Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2006
1161 posts
437 upvotes

Good Night-time Camera?

Hello,

I'm in the market for a new digital camera, preferable one that's slim and compact. I also want one that takes good night-time photos. I have friends who have cameras that take horrible night-time shots unless you hold the camera motionless for 10 seconds (not possible) or use a tripod (a pain to carry around).

Any info would be appreciated.
H
18 replies
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Slim and compact does not equal great night time shots. Slim and compact almost means smaller sensors. Smaller sensors = less quality in low light.

Basic rule of photography, low light requires shutter to be opened longer. For sharp images, stability is key in low light. Use of tripod is a must if you want great nightshots unless the subject is brightly lit in the dark. Example, a cityscape of urban architecture. And even then, the shutter's gotta stay open for 1/2 of a second and higher to take in all that light, especially on a slim and compact P&S.
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
photography...like many things in life...is less efforts = less results

i guess what the OP wants is the BEST POSSIBLE solution.. i think s/he gets the point we're trying to bring across

try the lumix FX series, ihave had good experience with it
it has custom ISO settings from 80-400 and longer exposure times of 1/8s up to 1s
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2004
2726 posts
98 upvotes
find a digicam that supports an ISO of 1600. that's the best you're gonna get.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
430 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Little Dragon wrote: find a digicam that supports an ISO of 1600. that's the best you're gonna get.
Fuji F31fd or any of the newer F series comes to mind. ISO 3200 baby, but the noise..try Noise Ninja, a 3rd party plug-in for PS. You can purchase it online, I did and its awesome. You lose some details though at higher ISO processing.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Fuji F30, FANTASTIC camera for at night no question about it.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
yeah.. cameras with small sensors get the noisiest/blurriest pics at night without flash. it's best to invest in a camera with the highest iso, and a good manual mode if possible!
#KeepFightingMichael
Apr 12, 2003
879 posts
12 upvotes
VorteC wrote: yeah.. cameras with small sensors get the noisiest/blurriest pics at night without flash. it's best to invest in a camera with the highest iso, and a good manual mode if possible!
My Canon 40D has an option ISO 3200, but I can't find how to change that. Do you know?

This camera has live view shoot. I love it
Got Rice?
Nov 16, 2003
845 posts
55 upvotes
Calgary
Little Dragon wrote: find a digicam that supports an ISO of 1600. that's the best you're gonna get.
The Ricoh Caplio R7 is a very small camera (fits in your shirt pocket). It has 7 times zoom and ISO up to 1600.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-- Jean Chretien
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
nden wrote: My Canon 40D has an option ISO 3200, but I can't find how to change that. Do you know?

It's not in the same selection menu as all the other ISOs?
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2003
4258 posts
1028 upvotes
GTA
Even if your camera supports ISO 1600 or 3200, it doesn't mean it's going to be "good". More often than not, it'll turn your pictures into watercolour paintings :D
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
2133 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Fuji F series cameras are probably your best bet for high iso/ low light performance. I've seen some nice pics at iso 800 from the F30/F40's substantially less noise than other brands. The F50fd should be out soon, I'd give that a look and they're relatively compact.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2007
4412 posts
303 upvotes
Toronto
zoob wrote: Even if your camera supports ISO 1600 or 3200, it doesn't mean it's going to be "good". More often than not, it'll turn your pictures into watercolour paintings :D
true, i refrain from using anything higher than ISO800.. especially with a tripod.
#KeepFightingMichael
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
grego9198 wrote: Fuji F series cameras are probably your best bet for high iso/ low light performance. I've seen some nice pics at iso 800 from the F30/F40's substantially less noise than other brands. The F50fd should be out soon, I'd give that a look and they're relatively compact.
Yes, the Fuji F30/31fd cams are generally regarded to have the best-in-class image quality when it comes to high-ISO pictures. The newer F40/50fd are more compact and have more features, but due to megapixel-cramp, their noise level aren't controlled as well as the older models when you crank up the ISO.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1246 posts
9 upvotes
You have to enable the custom function for ISO expansion.
nden wrote: My Canon 40D has an option ISO 3200, but I can't find how to change that. Do you know?

Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2268 upvotes
Toronto
PQpine413 wrote: try the lumix FX series, ihave had good experience with it
it has custom ISO settings from 80-400 and longer exposure times of 1/8s up to 1s
Panasonic's high-ISO noise reduction is flat-out brutal. Watercolour-like and all details are blown away.
Do you even know what ISO1600 on most compacts look like? Messy, yet the marketing department puts it in anyway.
It'll be in your CSM section of your menu. High ISO shooting, something like that. Enable it.
Deal with it.