Art and Photography

Good place to buy cheap 2nd lens but not kijiji?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2018 10:42 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
Is fake lens even a thing ??

Heard of fake flash / SD and at most the rare body but lens ??
aquariaguy wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 10:47 pm
When looking for used lenses on kijiji what should I look out for ? Fake lenses how would I determine that ? Do the sellers usually let you test the lens out on ur camera ?
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
magical wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 6:12 pm
Was looking for a used Nikon d810 for a long time, found a seller in Calgary with one...
Good personal experience story. Funny you mentioned meeting at the police station cause some stations have deciated stalls and they call it "Buy and Sell" zones invites the public to use those for online purchase exchanges.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2005
1824 posts
69 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 9:29 pm
Is fake lens even a thing ??

Heard of fake flash / SD and at most the rare body but lens ??
Fake stuff that I am aware of: Lowepro Camera Bags, High end filters (B+W especially).... the only fake lens I know of if you want to consider it would be the coffee mugs of some canon lenses that I have seen (sure they make nikon ones as well) but this should be easy to spot as, heh, I'm sure they don't feel right nor work on your camera. So no, never heard of knock off camera lenses yet.
D810, 16-35 F4
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3838 posts
634 upvotes
Don't be afraid to buy from Kijiji...like others have said meet in public places, know what to check for and take your time. If the seller is pushy and impatient just give the lens back and tell him no thanks. You should be able to take the time to check out the lens such as:
-Check any screws to see if they are worn.
-Look for signs of mold.
-Hold it up to the light to look for dust and scratches. Bring a cloth so you can wipe any glass down (front and back).
-Take picks with your camera.
-Make sure autofocus is working
-Put lens in manual and see if it moves smoothly.

The biggest lens I've purchased online is the 70-200 f2.8 ...took my time with that one. I personally like to buy lenses with a box...probably doesn't mean much lol. I don't know if I'd buy a body on kijiji although I had no problems selling my 7D on kijiji before picking up my 6D a few years ago.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3003 posts
309 upvotes
Aggy wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:15 am
-Hold it up to the light to look for dust and scratches. Bring a cloth so you can wipe any glass down (front and back).
Pretty sure most people will tell you not to just wipe down the back of the glass element. I'm probably not going to let a buyer do that.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3838 posts
634 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 7:45 am
Pretty sure most people will tell you not to just wipe down the back of the glass element. I'm probably not going to let a buyer do that.
LOL you're right...pre-coffee post...I meant to say check the glass (front and back). Blow off any dust if you see it on the back of the lens, but I still wipe down the front after asking the seller if there's smudges and what not.
Jun 14, 2011
115 posts
46 upvotes
Richmond Hill
dealt with kijiji in the past no problem.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1011 posts
62 upvotes
Lol the first time I bought a relatively expensive lens off Kijiji I brought along my body and laptop to check the lens cause i was paranoid
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
3838 posts
634 upvotes
malaujai wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 8:55 am
Lol the first time I bought a relatively expensive lens off Kijiji I brought along my body and laptop to check the lens cause i was paranoid
Lol I thought you said bodyguard at first but that's not a bad idea for some lenses.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1011 posts
62 upvotes
Aggy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:03 am
Lol I thought you said bodyguard at first but that's not a bad idea for some lenses.
If anything, the people who show up after agreeing a price and lowball on the spot are the ones who need bodyguards LOL