• Jun 16th, 2018 9:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto

Google account question for Android phones

I have 4 gmail accounts and have had them for over well over 12 years. There is a lot of information in these account. I am trying out android for the first time so should I use an existing account for the phone or should I be setting up a new gmail account solely for the Google apps store? How do you Android pros usually do it?

EDIT: I realized after messing around with android that I need a bare bones tutorial on how this system works and how to set up my phone as a new user. Can you all suggest some good recent youtube vids to watch for an android beginner?
Last edited by DIrty-D on Jun 14th, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1625 posts
149 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 9:52 am
I have 4 gmail accounts and have had them for over well over 12 years. There is a lot of information in these account. I am trying out android for the first time so should I use an existing account for the phone or should I be setting up a new gmail account solely for the Google apps store? How do you Android pros usually do it?
I have 2 gmail accounts, one business and one pleasure that I have attached to Google Play for games/spotify, etc. If you don't want any sort of spam being sent to if you intend on downloading games, etc, I would set up a separate account. If you are already playing games through an existing gmail account just use that one I guess..

Others can chime in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1371 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:07 am
I have 2 gmail accounts, one business and one pleasure that I have attached to Google Play for games/spotify, etc. If you don't want any sort of spam being sent to if you intend on downloading games, etc, I would set up a separate account. If you are already playing games through an existing gmail account just use that one I guess..

Others can chime in.
Thanks, the spam was my biggest concern. I will likely just set up a new account. Is there any benefit to using a well established gmail account?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
658 upvotes
NORTH YORK
DIrty-D wrote:
I have 4 gmail accounts and have had them for over well over 12 years. There is a lot of information in these account.
You can have many gmail accounts. But which one has contacts/apps/data..... sych with your existing phone and/or tablet?
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1625 posts
149 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 10:32 am
Thanks, the spam was my biggest concern. I will likely just set up a new account. Is there any benefit to using a well established gmail account?
I prefer to use an established one that remains signed in for games/apps, along with favourites/bookmarks I use for browsing that syncs with my Mac, and other devices. Let alone we have have google homes that also sync to my one main gmail account.
Dec 4, 2017
227 posts
68 upvotes
I have learned the hard way not to mix email accounts of major services (and never give them your real phone number), as they tend to have partnerships that share information.

While I am signed in to multiple Gmail accounts on one phone, the only one that I use with the Play Store is one that is dedicated just to that purpose. It's not the one that holds my other information, such as contacts.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14750 posts
5391 upvotes
Oakville
I've been using my primary GMail account on my Android phone for 3-4 years now, maybe longer. Can't remember the last time I actually got a spam email (that wasn't from some other service I'd signed up for). I think any fears of spam because of linking your account to your app store account are without merit.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16487 posts
5067 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest having a dedicated account for play store transactions. Be ready to share this account with family and friends. It is a good way of dollar cost averaging app purchases.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2416 posts
882 upvotes
Everywhere
wearysky wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:36 pm
I've been using my primary GMail account on my Android phone for 3-4 years now, maybe longer. Can't remember the last time I actually got a spam email (that wasn't from some other service I'd signed up for). I think any fears of spam because of linking your account to your app store account are without merit.
I find Gmail pretty good about filtering spam into the spam folder.

I use a Gmail account for actual communication and a Yahoo account for everything else.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
14750 posts
5391 upvotes
Oakville
batcave wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:27 pm
I find Gmail pretty good about filtering spam into the spam folder.

I use a Gmail account for actual communication and a Yahoo account for everything else.
When I say I can't remember the last time I actually got a spam email, I'm actually talking about my spam folder as well. It's at the point where if something shows up in my spam folder, I'm surprised (and usually, it ends up being a false positive)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2416 posts
882 upvotes
Everywhere
wearysky wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 2:33 pm
When I say I can't remember the last time I actually got a spam email, I'm actually talking about my spam folder as well. It's at the point where if something shows up in my spam folder, I'm surprised (and usually, it ends up being a false positive)
As long as you don't sign up for anything you should be getting minimal amounts of spam.

If you email is easy to guess, then you might get some from spammers that just make email accounts from text strings, ie replacing yahoo.com with gmail.com, etc.

I don't sign up for lists with my gmail account, but my email is easy to guess so I get one a month or so. But I rarely look in my spam folder.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1858 posts
466 upvotes
Woodbridge
I use my primary Gmail account for all. I also have my work Gmail account on there for email and calendar but turn off sync on anything else. I have never had any concerns with my primary Gmail account being attached to Google Play or being used to log-in to any other service.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3497 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
There's nothing really wrong with using old or new accounts for the phone.

Just be aware that whatever account you use, your phone will sync its data with that account if you let it. So, all your photos you take could sync to that account. Text messages, your calendar events, your Chrome data, Google Drive, email, Google Keep, and so on and so forth.

If you let it, Google will associate all its data on you with that account. Your location data, what apps you use on your phone, etc etc.

So, it basically comes down to whether you want to associate your phone data with whatever other data you say you keep on your other accounts. Other than that, it's no big deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2416 posts
882 upvotes
Everywhere
DIrty-D wrote:
You can load all four of your accounts onto one Android phone. Your first one you load should be your primary account with you contacts, etc. Set your phone up with this account. They others you can afterwards.

I have one that is logged onto the US Play Store and one that is logged on the Canadian Play Store.
May 8, 2009
6802 posts
2969 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
I've got a handful of Gmail's...
  1. one old one, my first Gmail. Contacts are a mess, I don't sync this one. Use it to collect spam, newsletters, flyers, etc.
  2. One for phone contacts
  3. One with US billing address for US play store apps

For more Gmail, I use aliases Smiling Face With Sunglasses
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)