• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2017 3:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes

Google Assistant

I just updated on my S7 Edge to Nougat but don't think I have google assistant. I long press the home key and still get the screen google screen. Is there something else that is supposed to be done?
14 replies
Oct 19, 2012
171 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 12:03 am
I just updated on my S7 Edge to Nougat but don't think I have google assistant. I long press the home key and still get the screen google screen. Is there something else that is supposed to be done?
This is what I did to get the Google Assistant right away. I went into the settings and changed my language from English - CA to English - USA. Then your phone changes the language for the phone and it'll take a few seconds. Then I had an update right away, downloaded it through the Play Store and I had Google Assistant. I then went back and changed my language setting back to English - CA and now enjoy using Google Assistant. YMMV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
soljah12 wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 1:23 pm
This is what I did to get the Google Assistant right away. I went into the settings and changed my language from English - CA to English - USA. Then your phone changes the language for the phone and it'll take a few seconds. Then I had an update right away, downloaded it through the Play Store and I had Google Assistant. I then went back and changed my language setting back to English - CA and now enjoy using Google Assistant. YMMV.
thanks tried this but no luck yet. Didn't think it was a Play Store download though? Thought it would just work when you upgrade
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12892 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
Google assistant is delivered via play services update. I have it on my phone. Wasn't expecting it to be available, but I got it.
Oct 19, 2012
171 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 8:04 pm
thanks tried this but no luck yet. Didn't think it was a Play Store download though? Thought it would just work when you upgrade
Okay, so I just tried this on two different Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phones on two different carriers (one with Android N and one with Android M) last night and it worked both times right away.

1. Go to "settings" and change your language to English - US and get delete any other languages
2. Go to the Google app and uninstall the updates (since it's a factory installed app it will ask you if you want it to be replaced by the factory installed version and do that)
3. Then update the Google app in the Play Store
4. Then press and hold down your home button and you should see the Google Assistant welcome screen.

*It seems as if changing the language back to English - CAN will get rid of Google Assistant at this time. Again, this is YMMV but both phones got Google Assistant right away after I followed what I posted and has been working well. It seems as though our version of Play Store is the right version but the Canadian English is what's holding us back at the moment and an update to the Google app is all that's required after selecting US English. Best of luck.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 9:15 am
Google assistant is delivered via play services update. I have it on my phone. Wasn't expecting it to be available, but I got it.
must take a while to roll out then, still no OTA update on mine...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
soljah12 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:54 am
Okay, so I just tried this on two different Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge phones on two different carriers (one with Android N and one with Android M) last night and it worked both times right away.

1. Go to "settings" and change your language to English - US and get delete any other languages
2. Go to the Google app and uninstall the updates (since it's a factory installed app it will ask you if you want it to be replaced by the factory installed version and do that)
4. Then press and hold down your home button and you should see the Google Assistant welcome screen.

*It seems as if changing the language back to English - CAN will get rid of Google Assistant at this time. Again, this is YMMV but both phones got Google Assistant right away after I followed what I posted and has been working well. It seems as though our version of Play Store is the right version but the Canadian English is what's holding us back at the moment and an update to the Google app is all that's required after selecting US English. Best of luck.
thanks will try that method later...not a biggie but was curious to test it out
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
12892 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 6:43 pm
must take a while to roll out then, still no OTA update on mine...
Maybe it is the US English language thing. I have always used that on my phones. I can't recall the particular issue a number of years ago, using US English was the workaround and so I use that setting all the time. Just make sure the google app is kept up to date.
Dec 28, 2015
44 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary
Didn't have to do any of that, got it on my Moto x play...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
soljah12 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:54 am

Doesn't look like I can uninstall the updates in the google app.

edit...I cleared the cache and an update to google came and it looks like I have it now. I did change the language English though, haven't switched back to Canada though..
Oct 19, 2012
171 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 12:11 am
Doesn't look like I can uninstall the updates in the google app.

edit...I cleared the cache and an update to google came and it looks like I have it now. I did change the language English though, haven't switched back to Canada though..
I suggest not changing it back to English - Canada as you will then lose the Google Assistant (happened to me). Congrats on getting Google Assistant now!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
soljah12 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 12:25 am
I suggest not changing it back to English - Canada as you will then lose the Google Assistant (happened to me). Congrats on getting Google Assistant now!
stupid me misread and changed back, but did the process again and all is fine...lol
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1503 posts
123 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 11:31 am
I have my language set to English - Canada and it works fine.
what phone?