Google Finance is removing the Portfolio feature

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:09 am
Nov 17, 2016
100 posts
102 upvotes
Good list of alternatives to Google Finance was posted here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindep ... eature_is/
I would personally pick something that lets you store your data on your computer and I would not trust any websites. Too many changes are happening right now - Yahoo Finance recently changed how their data is accessed, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3818 posts
712 upvotes
Toronto
So with Google portfolio apparently coming to an end soon, what're the other similar or better free alternatives?
I have a bunch of "portfolio" on Google Finance, including particular trading/investing, and a whole bunch of different watchlists.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2010
4356 posts
3337 upvotes
I use Google sheets to build my own portfolio. Prices are tracked via Google Finance, which will continue to exist. The spreadsheet on the Performance menu of my website is one example of how to customize it.

Here is a list of other alternatives to manage your portfolio:

- JStock (Desktop) - A free Java-based software program to keep an eye on your portfolio. It supports alerts, watchlists, charts, and news among other things.

- MSN Money (Online) - Portfolio manager by MSN. Manage your portfolio online or on Windows 10 devices.

- MyStock Portfolio and Widget (Android) - Free app to manage one or multiple portfolios on Android devices. Features real-time quotes, currency conversion, charts, market news and more.

- Ticker Stock Portfolio Manager (iOS) - Manage one or multiple portfolios on iOS devices. Supports notifications and more. Includes subscription upgrades.

- Yahoo Finance Portfolios (Online) - This requires a Yahoo account. You can track performance of stocks in real-time, and get news and other information related to your symbols.

Rod
Everything about my Investing and automated Trading strategies to boost your income: https://boostyourincome.ca
Apr 9, 2012
436 posts
123 upvotes
Markham
Very puzzled as to why they are ending this function.

I think they might have a new function though. How can google compete with others without a portfolio tracking function.
Feb 4, 2017
199 posts
139 upvotes
really going to miss this function and hope they have a good replacement for it
Oct 23, 2017
1 posts
There's a couple of suggestions over on Reddit.

Sharesight portfolio tracker looks good but is 'freemium' not free.

Wealthica is interesting but not strictly a portfolio tracker so might not do what you want.
Last edited by Daveoo on Oct 24th, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
3802 posts
461 upvotes
Montreal
atang810 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 11:22 am
Very puzzled as to why they are ending this function.

I think they might have a new function though. How can google compete with others without a portfolio tracking function.
I thought a new version of Google Finance is coming out soon. Their graph drawing is the easiest out there.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1048 posts
126 upvotes
Damn...I am really going to miss Google Finance.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2019 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
I use the TMX website for watchlists, but dont really know if it is comparable to Google finance as I havent used it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1695 posts
656 upvotes
Montreal
Daveoo wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 6:45 pm
There's a couple of suggestions over on Reddit.

Sharesight portfolio tracker looks good but is 'freemium' not free.

Wealthica is interesting but not strictly a portfolio tracker so might not do what you want.
I had a look at Sharesight. It looks interesting. Unfortunately, it doe snot support TD eseries funds.
Oct 25, 2017
3 posts
I was looking for a free (and ads-free), similarly simple and functional portfolio tracker, with optional advanced features and ended up going with Wallmine portfolios. I'm very happy with the service.
Oct 25, 2017
3 posts
Yahoo Finance was the first alternative on the list for me as well but their reliability is sad at times. There are some very good alternative tools depending on whether you're looking for just a portfolio tracker or more of a wholesome services as Google Finance. I've been very happy with Wallmine Portfolios as they exactly fit the expectations of a Google Finance replacement.
Jan 2, 2013
907 posts
109 upvotes
Etobicoke
I switched to AlphaTracker. Not nearly as intuitive originally as Google Finance, but once you get used to it - it's quite good. Good support too!
Jun 23, 2012
43 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
I actually ended up using morningstar.ca to track my portfolios. Fairly simple and straightforward.