Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1119 posts
42 upvotes
Vancouver

Good Soundbar deals?

Hey everyone. I have a 60 inch LG Plasma and the tv speakers are not very good. Just wondering on which soundbars are good deals on boxing day? i see there are sails from $98 to $600. Any suggestions on which is a good bang for the buck? or are these deals just crappy?

Thanks
79 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2004
2935 posts
18 upvotes
Looking for a deal here too - what sites are you going to for reviews? amazon, cnet?
this site is like a drug. Its forum is the drug dealer.
Feb 27, 2007
115 posts
7 upvotes
From a general Googling it looks like the Yamaha YAS101 for 249.99 at FS/BB seems alright if your on a budget.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15779 posts
2456 upvotes
Toronto
I bought this last year for $200 + HST in GTA.

$250 Boxing day price is extremely cold, given that they regularly have this for $250 from time to time on both FS & BB & AV2001.

The Source has the Samsung HW-E450 for $200 boxing week. That's not bad of a pay at all.

von Monster wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 2:38 pm
From a general Googling it looks like the Yamaha YAS101 for 249.99 at FS/BB seems alright if your on a budget.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3279 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
von Monster wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 2:38 pm
Ya after reading reviews of all the on sale soundbars seems like this is a good model.
My dilemma now is whether to get this now or wait...
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3279 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 4:53 pm
I bought this last year for $200 + HST in GTA.

$250 Boxing day price is extremely cold, given that they regularly have this for $250 from time to time on both FS & BB & AV2001.

The Source has the Samsung HW-E450 for $200 boxing week. That's not bad of a pay at all.
How does HW-E450 compare to the YAS-101 ?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15779 posts
2456 upvotes
Toronto
I will try to buy a Samsung HW-E450 this year from the Source for my other tv.

I am not knowledgable in this kind of thing. However, I have now owned the Yamaha for exactly 1 year and I have to say it's money well spent on a $200 soundbar. Obvviously, the next model up on the Yamaha is like $800+ which I am not ready to spend that kind of $. I just want a (starter) good soundbar which is 1 notch better than the tv's crappy speakers.

btw, I bought mine Yamaha from Update TV (Elgin Mills/Leslie where HD, Costco, TD bank, etc are located). If you are interested, speak to Trevor or his wife, Stacey for a good deal. Their prices are generally very competitive and you can always negoitate a bit more than the posted price.

SuckaB wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 5:35 pm
How does HW-E450 compare to the YAS-101 ?
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3279 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 8:15 pm
I will try to buy a Samsung HW-E450 this year from the Source for my other tv.

I am not knowledgable in this kind of thing. However, I have now owned the Yamaha for exactly 1 year and I have to say it's money well spent on a $200 soundbar. Obvviously, the next model up on the Yamaha is like $800+ which I am not ready to spend that kind of $. I just want a (starter) good soundbar which is 1 notch better than the tv's crappy speakers.

btw, I bought mine Yamaha from Update TV (Elgin Mills/Leslie where HD, Costco, TD bank, etc are located). If you are interested, speak to Trevor or his wife, Stacey for a good deal. Their prices are generally very competitive and you can always negoitate a bit more than the posted price.
thank you very much for the input. I've been reading reviews on the Samsung and it's not bad. Pretty much on par with the Yamaha.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15779 posts
2456 upvotes
Toronto
I also wonder what would the Samsung HW-E550 go for ? If it's about $100 more than the HW-E450, I may go for this instead. I was snooping around at various tv stores (all Chinese shops) and I see they have them in stock but the price was not listed as I was waiting to ask but the staff was too busy with other paying customers, so I guess I will have to make my trips to those stores once again.

Update TV (Trevor) said the Yamaha sound is bit more clear and bass is marginally better than both Sony & Samsung. But for $200, I guess I cannot ask for the 'moon' in performance.

btw, I did hear the upper model of Yamaha, I have to say .... if you have the $, definintely go for this. One word ... 'WOW'

SuckaB wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 8:17 pm
thank you very much for the input. I've been reading reviews on the Samsung and it's not bad. Pretty much on par with the Yamaha.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3279 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 8:30 pm
I also wonder what would the Samsung HW-E550 go for ? If it's about $100 more than the HW-E450, I may go for this instead. I was snooping around at various tv stores (all Chinese shops) and I see they have them in stock but the price was not listed as I was waiting to ask but the staff was too busy with other paying customers, so I guess I will have to make my trips to those stores once again.

Update TV (Trevor) said the Yamaha sound is bit more clear and bass is marginally better the both Sony & Samsung. But for $200, I guess I cannot ask for the 'moon' in performance.

btw, I did hear the upper model of Yamaha, I have to say .... if you have the $, definintely go for this. One word ... 'WOW'
according to some reviews on amazon, Samsung HW-E550 is not completely wireless as the inputs are on the sub, so you're technically limited to length of your cables.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
15779 posts
2456 upvotes
Toronto
Ok. Thanks for the tips. I guess I will have to do some homework to see what this HW-E550 offers. Right now, my mind is committed in just getting the HW-E450. I think it would be a decent buy for $200
Jan 29, 2008
35 posts
8 upvotes
Was in Detroit the last couple of days, BB has the Samsung HW-E550 for $299 which sounded amazing (very good bass and clear vocals)...but the sub is not wireless (as they say) the satellite speakers are (the centre speaker can be split in 2 for left/right or combined for centre channel). Costco in US had the Yamaha YAS101 ( around $179?) sounded ok but not much bass, they also had the samsung 450 ($229) which was not bad. Another system at Costco had was a Sony BDV-T79 for $379 which sounded good for a mini surround system. These are just my thoughts and what one person thinks sounds great another may not.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3279 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
bastone wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 9:24 pm
Was in Detroit the last couple of days, BB has the Samsung HW-E550 for $299 which sounded amazing (very good bass and clear vocals)...but the sub is not wireless (as they say) the satellite speakers are (the centre speaker can be split in 2 for left/right or combined for centre channel). Costco in US had the Yamaha YAS101 ( around $179?) sounded ok but not much bass, they also had the samsung 450 ($229) which was not bad. Another system at Costco had was a Sony BDVN-790W for $379 which sounded good for a mini surround system. These are just my thoughts and what one person thinks sounds great another may not.
if you had to choose 450 vs 101, which one would it be?
Jan 29, 2008
35 posts
8 upvotes
Samsung 450 is much better all around ( especially at $200 cdn - nice find). The amount of bass the 450 puts out cannot be matched by the Yamaha, even in the size of Costco you could hear the difference. These are just my thoughts and what one person thinks sounds great another may not.
× < >