Fitness and Nutrition

Goodlife Fitness Membership Fee

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2017 6:59 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 16, 2006
3 posts
Toronto

Goodlife Fitness Membership Fee

Hello everyone. I recently signed up with GoodLife at the Victoria Park location.
The deal I got was:

$0 Initiation Fee
$27 bi-weekly rate
and a processing charge, along with some other charge that totalled: $60

So, in total I'm looking at $762 for the first year.

Although I realize that if I chose an option with a higher initiation fee, my bi-weekly rate would be lower. However, that option was not feasible for me. I have a student budget. :cry:

As I am still in the 10-day money-back guarantee period, I was wondering if the deal I got was reasonable. Of note, my plan does not include towel service.

In addition, will the bi-weekly rate lower in subsequent years of continued membership? If not, I guess I could always wait for the contract to expire and then renew...however I would then incur an initiation fee. sad sad sad

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Alex :)
430 replies
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2005
136 posts
GTA
alex, welcome to GoodLife. I was there last Wednesday.
My advice: Cancel your membership with GoodLife in the 10-day gov't regulated 'cooling off period' and and buy rickz's GoodLife membership to save some dough. :!:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=292763

your biweekly rate will be $16+GST= $17.28

you will be spending $200+ $17.28 x 26 = $650 in the first year and $450 in the 2nd year.


your current deal ($26biweekly+GST) has you spending $762 in the first year and $758 in the 2nd year.

The math is simple. If you want to spend mo' money on your GoodLife membership then go ahead and ignore this deal. :)
Moderator
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
22015 posts
1955 upvotes
Cancel the membership.
You can get one for much cheaper than that.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 16, 2006
3 posts
Toronto
shaner, how would i go about doing that?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
alex11 wrote:Hello everyone. I recently signed up with GoodLife at the Victoria Park location.
The deal I got was:

$0 Initiation Fee
$27 bi-weekly rate
and a processing charge, along with some other charge that totalled: $60

So, in total I'm looking at $762 for the first year.

Although I realize that if I chose an option with a higher initiation fee, my bi-weekly rate would be lower. However, that option was not feasible for me. I have a student budget. :cry:
What kind of init fee option they provide you now?
As I am still in the 10-day money-back guarantee period, I was wondering if the deal I got was reasonable. Of note, my plan does not include towel service.
I personally do not think you miss anything without the towel service. I usually bring a set of clothes to gym. Adding an extra towel in that is not a big deal.
In addition, will the bi-weekly rate lower in subsequent years of continued membership? If not, I guess I could always wait for the contract to expire and then renew...however I would then incur an initiation fee. sad sad sad
No, it won't be lower but it can be higher if they raise the price.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 17, 2005
3680 posts
393 upvotes
Markham
The reason that the bi weekly fees are so high now is because that gym has too many members now so now they can afford to make new members pay if they really want in. Just look at the classes and you can see how full they are. It's not as apparent in the weight areas but cardio and studio room it is.

I'm not sure if i would join if it was at that rate but then again I don't pay that rate.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
evoviii wrote:The reason that the bi weekly fees are so high now is because that gym has too many members now so now they can afford to make new members pay if they really want in. Just look at the classes and you can see how full they are. It's not as apparent in the weight areas but cardio and studio room it is.

I'm not sure if i would join if it was at that rate but then again I don't pay that rate.
I guess that makes perfect sense. I think the best deal you can get is before the gym is offically open.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 16, 2006
3 posts
Toronto
so i called the goodlife that i originally signed up with (victoria park, steeles), and asked for a better deal.

the guy told me that currently they don't offer a plan with an initiation fee anymore and that the rate is 27.50/bi-weekly for students.

however, he did get me an additional bi-week period free. so now i have 4 weeks free.

i'm going to call another goodlife tomorrow to see if i can get a better deal. if not, i'll probably stick to my current contract.

in addition, i'm also thinking about trying to get my friends to sign up as well. that way they can open their accounts under my account and we can average out the bi-weekly payments amongs ourselves.

thanks for the replies. further thoughts would be appreciated.

alex
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2005
136 posts
GTA
did you contact rickz in the link i provided above? :?:
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
183 upvotes
alex11 wrote:so i called the goodlife that i originally signed up with (victoria park, steeles), and asked for a better deal.

the guy told me that currently they don't offer a plan with an initiation fee anymore and that the rate is 27.50/bi-weekly for students.

however, he did get me an additional bi-week period free. so now i have 4 weeks free.

i'm going to call another goodlife tomorrow to see if i can get a better deal. if not, i'll probably stick to my current contract.

in addition, i'm also thinking about trying to get my friends to sign up as well. that way they can open their accounts under my account and we can average out the bi-weekly payments amongs ourselves.

thanks for the replies. further thoughts would be appreciated.

alex
Did you try their Victoria Terrace Coed Club? It is their newest club in the area. They may still have init fee option.

1448 Lawrence Avenue East
Unit 17
North York, ON M4A 2V6
Telephone: (416) 615-1185

For getting other's membership under your account, you need to know that it means you will need to collect money from your friends. All the fee will be debit from your bank account only. That is one bank account only. They will not have their own account. They can't even say "get rid of my membership" to Goodlife themselves. Collecting money from your friend biweekly or monthly is pain of the butt.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 17, 2005
3680 posts
393 upvotes
Markham
Yeah I have two friends under my bank account. It sounds simple but both owe me months of fees. I would only suggest that method if you are really tight or family with whoever is under your account. Wonder if they still offer the family plan paid by one account?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 11, 2001
7748 posts
346 upvotes
bingo... same here...

I have my GF and her brother under my account...

$21 / mth for me + $$$ initiation
$20 / mth for gf + $100~ initiation
$21 / mth for gf's bro + $100~ initiation

Yeah... i bit the bullet on the initiation but i'm currently very please with their facitlity... plus free movie rentals at the vic terrance location :)
evoviii wrote:Yeah I have two friends under my bank account. It sounds simple but both owe me months of fees. I would only suggest that method if you are really tight or family with whoever is under your account. Wonder if they still offer the family plan paid by one account?
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Jr. Member
Sep 10, 2005
136 posts
GTA
sleepyguy wrote:bingo... same here...

I have my GF and her brother under my account...

$21 / mth for me + $$$ initiation
$20 / mth for gf + $100~ initiation
$21 / mth for gf's bro + $100~ initiation

Yeah... i bit the bullet on the initiation but i'm currently very please with their facitlity... plus free movie rentals at the vic terrance location :)
sleepy, r u the guy @ vic terrace with the japanese "Techniqe Volleyball" t-shirt?
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2006
1768 posts
They have changed their pricing recently. It is more aligned with being a rip off and for those that want to quit whenever they want to without losing the hefty initiation. So I guess they don't want long term members?

Oh yeah if you quit in the 1st year you have to "buy out" your membership for $100.
Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2006
387 posts
Kanata
iyell4 wrote:did you contact rickz in the link i provided above? :?:

He hasn't updated the thread, but fyi, I bought that membership about a month ago.

Top