 upvotes
Toronto
gushingtears wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 4:21 am
I need to drive every day, but I don't know if it's a good idea to get my tires changed with winter tires now.
Do you already have winter tires & wheels? If so it is the cost of a tire swap. Do it.

If not, what, where & how far are you driving?
If North York and local - consider taxi's or transit if the roads get bad. You have all seasons on already - the major streets are usually nicely cleared within 24 hrs in the city. If you head into snow belt areas, consider the winters.

As others have said, stock may be limited and there may be a few deals around. We replaced the winters on the wife's car about 3 weeks ago. She has dedicated summer & winter tires so that was a factor.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2867 posts
1686 upvotes
I think winter tires are started to be on clearance prices now. So it may not be a bad time to get some if you are running this car for at least 2 more winters.

And if you don't want to spring for name brands, there are cheaper brands that while not as good, still superior to all seasons.
Dec 15, 2017
941 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
I love how everybody assumes "winter is almost over" when Toronto has had the worse snowstorms at the end of March.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9809 posts
2235 upvotes
Markham
You think There will be no winter in Dec 2019 or 2020?
You are going to need it in the future, why not get them now and protect yourself, and other’s safety from day one.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2001 posts
2044 upvotes
GTA
Winter tires will be useful until the end of April.
Nov 13, 2013
58 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
I just got my winters this weekend. I've been abroad since the summer, and I am usually only in Toronto for 2-3 months a year. But not going to risk or limit where I can drive with the summers tyres it had.

Even at 600-700 a tyre ( 325/30/21) it's worth the peace of mind . Nothing worse than getting into an accident from a single snowfall / ice storm, and having to deal with repairs /depreciation, or the risk of someone else getting injured due to you loosing control in an otherwise preventable situation.

All-seasons can get you by, but if you are driving quite a bit, just put some winters on or by a set with new rims and do the swap-over every season yourself.
Last edited by MitSLo on Feb 20th, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 15, 2017
941 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto
MitSLo wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 1:00 am
I just got my winters this weekend. I've been abroad since the summer, and I am usually only in Toronto for 2-3 months a year. But not going to risk or limit where I can drive with the summers tyres it had.

Even at 600-700 a tyre ( 315/30/21) it's worth the peace of mind . Nothing worse than getting into an accident from a single snowfall / ice storm, and having to deal with repairs /depreciation, or the risk of someone else getting injured due to you loosing control in an otherwise preventable situation.

All-seasons can get you by, but if you are driving quite a bit, just put some winters on or by a set with new rims and do the swap-over every season yourself.
$600 a tire? Really? I wish I can do business with you someday.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2562 posts
942 upvotes
GTA
MusicBox wrote:
Feb 18th, 2019 7:09 pm
$600 a tire? Really? I wish I can do business with you someday.
Big tires ain't cheap.
Gotta pay to play.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3104 posts
2377 upvotes
The NORTH
Viperoni wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 3:16 pm
Big tires ain't cheap.
Gotta pay to play.
Thank God my 295-45-20's are not $600 a tire!!! That extra inch triples the price? Ouch!
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2562 posts
942 upvotes
GTA
kr0zet wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 4:31 pm
Thank God my 295-45-20's are not $600 a tire!!! That extra inch triples the price? Ouch!
It's probably more the size of the production run than anything else.
The shorter sidewall doesn't help though.