Personal Finance

Good paying jobs (going to university next year)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2005 1:53 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 15, 2005
24 posts
Guess_11 wrote:I have yet to take any Business courses in high school? Would I still be able to take Business courses in University? I'm thinking going Sciences/Business. I've taken all the Sciences in High school and only Accounting. Is it hard to succeed in business? The only reason, I don't want to go into business is that I think it is a big risk. Also do I need to go to a recognized school? I hope to make it to New York if I go into Business. The reason I have Sciences also is that I am also interested in that. And if all else fails, I'll go to that.
That might be a disadvantage (sp?)
Because accounting 12, I'm pretty sure you'll need accounting 11.
Or, you can take a 9 or 10 course....kind of embarassing though :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Guess_11 wrote:Basically, I'm looking to get my education and to get out of school as soon as possible to start making money. Make a few friends here and there and go along with my business. Any other good Business/Science schools in Canada? I'd also like to try to get a scholarship of some sort to help my costs go down. Or in the USA, I know Wharton is a well known Business School. Basically I'd like to stay in Canada unless I get a nice scholarship to the USA. My average is around 93% but I can get it up to around 95% if I try hard enough. What are some careers in Business? I know that some careers in health sciences are doctor, pharmacist etc.
Sorry for being rude or just too harsh on you but a 93% average is just okay in high school. Kids that get top univ scholarships are in the 95+ range. In order for you to get really good scholarships you got to be at least in the top 5% of your graduating class. They also look at how many are graduating as well too. If you graduate with say a ranking of 2 out of a class of 50 then... it doesn't look as good if somebody with a lower average and graduating with a rank of 2 out of 200. But.... a 93% will get you a good min $1000 scholarship from most univ's I think. It's not renewable though :( My advice like I tell my sister who is also graduating high school is to work your ass off and get a superb average to rake in as much scholarship as possible and get the renewable ones too. Get in the 95+ range so that you're highly competitive for good scholarships. Keep in mind though just because you are offered say the top scholarship the univ have does not mean you'll get it during all 4 years of your univ career. For Dal you got to maintain a A average to keep the scholarship. That is why a lot of kids lose their scholarships after first year since they can't get that A average.

Another thing.... don't think about how much you want to make in the future now. You've barely finished high school and need to concentrate in finding a good univ to go into. Take it one step at a time and slow down.
Banned
Nov 15, 2005
24 posts
setell wrote:Sorry for being rude or just too harsh on you but a 93% average is just okay in high school. Kids that get top univ scholarships are in the 95+ range. In order for you to get really good scholarships you got to be at least in the top 5% of your graduating class. They also look at how many are graduating as well too. If you graduate with say a ranking of 2 out of a class of 50 then... it doesn't look as good if somebody with a lower average and graduating with a rank of 2 out of 200. But.... a 93% will get you a good min $1000 scholarship from most univ's I think. It's not renewable though :( My advice like I tell my sister who is also graduating high school is to work your ass off and get a superb average to rake in as much scholarship as possible and get the renewable ones too. Get in the 95+ range so that you're highly competitive for good scholarships. Keep in mind though just because you are offered say the top scholarship the univ have does not mean you'll get it during all 4 years of your univ career. For Dal you got to maintain a A average to keep the scholarship. That is why a lot of kids lose their scholarships after first year since they can't get that A average.

Another thing.... don't think about how much you want to make in the future now. You've barely finished high school and need to concentrate in finding a good univ to go into. Take it one step at a time and slow down.

When York came to our school, they said they gave $500/yr (for 4 years) for a flat 80.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
justheretopostadeal wrote:When York came to our school, they said they gave $500/yr (for 4 years) for a flat 80.
Wow I just looked at York's scholarship and it's not bad. The only thing I would have to say is that they give out so many little ones that they don't have some of the good bigger ones. Their highest renewable is only $5400/year while here at Dal it's $8000/year. A big difference when you have to pay for tutition and then res.
Aug 12, 2004
386 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
few things...

1) Burger flippers @$15/hr in Calgary is incorrect, I think he means Fort Mac

2) University of Calgary has a BSc in Computer Science, BComm joint degree program (However, UofC tends to rank pretty low compared to others)

3) Tons of scholarships available from UofC. Just outta highschool I think I had about $6000 in scholarships and my average wasn't even high. It might be even more these days with all the cash in the province. I think with the Rutherford scholarship (which you get for having over 80% in grade 10, 11, 12) was worth $500, $1000, $1500 for each year or so, so that's an easy $3k straight outta highschool. I think UofC is also offering a $500 entrance scholarship for just having over 80%. Each year, if you have a GPA over I believe 3.5 or so, then you get the Jason Lang Scholarship which is $1000. If you are a business major at UofC you are eligible for tons more scholarships. Some of the larger ones I got include in my 2nd year I got a $5000 one from CAPP, and 3rd year got a $3000 one from I forget where. So as long as you do pretty decent, you can get a lot of decent sized scholarships. (I'm far from a keener, so if I can get these scholarships, you should be able to do even better.)

4) In terms of picking your major based on $$$, I'd highly recommend against it. I strongly believe that as long as you like what you're doing
a) you'll work hard at it
b) you'll be good at it
And if you work hard and are good at whatever you do, the money comes on its own.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)