[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5209 posts
3294 upvotes
North York

Is this a good Propane BBQ?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3-bu ... 61919.html

See this at HomeDepot. Online reviews look decent, and it's definitely in the price range.
I am not a hardcore bbq-er. Maybe a few times a months or so. Family of 3 (+1 soon), and occasionally have the kid's grandparents and/or friends over.

Anyone can chip in their opinions/experience?

Would appreciate it!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7155 posts
3543 upvotes
Markham
This is a piece of crap. Even if you don't BBQ often, it is a piece of arse.

If you have to go for the cheapest thing, you can get the Weber Spirit E-210, which is a decent unit. If you really want a BBQ that will last you for 10-15 years without problems, get a Weber E-310 or better. Even used these are great.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9840 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:47 am

If you have to go for the cheapest thing, you can get the Weber Spirit E-210, which is a decent unit. If you really want a BBQ that will last you for 10-15 years without problems, get a Weber E-310 or better. Even used these are great.
+1. Just read the varying reviews. You're already 60% there. Why not just spend a bit more get something that'll make you actually enjoy bbqing and learning about it. If you have a cheaper (i.e. Uneven, not as hot, more rust prone) one, it makes it less fun and motivating to learn and try out different recipes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5209 posts
3294 upvotes
North York
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:47 am

at1212b wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 11:58 am
+1. Just read the varying reviews. You're already 60% there. Why not just spend a bit more get something that'll make you actually enjoy bbqing and learning about it. If you have a cheaper (i.e. Uneven, not as hot, more rust prone) one, it makes it less fun and motivating to learn and try out different recipes.
Why is it a piece of crap? I see it is 4 stars by 13 reviews on HD canada, and 4.5 stars by over 126 reviews on HP US.

The first thing I looked at was where it was made. And apparently these broil-mate are canada/us.
The webers, on the other hand, are made in china.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7002 posts
5227 upvotes
Oakville
Obviously it won't be as good as a higher priced Webber, but this BBQ will get hot and cook your food and will work fine if you're not picky about BBQ'ing. It may only last 5 years before the burners and grills rust out though.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10012 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
It is an okay bbq which get hot enough for steaks. The grill is cast iron so it will rust if you don't keep it oiled.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Sep 25, 2003
122 posts
16 upvotes
Oshawa
I have a friend who owns the BBQ in your post. It's a perfectly good bbq, especially if you aren't a huge BBQ'r.

I own a Broil King, and this BBQ isn't in the same class.

But trust me, you don't need a $550+ BBQ for occasional use. Despite what the masses on RFD might tell you.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12630 posts
2234 upvotes
London
Isn't that BBQ just a broil-mate version of the broil-king signet? (made by omc)

Performance should be almost identical, materials might be slightly different.

It's a home Depot specfic model made by omc which is the same company that makes broil-king

broil-mate = home Depot
Sterling= Rona
Mar 19, 2013
663 posts
190 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
I think your choice will serve your needs. Great price. I'm a high end Weber guy. Good luck
Have a great summer.
Apr 19, 2012
208 posts
20 upvotes
GTA
I've bought this one twice: https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.2-bu ... 36464.html

and been happy both times. Had to replace it once because I left it at a rental and they destroyed it. It was going on 4+ years before they destroyed it. Current one is going on 2+ years and I'm still happy. I'd only upgrade if I had a need to bbq for 4+ people frequently. But for a family of 4 or less it's fine.