Food & Drink

Good universal red, white and beer for guests

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 5:30 pm
Jul 5, 2004
22743 posts
2509 upvotes
Bud light is a subpar beer to beer snobs, but it's a very safe choice. It's light and refreshing, so even those who don't like it can drink it.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
332 posts
25 upvotes
Oakville
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:42 pm
Bud light is a subpar beer to beer snobs, but it's a very safe choice. It's light and refreshing, so even those who don't like it can drink it.
What do you consider some safe beers for beer snobs instead?
Jan 23, 2017
689 posts
486 upvotes
Calgary
toshibaaa wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:13 pm
Innis and Gunn would be a good call, or Sam Adams Boston Lager. You won't offend a beer snob, and it's not some over the top craft brew that'll chase a casual drinker away. Stray away from IPA's, I personally love them but there are just as many people who detest them.

There's lots of good craft stuff, but depending on your audience is how that'll be perceived.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5798 posts
302 upvotes
BC
toshibaaa wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:13 pm
Heineken, Stella, and I'm still with Sleemans as a good choice.

I'm not sure 'beer snob' is the right term for someone who enjoys a good beer, its a matter of quality over quantity. I like to enjoy what I am drinking, I'm past the stage of drinking anything just to drink, but that does not make me a beer snob.
That's my 2cents worth
Jul 5, 2004
22743 posts
2509 upvotes
Keelie wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:11 pm
Heineken, Stella, and I'm still with Sleemans as a good choice.

I'm not sure 'beer snob' is the right term for someone who enjoys a good beer, its a matter of quality over quantity. I like to enjoy what I am drinking, I'm past the stage of drinking anything just to drink, but that does not make me a beer snob.
Maybe I should have put quotation marks around the words beer snob. It wasn't meant to be taken literal nor meant as a degrading term at all. It was just a figure of speech to refer to someone who prefers "good" beer instead of the cheaper brands. I still stand by my post, bud light, coors light, Canadian, etc. are safe beers. Anyone who likes beer can drink them without cringing, but many people can't drink an IPA, for example, without gagging. Bud light is a very mild flavour, which is why I think it's a safe choice
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5798 posts
302 upvotes
BC
Shaner wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:30 pm
Maybe I should have put quotation marks around the words beer snob. It wasn't meant to be taken literal nor meant as a degrading term at all. It was just a figure of speech to refer to someone who prefers "good" beer instead of the cheaper brands. I still stand by my post, bud light, coors light, Canadian, etc. are safe beers. Anyone who likes beer can drink them without cringing, but many people can't drink an IPA, for example, without gagging. Bud light is a very mild flavour, which is why I think it's a safe choice
Fair enough. But on the Bud light being very mild tasting, I prefer beer with flavour, which is why I dont drink bud/coors/canadian.. etc. No flavour = waste of time.
That's my 2cents worth
Jan 7, 2013
24 posts
8 upvotes
WHITBY
Here are a few lagers that are just a little more expensive than bud and coors:

Czechvar - (known as Budvar in Europe and is the original Budweiser for the Czech Republic,
Pilner Urquell - The original Pilsner (a type of lager)

From Ontario:
Steam Whistle,
Pickup Truck Pilsner (used to be called King Pilsner) from Thornbury Beverage Company

Cheers!

Wes
Prud'homme Beer Sommelier
Jan 23, 2017
689 posts
486 upvotes
Calgary
I'd personally avoid clear bottles (Sleemans, Steamwhistle) because they may be sitting for a while, nothing worse than serving a skunked beer.

I wouldn't drink Bud Light unless it was a scorching summer day spent outside. It's refreshing, but nothing else.
Jan 7, 2013
24 posts
8 upvotes
WHITBY
Steam Whistle is in a green bottle (not quite as bad as a clear bottle). Steam Whistle bottles are packed in cardboard completely covering the bottles to guard against light exposure. Steam Whistle is also available in cans which block light 100%. The inside of the can is coated so no metal comes in contact with the beer. No metallic taste (unless you drink it from the can where lips touch metal). Any other metallic taste is a defect or your imagination!

Cheers!

Wes
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
332 posts
25 upvotes
Oakville
wesley1874 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 8:29 am
Here are a few lagers that are just a little more expensive than bud and coors:

Czechvar - (known as Budvar in Europe and is the original Budweiser for the Czech Republic,
Pilner Urquell - The original Pilsner (a type of lager)

From Ontario:
Steam Whistle,
Pickup Truck Pilsner (used to be called King Pilsner) from Thornbury Beverage Company

Cheers!

Wes
OKSpring wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:04 pm
I'd personally avoid clear bottles (Sleemans, Steamwhistle) because they may be sitting for a while, nothing worse than serving a skunked beer.

I wouldn't drink Bud Light unless it was a scorching summer day spent outside. It's refreshing, but nothing else.
wesley1874 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:33 pm
Steam Whistle is in a green bottle (not quite as bad as a clear bottle). Steam Whistle bottles are packed in cardboard completely covering the bottles to guard against light exposure. Steam Whistle is also available in cans which block light 100%. The inside of the can is coated so no metal comes in contact with the beer. No metallic taste (unless you drink it from the can where lips touch metal). Any other metallic taste is a defect or your imagination!

Cheers!

Wes
thanks for the suggestions

basically just find cans version of the beers and pour in a beer glass?
Jan 23, 2017
689 posts
486 upvotes
Calgary
toshibaaa wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 3:21 pm
thanks for the suggestions

basically just find cans version of the beers and pour in a beer glass?
Now we're talking about serving beer in the correct style glass! haha.

If it's in a can, a glass would be best. If it's in a bottle, and it's a really informal setting a bottle is fine.
Most beer is in a dark/amber bottle anyhow so skunking shouldn't be an issue.
[OP]
Jan 15, 2013
332 posts
25 upvotes
Oakville
OKSpring wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 3:46 pm
Now we're talking about serving beer in the correct style glass! haha.

If it's in a can, a glass would be best. If it's in a bottle, and it's a really informal setting a bottle is fine.
Most beer is in a dark/amber bottle anyhow so skunking shouldn't be an issue.
lol cool

I got 10 boxes of 12 tulip 20oz beer glass from my work last year, free, never been touch ... gave a case to 4 family members so I got 72 beer glasses... I think I set for life haha