Art and Photography

Good place to buy cheap 2nd lens but not kijiji?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2018 11:00 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
146 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal

26 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2701 posts
325 upvotes
Vaughan
All of my camera gear is bought used. I buy mainly off photography forums. However, most sellers are from the US. So you pay US exchange rate, plus shipping, and customs. So sometimes i look to kijiji instead.

I own 5 lenses, 4 were bought from a photography forum, and 1 was bought off kijiji. The only lens i had a problem with was one that i bought off a photography forum. I've never had any issues with camera gear I've bought off kijiji. Although to be fair. I buy about 70% off photography forums, and 30% off kijiji. Over the years, never one problem with any camera gear off kijiji. Over the years i've had issues with 3 lenses bought off photography forums. 2 of the lenses cost me money, while one was repaired under warranty. Also bought my current sony A7rii camera off kijiji, no issues at all.

I know there are scammers on kijiji, so you do have to be careful, but i check my lenses and camera's throughly when i buy off kijiji. I've had better luck with kijiji, and you have to wait for your gear to get shipped to you, and get surprised with custom fees.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3401 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
There's also grey market stores if you want something new but are ok with not having warranty (which is sometimes the case anyway if you're buying used)
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
May 5, 2010
956 posts
270 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
May 12th, 2018 2:07 pm
All of my camera gear is bought used. I buy mainly off photography forums. However, most sellers are from the US. So you pay US exchange rate, plus shipping, and customs. So sometimes i look to kijiji instead.

I own 5 lenses, 4 were bought from a photography forum, and 1 was bought off kijiji. The only lens i had a problem with was one that i bought off a photography forum. I've never had any issues with camera gear I've bought off kijiji. Although to be fair. I buy about 70% off photography forums, and 30% off kijiji. Over the years, never one problem with any camera gear off kijiji. Over the years i've had issues with 3 lenses bought off photography forums. 2 of the lenses cost me money, while one was repaired under warranty. Also bought my current sony A7rii camera off kijiji, no issues at all.

I know there are scammers on kijiji, so you do have to be careful, but i check my lenses and camera's throughly when i buy off kijiji. I've had better luck with kijiji, and you have to wait for your gear to get shipped to you, and get surprised with custom fees.
Did you get custom fees for cameras and lenses? I thought there's no duty for importing photography gears into Canada. I might be wrong too since I have only bought 1 lens from ebay that wasn't in Canada and I didn't get any custom fees.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3430 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto
KEH.com is very reliable (this is a used camera equipment dealer). Fred Miranda forums used to be great for buy and sell, not sure if that is the case anymore.

Typically you will not need to pay customs for a second-hand lens when it enters Canada, but you may need to pay sales taxes, even for a person-to-person purchase.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2701 posts
325 upvotes
Vaughan
Gin Martini wrote:
May 12th, 2018 9:10 pm
Did you get custom fees for cameras and lenses? I thought there's no duty for importing photography gears into Canada. I might be wrong too since I have only bought 1 lens from ebay that wasn't in Canada and I didn't get any custom fees.
Sorry I was thinking of brokerage fees, sorry my mistake. I always ask sellers to ship USPS, but some still don't listen, and ship UPS. My bad.
For Sale
Aug 3, 2011
783 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
I have had over 95% if my gear bought at Kijiji. Trust me on this that 95% , I am talking about a ton in gear in the last 5 years that I have bought and sold........never had any issues with the gear or the deal.

Just use caution, meet at busy place, research well and never rush.
Although I have bought online too on Kijiji, e-transferred $’s and waiting for stuff to come in mail.......I will not recommend it too much.
This was a risk that I have taken quite a few times and luck has favored me always.....still would not advice it.
Sep 28, 2009
420 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
I have bought and sold 20 plus lenses over the years. Some of the lenses were in the $1000 plus range. I have done this on photo forums, eBay and Kijiji. A couple of eBay problems but they all got sorted. I prefer Kijiji as I get to inspect the lens before buying.

I have also bought a couple of times from pawn shops. They are often over priced but negotiable. Same inspection opportunities.

I would like to hear OP's objection to Kijiji.
Jun 2, 2017
136 posts
19 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Facebook Marketplace is another way to buy used gear too, just know the checks you need to do prior purchasing.

I had a recent experience with a woman selling her Canon 60D with 18-200 lens for $550. All three pictures looked okay in the post but when I saw it in person, there's an apparent neglect with the camera itself i.e. dust everywhere, dings and scratches and even the pop-up flash doesn't open up!

Needless to say, we didn't have a deal.

Buy only gear that are almost new or at least few years old and has been well-taken care of. And beware of buying lenses if the previous owner didn't store them properly as molds and moisture can get to the glass and affect overall performance.

Be wary of sellers saying they've used their lenses near beaches and saltwater too as it very bad for the sensor of DSLRs.
Photography hobbyist turned Audio/Video nut turned IT guy turned Dad turned CryptoMiner
Jul 12, 2010
411 posts
61 upvotes
I buy Most of my camera lens off Kijiji just due to $ savings. Probably brought like 8 lense sold like 3 things all positive experiences. The only thing I regret is not doing enough research on the lense to make sure its the lense I really want/need got a few that I just don't use at all and should really get off my ass and sell them hehe . But that was when I was a canon shooter... The market is saturated with alot of 2nd hand gear at amazing prices if you wait and LOW BALL all day hehe. Now I recently swapped to Sony with the A7iii I feel like its not even worth my time. not only are there barely any stock in GTA, the people want like 90% of the MSRP for sony stuff so I feel like I rather just buy BNIB type of deal.

But back on topic Just be careful meet at crowded places with cameras. some reason I always have a fear that the cash I get from these sales are like fake... I always take an extra second while counting it hehe. Check condition and make sure you know the condition ur getting it in.. If you aren;t confident in your ability to test and look at camera gear then maybe don't go to the used market on kijiji maybe pay the crazy prices for used gear at henrys hehe.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9554 posts
3871 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I’ve bought and sold in Kijiji a lot and never had an issue. Most expensive equipment I bought was a 5D MKIV BNIB. It was well under retail by a few hundred. Met at a mall and tested out the body. He asked me not to snap any pictures unless I’m buying 100%. Everything checked out.

I sold my old 6D with a 24-70L on kijiji for $2100 last year and no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8612 posts
1371 upvotes
Markham
I met up a guy at Tim hortons to purhcase a $1000 lens used.
I used it for few years and still in my camera bag as of now.

Buying used has no difference than buying from kijiji or FB marketplace or shop that sell used stuff.
You just have to check it out carefully, make sure the meet up place is safe.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2701 posts
325 upvotes
Vaughan
andy28 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 6:26 am
some reason I always have a fear that the cash I get from these sales are like fake... I always take an extra second while counting it hehe.
Safest way to do it, is have a bank transfer. I would say most people bank with TD. It goes directly from the buyers bank account into your bank account. If anything happens, it's on the bank. The money goes directly into your account without any physical money being touched. This way, no fear of conterfeit cash.

I'm sure you could do the same at other banks, but I'd say TD is the most common bank.
For Sale
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
9554 posts
3871 upvotes
Richmond Hill
phuviano wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 9:52 pm
Safest way to do it, is have a bank transfer. I would say most people bank with TD. It goes directly from the buyers bank account into your bank account. If anything happens, it's on the bank. The money goes directly into your account without any physical money being touched. This way, no fear of conterfeit cash.

I'm sure you could do the same at other banks, but I'd say TD is the most common bank.
You could just do E-transfer, which is usually within minutes and not worry about whos with which bank.