• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2019 3:58 pm
Tags:
Jan 9, 2003
401 posts
153 upvotes
Ajax
True that. Applies to any cloud service.
Jaegerjaque wrote: Make sure you have a strong password and enable two-way authentication, also good idea to keep checking login history Mega has been hacked before.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1232 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
I am getting "PUMS: ERROR: Wrong data for activation: unknown OrderID/Name. " any hints?

EDIT: Never mind, I was trying to add the license key with the Order Id & Name rather the (Bach Code) mode :)
Last edited by bingo_jake on May 23rd, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1665 posts
240 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks OP.
Been using GoodSync for a while now but only the free version.

Can you move the licence between computers?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2014 posts
1702 upvotes
hurricane wrote: I've been using https://mega.nz/ for years for the same functionality. 50GB storage for free which is likely more than you'd have with the cloud services mentioned unless you're paying. Here's a review:
https://www.cloudwards.net/review/mega/
How do you get 50GB storage for free with Mega? I see that they currently only offer 15GB storage for free...
Jan 9, 2003
401 posts
153 upvotes
Ajax
ahoroba wrote: How do you get 50GB storage for free with Mega? I see that they currently only offer 15GB storage for free...
The home page says 50 but there's an asterisk? I can't see what the conditions are. They may have changed but when I signed up it was 50gb and it was that for a long time.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1429 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
GateGuardian wrote: Question: How is this different to just using a synchronized folder for Google Drive / One Drive?
theflyingsquirrel wrote: How is it different from google drive?
Not sure if this is the only difference or if Google Drive / One Drive allow this, but I use GoodSync to backup to a home server, not a cloud based one.

As another user mentioned, it's worked fine and is straight-forward enough. I think I spent $20 or $30 on it back in the day and I don't have any particular regrets.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1429 posts
784 upvotes
Toronto
On another note, thanks OP for the clear instructions in the post, very helpful.
Jan 11, 2017
20 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks OP!

Believe it or not I spent 6 hours last night testing and trialing out backup solutions for my PC's because I got a new NAS drive an my old solution did not work with NAS.
I never heard about GoodSync till I saw this post but now it's what I'm using! It does exactly what I need (NAS Backup, Encryption, Scheduling, data explorer, incremental backups)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1286 posts
1078 upvotes
You don't need to install the software to get an account.

After you get the license key, just go to goodync.com, register and go to licenses to add the license.

If I decide to use this later, I'll install the software.
Wallet safe :rolleyes:
Nov 22, 2017
20 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks so much!

used goodsync a while ago as my go to!

Nice to have it in full
Apr 14, 2018
124 posts
142 upvotes
ahoroba wrote: How do you get 50GB storage for free with Mega? I see that they currently only offer 15GB storage for free...
hurricane wrote: The home page says 50 but there's an asterisk? I can't see what the conditions are. They may have changed but when I signed up it was 50gb and it was that for a long time.
FYI this article describes the 50 GB free:

https://chefkochblog.wordpress.com/2018 ... new-users/

Looks like you got an account at a good time @hurricane
May 5, 2010
56 posts
14 upvotes
Wainwright
Been looking for something like this since I recently lost about 15 years of memories from a faulty External Portable Hardrive (It was really old, I should have replaced it rather than pushing it). I wanted to get clarification on exactly how this software works. Do I install it first on my Main Laptop and let that be its main back up? I have a work laptop and work desktop that I do everything in. I have been using Dropbox for work related files to sync around my computers etc, but have been using 2 SD cards to back up all my personal and import and pictures and files, one as back up and another as back up of a back up LOL!

Is this like Dropbox but better? How secure is this? Im guessing when you send things over the cloud it now has a copy of whatever you decide to put in it. Im very new to these things but would like to expand my knowledge so i dont lose all my important memories again. I have considered using Google Drive but dont entirely trust the cloud system YET since everything is prone to being hacked no matter how secure we think it is. Thanks in advanced guys!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8971 posts
11460 upvotes
GT-EH
D0ntgiveajack wrote: You don't need to install the software to get an account.

After you get the license key, just go to goodync.com, register and go to licenses to add the license.

If I decide to use this later, I'll install the software.
Can you add more than 1 license to the same account?

(is each key cross referenced to the specific e-mail you used to get it?)
What's the best credit card for...
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!