• Nov 29th, 2012 11:56 am
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
zakregent wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 12:34 am
T430U with these configurations only 716.80, MIDNIGHTDEAL ONLY!

Coupon: T430UDEAL

3351CTO - 1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
Intel Core i5-3427U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.80 GHz)
Windows 8 64
14.0W HD (1366 x 768) LED, Anti-Glare, Black (With No WWAN)
Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel Core Processor i5-3427U
8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (1 DIMM)
Fingerprint Reader
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
3 cell Li-polymer Battery 47 Whr
ThinkPad a/b/g/n Wireless & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 ABGN & BT 4.0)
No Mobile Broadband support
1 Year Depot/Express Warranty
the screen resolution is only 1366x768?!
wallet is safe
Dec 26, 2006
353 posts
122 upvotes
T430s is about 25% off. Is that the regular discount or is this a good deal?
Feb 12, 2007
283 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
No X-series discounts, no thanks. I bought my X220 a month after it was announced for $660 on a Father's Day deal and frankly have been completely underwhelmed by the sales on the X230 and T series. 25% off is not a sale. 40-50% off = getting there.
:!: ^^ If you like this post click thanks! ^^ :!:
May 4, 2007
780 posts
71 upvotes
Montreal
sircool wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 10:00 pm
possible a X1C deal? seems new trend is convertible /twist multi-touch screen with win8
I'm with you. Unless you really need one now, it's better to wait and go with a touchscreen one.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1723 posts
152 upvotes
Moosonee
^^ Is it removable battery?

That is unbelievable, wow........

Even theHD 000 is more than enough with that chip,

That is one of the best deals I've seen in past days. Screen, battery are bit of dealbreaker.
'WILL I GET 60 FPS' (?) GTAV Rig >>> z77 Asrock, i7 2600K @ 4.1GHZ, 16GB Dominator @ 1800mhz, 1000W PSU, 2x GTX 680 overclocked, 4 SSD: 1x120GB, 1x 240G, 2x500GB RAID0, Antec 300 Two
Deal Addict
May 24, 2006
1625 posts
93 upvotes
zakregent wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 12:11 am
T430s is at 721 with the lowest configurations, good deal... I find that the the t430/t430s/t530 is pretty ugly IMO
If you are buying a laptop based on looks, Thinkpad is last on that list. If you want a rock solid laptop? Thinkpad is top of the list.

I should probably replace my T43p...it's 7 years old and still won't die. =\ Using PC mostly now a days but will jump on it if good deal. T430s hopefully.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2008
1527 posts
224 upvotes
St. John's
Hmm got the t520 i7 2860qm last january price error for like 850 taxes and shipping for a 900p screen, 4gigs ram and other regulars (i forgot the extra 80$ off coupon back then) for price comparison.
May 28, 2009
662 posts
190 upvotes
Im a converted Thinkpad user, just got my second one- a X230. But one thing to watch out for with the T series are the poorly sourced screens they use now. Its where they have decided to save money and the results are terrible. I wanted a T430 but only the X230 offered IPS.
Feb 27, 2008
746 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
br0pbr0p wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 1:38 am
If you are buying a laptop based on looks, Thinkpad is last on that list. If you want a rock solid laptop? Thinkpad is top of the list.
Lenovo's marketing department thanks you. That's exactly the IBM legacy of this line they want to claim. Show me a third-party testing stat that doesn't show similar failure rates for Lenovo as for other lappy's after 3 years, or lower. I'd love to believe it's true they are more durable, but I've only heard anecdotal evidence, which nearly useless.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18500 posts
929 upvotes
Meh, I am waiting on another deal on the Carbon to push it below $1000 like the last one. Carbon is where it's at.
MooseOnLoose wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 6:19 am
Lenovo's marketing department thanks you. That's exactly the IBM legacy of this line they want to claim. Show me a third-party testing stat that doesn't show similar failure rates for Lenovo as for other lappy's after 3 years, or lower. I'd love to believe it's true they are more durable, but I've only heard anecdotal evidence, which nearly useless.
I am coming from a Dell Latitude at work and an HP at home, and this year moved to a workhorse Thinkpad at work - and I can say it is NO comparison. The Thinkpad is built like a tank, you can FEEL the quality in the build and the keyboard. This quality combined with the portability of the Carbon is what I want at home.

Quoting "failure rates" IMO is a misnomer because nearly all failures are going to be in the HD, which is not even made by any of these companies. When I talk about quality and durability, I am referring to the keyboard, the touchpad, the hinge, the LCD, etc. The touchpad on my HP broke in less than a year and i have had to get the whole keyboard assembly replaced... the Dell had multiple problems with the video card, they keyboard was a piece of crap with keys disloging, etc... I don't have any problems with the Thinkpad nor do I envision them based on what I am seeing in it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Dec 24, 2006
954 posts
54 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 7:09 am
I am coming from a Dell Latitude at work and an HP at home, and this year moved to a workhorse Thinkpad at work - and I can say it is NO comparison. The Thinkpad is built like a tank, you can FEEL the quality in the build and the keyboard. This quality combined with the portability of the Carbon is what I want at home.
Agreed, I use an HP EliteBook at work and a Lenovo at home as a personal device. Lenovo hands down...

EDIT:

Check out below for comparison. Make sure to note that the ThinkPad line is considered reliable (Txxx or Wxxx or X230 etc) when comparing it's reliablity. Where as Lenovo's consumer IdeaPad line, isn't as reliable it seems.

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/be ... -2012.aspx
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1788 posts
232 upvotes
Calgary
menaknow wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 10:06 am
Agreed, I use an HP EliteBook at work and a Lenovo at home as a personal device. Lenovo hands down...

EDIT:

Check out below for comparison. Make sure to note that the ThinkPad line is considered reliable (Txxx or Wxxx or X230 etc) when comparing it's reliablity. Where as Lenovo's consumer IdeaPad line, isn't as reliable it seems.

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/be ... -2012.aspx
I'm surprised that Asus ranked so low.
Oct 2, 2003
27 posts
Grey-Bruce
So sad 8-(

Bought a T530 less than a month ago. I decided to forgo the video card because it was an extra $250, but I paid pretty much what was in the FP without it!

Great machine, if you're not sure of the build quality, etc, it's still very good. After sales support though...don't ask.
--
Guiness
Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...
Feb 15, 2006
28 posts
2 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2012 7:09 am
Quoting "failure rates" IMO is a misnomer because nearly all failures are going to be in the HD, which is not even made by any of these companies. When I talk about quality and durability, I am referring to the keyboard, the touchpad, the hinge, the LCD, etc. The touchpad on my HP broke in less than a year and i have had to get the whole keyboard assembly replaced... the Dell had multiple problems with the video card, they keyboard was a piece of crap with keys disloging, etc... I don't have any problems with the Thinkpad nor do I envision them based on what I am seeing in it.
I switched to Thinkpad T520 after my macbook pro. One of the worst experiences I have had with an electronic device. I bought my MBPro for an overly inflated price due to the metal casing and reputation. It had a fundamental flaw in which the keyboard and touchpad would lose connection intermittently. The OS was fine, I just couldn't control it at all. I lost work having to shut it down and restart many times.

After some research, I found that many other users had the same problem and had been brushed off by apple repairs. The problem was that the ribbon cable that connected the keyboard and mouse ran on top of the battery and as the battery swelled with age (like after 3 months) it would pinch or overheat the cable and cause loss of connectivity. It was mostly a physical problem that would be caused by typing or heat or both. As a result, everytime I took it into apple for repair, they would run a diagnostic and find no problem. They claimed it was third party software, etc and basically told me there was nothing they could do as it was my fault. I even sent them the threads on apple support forums and got ignored. The offered to replace the keyboard and mouse console for $650 or something.

My only option was sitting in the store for a day and hoping it failed in front of them to prove I had an issue. After warranty period, the interruptions became more and more frequent and it ended up becoming a desktop, permanently connected to USB mouse and keyboard. Sure, could have fixed the issue by paying for the repair, but to have a $1600 "high end" laptop that I couldn't use without USB controls after 2 years was enough to make me swear off apple.
× < >