Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
11764 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Good Pillows

Hoping someone can help me out. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good pillow? At the moment i am using a long body pillow with a regular pillow on top of it.

Maybe because my pillows are too high or cause i toss and turn a lot but i been getting neck pains that hurt when turning my head.
[QUOTE]One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
[/QUOTE]

PSN: Aznkid2000
3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
22 replies
Oct 12, 2010
53 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
A pillow is very personal, you need to keep trying different ones until you find the perfect one for you. I don't think recommendation works that well. For me, i am the type that doesn't like pillows, I used to sleep without one, Then eventually I bought into the hypes of memory foam and all that stuff, after years of switching to different pillows, now i am back to a super thin one, as thin as my bath towel. I find that there are only 2 comfortable options for me, either no (or thin) pillow, or one of those neck pillows that supports your neck only and do not touch your head.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1266 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
I agree. You'll just have to try different ones and see which one you like. I found the memory foam pillows at Costco are really good for me. They're around $36 reg price.

Also, I do find that sometimes I have issues with my neck and ribs. My chiropractor fixes everything in 1 or 2 sessions. If you have insurance then give that a try. You just might need an alignment.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6240 posts
1390 upvotes
I like my bouncy latex pillow.

I looked for the lowest profile I could find...then I ripped out a shallow crater when I received it to make it a bit lower. (I am 80% back sleeper.)
Mar 27, 2011
540 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have the purple pillow? Very pricy, not sure if it's actually good or they have great marketing.
Oct 12, 2010
53 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
gekaizer wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 2:33 pm
Does anyone have the purple pillow? Very pricy, not sure if it's actually good or they have great marketing.
I was just going to let OP know about this purple pillow. I saw the ad on youtube the other day, and the ad itself is very informative. Not sure if it's really going to make a difference or it's just snake oil.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5857 posts
341 upvotes
BC
I love the memory foam pillows at costco.. took me a while to get used to it but now its a dream to sleep on!!! Best pillow I've ever had.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8741 posts
825 upvotes
I like super firm and form fitting pillows. So my sobakawa pillow is what gets me to sleep. I bring it traveling too sadly.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11163 posts
1330 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 4:02 pm
Hoping someone can help me out. Do you guys have any recommendations for a good pillow? At the moment i am using a long body pillow with a regular pillow on top of it.

Maybe because my pillows are too high or cause i toss and turn a lot but i been getting neck pains that hurt when turning my head.
Get a chiropractic pillow. I used to have the same problem until my chiro noticed I have broad/wide shoulders versus my neck length. What happens is if you dont use a proper pillow and as the pillow wears out your neck/head will bend in curved fashion instead of being horizontal in position. Thus, resulting in pain at based of neck and vertebrae beneath the skull. Now you mention the pain when turning your head. It's possible you have locked vertebrae which can occur from the turning of the head improperly and staying in that position for long periods of time. ie. sleeping. Again, best to see a chiro first to see what exactly is causing the pain and then choosing the right pillow. Not everyone is the same.

Example pillows from chiro wholesaler.
http://www.kosim.ca/products/pillows.html
Last edited by aznnorth on Oct 21st, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10604 posts
1276 upvotes
ds2chan wrote:
Oct 5th, 2018 12:16 pm
I agree. You'll just have to try different ones and see which one you like. I found the memory foam pillows at Costco are really good for me. They're around $36 reg price.

Also, I do find that sometimes I have issues with my neck and ribs. My chiropractor fixes everything in 1 or 2 sessions. If you have insurance then give that a try. You just might need an alignment.
What's strange is I bought the Novaform pillows a few years ago from Costco. I liked them, but washing them was a pain. They wouldn't dry no matter how long put them in the dryer. I guess I kept it too long in the dryer as the cool side gel started to leak. I bought them again recently, but I noticed they are far thinner than before. The previous ones were a little too puffy, but once worked in, it was perfect, these new ones are so flat that they are giving me neck pains.

I rarely ever return anything to Costco, but I probably will with these.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1266 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:02 pm
What's strange is I bought the Novaform pillows a few years ago from Costco. I liked them, but washing them was a pain. They wouldn't dry no matter how long put them in the dryer. I guess I kept it too long in the dryer as the cool side gel started to leak. I bought them again recently, but I noticed they are far thinner than before. The previous ones were a little too puffy, but once worked in, it was perfect, these new ones are so flat that they are giving me neck pains.

I rarely ever return anything to Costco, but I probably will with these.
Check the washing instructions but I thought these pillows are not supposed to go in the washing machine. Why would you wash a pillow? You can wash the pillow case that you put on it and the cover that is already on the pillow.

I did a quick Google search and it said do not put memory foam in the washing machine or in the dryer. I guess you "broke" your original pillows.

Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10604 posts
1276 upvotes
ds2chan wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:29 pm
Check the washing instructions but I thought these pillows are not supposed to go in the washing machine. Why would you wash a pillow? You can wash the pillow case that you put on it and the cover that is already on the pillow.

I did a quick Google search and it said do not put memory foam in the washing machine or in the dryer. I guess you "broke" your original pillows.
My cat peed on them.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1266 posts
254 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 1:44 pm
My cat peed on them.
damn.. that's horrible.

When I did a Google search it said to hand wash them (not in those words but I got the feeling that was what they were trying to get at). I did not read the drying instructions except for the part that said do not put them in the dryer.

After thinking about it, the new Novaform pillows do seem a little flatter when compared to the older ones. I was OK with it though.

If you have health insurance then you should definitely go see a chiropractor. Just to see if it'll help.

Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11977 posts
1744 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Supposedly, a lot of neck and upper back pain is from being hunched over a lot, looking at ur phone or computer.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
Might not be what you want to spend but we checked out the Casper pillows today and are considering trying them out. We like a dense pillow with firm support. The 100 day sleep trial period makes me less worried to spend that much on king sized pillows.