• Apr 29th, 2017 3:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3400 posts
429 upvotes
Ontario

Good quality curling iron? Help!

Ladies can you please help me find a good quality curling iron for my GF for Xmas? She wants something for long hair that gives "big curls" whatever that means, and something that gets really hot. Prefer buying off Amazon if there's something good!

6 replies
Aug 22, 2014
879 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hot Tools is a decent brand. Be sure to get a spring handle instead of a marcel handle unless she's really good at styling her own hair. Professionals use a marcel handle since it's more versatile but it's trickier to work with since it's manual.

For big curls, a 1.5" inch barrel might be sufficient. Maybe even a 2" inch barrel but I think that would be more of a wave than a curl.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3400 posts
429 upvotes
Ontario
sn00ch wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 12:09 pm
Hot Tools is a decent brand. Be sure to get a spring handle instead of a marcel handle unless she's really good at styling her own hair. Professionals use a marcel handle since it's more versatile but it's trickier to work with since it's manual.

For big curls, a 1.5" inch barrel might be sufficient. Maybe even a 2" inch barrel but I think that would be more of a wave than a curl.
Thanks that's helpful, I was going to get her the gold plated hot tools, either 1.25 or 1.5". I've watched a few videos and I hear the 1.5" will not hold a long time? So 1.25 is more versatile? Her hair is down to her upper/mid back.
Aug 22, 2014
879 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Slawek wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 12:15 pm
sn00ch wrote:
Nov 8th, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks that's helpful, I was going to get her the gold plated hot tools, either 1.25 or 1.5". I've watched a few videos and I hear the 1.5" will not hold a long time? So 1.25 is more versatile? Her hair is down to her upper/mid back.
How thick is her hair? If it's thick, it'll probably hold the curl pretty well. If it's finer, then maybe get a smaller barrel since the curls will likely loosen throughout the day.
Feb 11, 2017
6 posts
Sultra Bombshell. Just feels less damaging to the hair and the curls actually last.
Jun 2, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
muk curl stick This wand comes with 3 barrels which gives such a variety of curls. My favorite is spiral perm Changing the barrels can be a bit fiddly but that's probably the only not positive thing I can say about this wand.
It heats up incredibly quickly with a great range of heat settings for all your different hair types.
I have long thick hair and the wand easily accommodates all of my hair (per section) in one go. 10 seconds per curl and you're done.
I love the ease of use, the long lasting curl and the flexibility of style the wand gives you.