Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada

Google Chrome browser problem - corrupted downloads/images

Recently, I have a problem that I had encountered for some time and it involves using the Google Chrome browser on my computer running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.

Each time I go to a certain website with some pictures on it, some of the pictures that I view on the webpage - tend to get corrupted. The similar case happens whenever I download a file off a certain website.

To get around the corrupted picture issue, I have to open in "incognito mode" on Google Chrome. As for downloads, I sometimes have to save a file on one area of my computer and then copy to another drive. I also have to use another web browser in most cases. I've formulated my problem using a different web browser (for example, I've downloaded a file from the Comodo Ice Dragon web browser - but it give me the same result. I also used Comodo Dragon web browser - it was able to open the file without any problems).

I have a few add-ons/extensions on my Google Chrome browser and I'm not sure if that will play a role on having my downloads corrupted.

Worse case scenario, I may have to designate one web browser for downloads and another for watching YouTube videos, etc. Doing a reinstall to my OS isn't an option, but at least I took good care of my computer often.

I've tried formulating my problem on a different web browser (such as Internet Explorer) and they were downloaded just fine. I also did a reset on my Google Chrome browser with all extensions disabled - but sometimes the issue persisted.

Any suggestions to my problem discussed in this thread?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
Backup your bookmarks. Uninstall Chrome. Delete Google folder from Program Files and from AppData\Local. Reinstall Chrome and make sure to install adblock and noscript addons. You might want to check first in your Programs and Features in your Control Panel to see any suspicious program recently install with some free softwares.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
2182 posts
218 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
Sorry that I didn't follow up to this thread earlier, but I've recently uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome and then I did some little "experimenting".

I've attempted to download a file without the add-ons installed, and the downloads seemed to work fine. I've also tried to do the same thing with the adblock add-on installed (I've used ublock) - however, the problem still persisted.

I've also do this through incognito mode and the results are the same when using the "normal mode" without the add ons. If I were to enable those add-ons to operate on "incognito mode", it's going to give me the same problem.

From my experience through my other computers with the similar set up (for example, my Asus R500A laptop running Windows 7 home premium SP1), I didn't encounter any errors.
Aug 29, 2014
309 posts
32 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I know this is off topic but I also have a problem with google chrome... it stutters.

All of google chrome stutters video, loading any webpage (i can tell it stutters by the loading wheel on the top left of the page)
I know it's not flash I've updated it removed all extensions, tried to re install with no luck

Audio doesn't stutter, any suggestions?
2003 Ford Ranger Std Cab
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like the site you're downloading from is the problem, not chrome. Or ethernet cable, ethernet port, wireless router or you have some spyware.

Use Iron browser instead (based on Chromium and way more secure!)
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
mada726 wrote: Sorry that I didn't follow up to this thread earlier, but I've recently uninstalled and reinstalled Google Chrome and then I did some little "experimenting".

I've attempted to download a file without the add-ons installed, and the downloads seemed to work fine. I've also tried to do the same thing with the adblock add-on installed (I've used ublock) - however, the problem still persisted.

I've also do this through incognito mode and the results are the same when using the "normal mode" without the add ons. If I were to enable those add-ons to operate on "incognito mode", it's going to give me the same problem.

From my experience through my other computers with the similar set up (for example, my Asus R500A laptop running Windows 7 home premium SP1), I didn't encounter any errors.
Did you try what I said? Uninstalling and deleting the your profile C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and reinstalling Chrome. Or back up your User Data and copy over the User Data from your Asus Laptop and see what happen.

Jaimz2k wrote: I know this is off topic but I also have a problem with google chrome... it stutters.

All of google chrome stutters video, loading any webpage (i can tell it stutters by the loading wheel on the top left of the page)
I know it's not flash I've updated it removed all extensions, tried to re install with no luck

Audio doesn't stutter, any suggestions?
Trying turning off Hardware Acceleration.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)