Google Finance is removing the Portfolio feature

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:09 am
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2644 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
The note I'm seeing is the portfolio won't be available until mid-November; not that it's disappearing all together.

Sadly I see it returning with a larger UI and more spacing and no real added functionality... just like everything else now a days.
May 29, 2006
578 posts
112 upvotes
Grrrrrrrr dumb google I had all my stuff nice and set up the way I like it......I tried yahoo and it was okay for my ETFs but does not support Canadian Mutal Funds so that sucks.....Have created free a Morningstar account and that seems to do what I need (both ETF and cnd mutual funds) so I will stick with that.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1435 posts
554 upvotes
Houston, TX
Super_Chicken wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 1:30 pm
The note I'm seeing is the portfolio won't be available until mid-November
I wish it would be true...
As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Aug 27, 2013
342 posts
142 upvotes
cloud
nelly29 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:30 pm
Grrrrrrrr dumb google I had all my stuff nice and set up the way I like it......I tried yahoo and it was okay for my ETFs but does not support Canadian Mutal Funds so that sucks.....Have created free a Morningstar account and that seems to do what I need (both ETF and cnd mutual funds) so I will stick with that.
Yahoo Finance does support Canadian Mutual Funds BUT the tickers/"Symbol" are all different!

E.g. Fidelity US Monthly Income Ser A [FID1315] -> [F00000PEEY.TO]

You'll have to manually search for your funds on Yahoo Finance and make sure to pick the correct one!

And then you'll most likely need to create a new Custom Views with "Company Name" column, 'coz the nobody's gonna remember this [F00000PEEY.TO] madness of a ticker, and the default view only have the ticker/"Symbol" column.

I'm liking Yahoo Finance better than Google's Portfolio otherwise.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2781 posts
152 upvotes
nelly29 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 2:30 pm
As far as I know, it does. You just need to know what to search for. i.e. TD mutual funds are there. E series Canadian Index is under TDCANADIANIN.TO
May 29, 2006
578 posts
112 upvotes
Thanks for the info guys.....I could not find them on Yahoo.....I will check again with your info!

Thumbs UP!

Edit.....Yes I have now added Cnd mutual funds to yahoo finance.....Now to decide which I like better between yahoo and morningstar
Jan 29, 2013
24 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone considered Bloomberg? You can use their website, along with iOS apps to track your portfolio.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2644 posts
478 upvotes
Toronto
asa1973 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:39 pm
I wish it would be true...
After checking again, you are right.

Welp looks like we'll have to find a replacement. Such a shame too.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4446 posts
1546 upvotes
So is yahoo the best alternative?
Dec 13, 2010
787 posts
212 upvotes
ON
I actually don't think this will bother me too much. I hardly use the portfolio feature any longer. 99% of the time I rely on the recent quote history.
I will probably migrate my portfolio lists to yahoo just in case though
Apr 16, 2007
146 posts
4 upvotes
I have been using Yahoo finance for years and switched to Google Finance 2 years ago. I prefer Google much better than Yahoo (I found the Yahoo $ amount does not matched with my broker house amount). I hope the new Portfolios with come back as part of Google Finance.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4559 posts
209 upvotes
Burnaby
cmchiu wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 7:41 pm
The MorningStar portfolio entry form is buggy -- it randomly complains some of my past transaction dates were future dates, even though I picked it using their date picker. Gonna try Yahoo Finance next
I haven't experienced that specific bug, but one bug I have experienced is it automatically assumes the currency of the exchange that you're entering for a transaction, which means it doesn't correctly reflect the currency of something that is traded on the TSX but in USD.

Having said that, Morningstar's site is way more feature rich than Google's so not really missing anything from moving away from Google.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Dec 4, 2004
502 posts
208 upvotes
GTA
Is there any way to import transactions from .CSV into Morningstar.ca or Yahoo? I have over 600 transactions in Google Finance and there's no way I'm going to manually input all of that!
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2012
1418 posts
497 upvotes
So is yahoo the best alternative?
i just heard .. anyone with yahoo email prior to 2013 got hacked?! i wonder if that includes rogers email that is supported by yahoo.. i have to assume so. i will definitely not use yahoo for financial portfolio updates, without google finance, will try morningstar or bloomberg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... f41747173b