• Apr 28th, 2015 3:00 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 23, 2013
112 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto

Google (all services) thinks I'm in Japan

Hey guys, so I need some inputs on how to stop making Google thinks that I'm located in Japan.

Things affected:
1. Google search, if I'm not signed in it redirects me to its Co.jp website

2. Gmail, when I click the activity history, it now says I'm logged in from Japan

3. YouTube, I now get Japanese ads, even on Roku.

4. Google news, showing me local news from Shinjuku, Japan.

I was able to manually changed my preferred Google homepage to .com. I also have submitted the form to let Google know that they're reading my IP location incorrectly two weeks ago.

I'm just worried there's something more sinister behind this. anyone care to shed some lights? Have you experienced this before for a rather long period of time?

BTW I'm with Rogers. And a simple IP check on various websites shows that I'm in Canada (obviously)

Thanks.
7 replies
Banned
Sep 13, 2012
2673 posts
786 upvotes
Run malewarebytes free version and install avg if you haven't already and scan.

Check your language settings in Google as well.

Just to be safe, ask your parents whether you were adopted as well.
Sep 23, 2013
112 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
glassandmonocle wrote: Run malewarebytes free version and install avg if you haven't already and scan.

Check your language settings in Google as well.

Just to be safe, ask your parents whether you were adopted as well.
I run that other popular free virus scanner software on my laptop, will try to do a full scan tomorrow. But this problem affects all devices that connect to my WiFi network.

For example, browsing Google.com on my phone's LTE connection takes me to the .ca homepage. Doing the same on my WiFi will load .Co.jp instead.

ALl languages set to English.
Dec 4, 2013
515 posts
292 upvotes
Mississauga
sadesade wrote: I run that other popular free virus scanner software on my laptop, will try to do a full scan tomorrow. But this problem affects all devices that connect to my WiFi network.

For example, browsing Google.com on my phone's LTE connection takes me to the .ca homepage. Doing the same on my WiFi will load .Co.jp instead.

ALl languages set to English.
Do a hard reset on your modem and/or router and put in a new SSID and password.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
.... are you sure you aren't in Japan?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
alkizmo wrote: .... are you sure you aren't in Japan?
I'd check that first as well, maybe you are in Japan!

In all seriousness, you using any SmartDNS type services or VPN? I use SmartDNS and its automatically makes it look like I am in Japan, or USA, or whatever I please for certain sites. This allows for me to watch US netflix and use Amazon Japan for ebooks for the wife. Check you DNS configuration and if you are not using any of these services, set it to automatic.
Sep 23, 2013
112 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
イムは、私はもう午前ないように注意してくださいここで?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
When you created your Google account did you pick Japan by accident. You can change the google preference by logging in to Gmail or any Google service online and changing your location there.
Also S T A R You're big in Japan?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)