• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:09 am
[OP]
Sep 30, 2001
26517 posts
5476 upvotes
Toronto

Google Finance is removing the Portfolio feature

Just saw a notice that come mid-November they will be dumping the Portfolio feature :( This really sucks as I got used to using it to track stocks. Guess I'll have to switch to Yahoo Finance unless someone has a better online portfolio tracker.

"Portfolios deprecation information
In an ongoing effort to make Google Finance more accessible and user-friendly for a wider audience, we’re making a few major changes to the service in November 2017.

As part of this updated experience, you’ll still be able to:

Follow the stocks you’re interested in
Receive the latest industry news and market trends
However, as part of this updated experience, the Portfolios feature will no longer be available. To keep a copy for your records, download your portfolio now.

To give you time to download and consider alternative services, this change won't happen until mid-November 2017."

https://support.google.com/finance/answer/7534448
87 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8074 posts
2882 upvotes
Toronto
Increased fees.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1511 posts
741 upvotes
I switched to Google sheets years ago because it's more configurable, and it will happily update itself all day long as the market data rolls in. What you don't get from Google sheets are the news releases or media stories. But if a stock makes a big move one direction or the other, it's an easy thing to check what's happening that might have triggered the move.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2271 posts
912 upvotes
kneevase wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 5:54 pm
I switched to Google sheets years ago because it's more configurable, and it will happily update itself all day long as the market data rolls in. What you don't get from Google sheets are the news releases or media stories. But if a stock makes a big move one direction or the other, it's an easy thing to check what's happening that might have triggered the move.
You also would have to create your own charts and stuff. Annoying.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K
Oct 11, 2010
907 posts
271 upvotes
Charlottetown
I've always found google finance to be lacking anyway
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1511 posts
741 upvotes
atomiton wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 6:17 pm
You also would have to create your own charts and stuff. Annoying.
Yes. That's more relevant for your watchlist than your portfolio because you should have a rough idea how the prices of your own securities have evolved. For a watchlist, Google sheets lets you query the 52 week highs and lows as well as historical prices, so you should be able to calculate all sorts of momentum indicators of you are so inclined (personally I don't bother as I'm more of a fundamental type of guy).

I've never loved Google finance and I've been a little disappointed that Yahoo allowed their finance site to atrophy. I make do by cobbling together data from Google sheets, charts from Google finance, some fundamental data from Yahoo, etc. Unfortunately there's no one stop shopping....
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1153 posts
254 upvotes
Edmonton
Any beginner guides to Google sheets?
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1511 posts
741 upvotes
It's a garden variety spreadsheet which uses the same basic logic as Excel. However, the googlefinance function is a powerful tool to query financial data (stock prices) into the spreadsheet and it updates itself all day long. You can pull up your portfolio or watch sheet where ever you can access Google drive (ie, at work, at home, from your phone, etc) so it's quite handy and uses very little data. The documentation for the googlefinance function can be viewed here:

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093281?hl=en
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4442 posts
1543 upvotes
Regeri wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 6:34 am
Those using a Mac might want to check out Stockfolio. That's what I use. Link: https://stockfolioapp.com
Thanks any cons to this app you don't like? This is $34.99??

I'm very disappointed they're taking the portfolios away.

What else to use?

Yahoo finance
Morningstar
Globeinvestor

Could care less about all the spam news and advertising as well.
Sep 22, 2017
2 posts
2 upvotes
They have a free trial, so you can check whether you like it or not. It's still "young", so might not have everything you're looking for, but it's being updated frequently. Downside is that they currently don't have a mobile app -- this might or might not matter to you.
Aug 27, 2013
340 posts
142 upvotes
cloud
The MorningStar portfolio entry form is buggy -- it randomly complains some of my past transaction dates were future dates, even though I picked it using their date picker. Gonna try Yahoo Finance next
Jan 15, 2017
100 posts
32 upvotes
Last time I tried MorningStar's, I found it to be very slow. I've tried a few options and in the end found an Excel spreadsheet to be the best... takes a little time to set up but it does exactly what I need and is fast. The WEBSERVICE query can be used to update prices using Yahoo's finance API. I also have scripts to calculate the ACB/gain/loss from the transaction log.

There just doesn't seem to be many good products for this; I almost started writing my own but it takes a lot of time.
Aug 19, 2016
844 posts
304 upvotes
digger314 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:05 am
Last time I tried MorningStar's, I found it to be very slow. I've tried a few options and in the end found an Excel spreadsheet to be the best... takes a little time to set up but it does exactly what I need and is fast. The WEBSERVICE query can be used to update prices using Yahoo's finance API. I also have scripts to calculate the ACB/gain/loss from the transaction log.

There just doesn't seem to be many good products for this; I almost started writing my own but it takes a lot of time.
Yahoo WEBSERVICE goes down sometimes. And it is not updated as quickly as Google Finance.