Travel

Good value in quick dry travel garments?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2017 9:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Good value in quick dry travel garments?

I'm looking to reduce the amount of clothes I carry on longer trips - both number of garments as well as the weight - so I started to look into quick dry garments (wash at night in the hotel, hang dry overnight, and be usable the next day). I've found that many of the 'travel' garments cost an arm and a leg in comparison to normal 'non-travel' garments. A good example would be socks - a quick dry 'travel' sock could easily cost $18 a pair and when you compare that to a normal sock, the price seems nuts.

So, my question is - where have you found good value in 'travel' garments that don't cost an arm and a leg?

An example of a good value seems to be the Great Canadian Sox Company's Super-Wool Hiker GX Socks at MEC for $9.00 a pair in comparison to other wool travel socks which can easily go for twice as much.
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4426 posts
218 upvotes
I sometimes get lucky and find merino wool clothing at Winners. But otherwise I just try and buy when I see an online sale.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I just ordered some 'performance' undergarments from the US from Champion/Hanes which is supposed to be quick drying for a little bit more than normal cotton ones. When I get them, I'll test them out and see if they actually do hang dry in a few hours.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9948 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
Clothes with wicking materials can be purchased fairly cheaply. Check out Costco or Wal-Mart. You can usually get polos and shorts for under $20.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 4:28 pm
Clothes with wicking materials can be purchased fairly cheaply. Check out Costco or Wal-Mart. You can usually get polos and shorts for under $20.
There's a lot out there that state they have good wicking capability but many of them are also made of 100% cotton or a large percentage of cotton. Cotton is not known for it's quick dry capabilities....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9948 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 6:56 pm
There's a lot out there that state they have good wicking capability but many of them are also made of 100% cotton or a large percentage of cotton. Cotton is not known for it's quick dry capabilities....
Look for 100% polyester, or at least a high percentage of it or other synthetic materials.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4426 posts
218 upvotes
My husband bought a merino wool long sleeve top from Costco that he used a lot on a trip recently and it didn't wear well. After just a few weeks there was seriously pilling under the arms. I think it was made by Paradox. My Icebreaker long sleeve was worn for the same activities and it's in perfect condition.
Jan 19, 2008
724 posts
188 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 7:12 pm
Look for 100% polyester, or at least a high percentage of it or other synthetic materials.
You gotta watch, sometimes those 100%polyester is quick dry, but you sweat. Try Under Armour, Nautica, or even Kirkland "performance" polo's. They are good, wick body sweat, and are quick dry.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2580 posts
262 upvotes
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 4:28 pm
The shorts at costco are great but the polos are "dadbod" cut.

Would be nice to hear if anyone has suggestions for dress shirts as well... I always find dress shirts hard to pack.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
poorwingman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:59 pm

Would be nice to hear if anyone has suggestions for dress shirts as well... I always find dress shirts hard to pack.
I gave up on trying to find the best way to pack a dress shirt and just put aside some time for some quality time with an iron.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3655 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
get disposable underwear. MAy feel uncomfortable compared to regular ones but you won't notice the diff once you wear your pants.
If you like me, i will like you back, on this forum
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7059 posts
422 upvotes
Following as I will be needing this for Antarctica...
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4472 posts
764 upvotes
Markham
poorwingman wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 10:59 pm

Dadbod cut is perfect if you have a dadbod body.... Which is more than half of the population probably.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
6191 posts
1539 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
yesstyle wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 12:39 am
get disposable underwear. MAy feel uncomfortable compared to regular ones but you won't notice the diff once you wear your pants.
You will still need to acquire as many pairs as you need for the trip. By getting quick dry undergarments, you can just pack two (if you are adventurous) or three (for a little breathing room) and don't have to worry about getting news ones on the trip or packing them in at the beginning. Besides, you will still have to thinking about the rest of your clothes any way - ie socks.
Feb 11, 2009
839 posts
138 upvotes
I just bring underwear and shirts that are made of a sports-jersey like material. Socks that are polyester dry pretty fast too.
Honestly I can probably survive a trip with just 2 pairs of underwear :-)

I just bring them into the shower with me and give them a rinse. Don't need soap each time, but they do sell Tide packs for hand washing in a sink.
The trick is the clothes need to wring out all the water and they will air dry overnight.
Hopefully where you're staying has an extra towel and you can roll up your clothes in the towel, then step on the towel. Try in no time.

I try to pack a few plastic hangers. They make inflatable ones too.

Now it's really to hand wash dress shirts and about impossible to hand wash pants. That is why I try to find a coin laundry place every week.