Pets

Good longer-term boarding opportunities?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2017 1:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9380 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto

Good longer-term boarding opportunities?

My family's got 2 dogs at my mom's house and when we travel they get boarded at our vets. My mom will be traveling for ~3 weeks and they would need to be boarded throughout then, but I'd love for them to be somewhere better than at the vets, where I am not sure they have a ton of time outside of a noisy crates

It's worth noting that they are both 10+yr old smaller dogs, and one of them has some health issues and isn't all that mobile (i.e. needs some assistance up steps and such). One of them might be able to, but I don't think any place that specializes in outdoor long walks would be a great fit. Would be nice to have a place that is able to provide the additional support my one dog needs.

Is there a better option than boarding at the vets? Do like that they have their entire medical history and whatnot, but given the length I think they could do better!
3 replies
Apr 25, 2011
670 posts
232 upvotes
British Columbia
I guess it depends on how the clinic is set up, however a vet clinic is not a great place for boarding in my opinion. There's likely too much else going on for them to get quality time outdoors and it is super loud (alllllll day long) at times. A stressful place for an elderly dog.

I'd personally look into finding someone you trust that cares for pets in their home -- just leave them your vets contact info and all other necessary instructions for the care of your dogs.

Also contact your vet and see what their protocols are if anything happens to your pets while away -- if you need to leave credit card information or sign anything in advance, etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2376 posts
499 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 5:19 pm
My family's got 2 dogs at my mom's house and when we travel they get boarded at our vets. My mom will be traveling for ~3 weeks and they would need to be boarded throughout then, but I'd love for them to be somewhere better than at the vets, where I am not sure they have a ton of time outside of a noisy crates

It's worth noting that they are both 10+yr old smaller dogs, and one of them has some health issues and isn't all that mobile (i.e. needs some assistance up steps and such). One of them might be able to, but I don't think any place that specializes in outdoor long walks would be a great fit. Would be nice to have a place that is able to provide the additional support my one dog needs.

Is there a better option than boarding at the vets? Do like that they have their entire medical history and whatnot, but given the length I think they could do better!
Where do you live? (Or your parents live?)
I would be happy to recommend some home based boarding options, that your little dogs with love; boarding at the vet is so stressful for animals ...
The barking, small spaces, bright neon lighting, limited roaming/space outside of their crates, being left alone at night ...
PM if you'd like!