Investing

Google Finance is removing the Portfolio feature

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:09 am
Feb 23, 2009
114 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
If anyone is still searching, bloomberg.com has a Watchlist tracker which is actually a Portfolio tracker as you can add purchases to it. I just brought everything over (manually) and it works very well. Looks better (IMO) thank Google Finance too. https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/watchlist
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1037 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
Do any of the alternatives generate a portfolio market value chart over time like Google's does? Daily values for the past month/year would suffice.
Intricated
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4446 posts
1546 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 12:08 am
Yahoo Portfolio doesn't have cash position. Or do they?
They do, you have make one.

Type in "cad cash " as your stock ticker , nothing comes up but proceed anyway.

Put your total cash in the shares colum such as $125.25 then cost colum is "1"

For us cash search cad=x , this is usd - cad exchange rate. Repeat above for entry

I was able to make one for cad cash, and usd cash. Portfolio reports in cad, so usd cash (and us stocks) all convert using yahoo exchange rate to cad.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4446 posts
1546 upvotes
Btw yahoo finance the best alternative imp, I tried Morningstar didn't like it. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this so Yahoo was fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
2513 posts
265 upvotes
GTA
Which one has a good import tool? They all seem to have an export but lack import.
Oct 25, 2017
3 posts
ADRiiAN` wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:49 am
Which one has a good import tool? They all seem to have an export but lack import.
wallmine has a good OFX import from Google Finance, but they also imported my other spreadsheet files.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2006
1153 posts
254 upvotes
Edmonton
seamus717 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 6:40 am
wallmine has a good OFX import from Google Finance, but they also imported my other spreadsheet files.
I tried, but this is what I got:
You have successfully imported your portfolio from Google Finance.
We either haven't recognized the following symbols or weren't fully able to import some of your transactions: XAW, ZDB, VCN, HXT, TDB902, TDB909, TDB911, TDB900, INI240, and INI220.
If you need any help, please, let us know and send us your OFX file at hello@wallmine.com. Thank you!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2004
1411 posts
41 upvotes
Google Sheets (spreadsheets) has a function that is able to lookup a variety of financial data.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4446 posts
1546 upvotes
Portfolios are gone too? Not used to the website. Now using Yahoo.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26977 posts
6421 upvotes
GTHA
Jungle wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 7:37 am
Portfolios are gone too? Not used to the website. Now using Yahoo.
Yes...

Just like the current Google Finance, you'll get stock prices, historical graphs, and news. A few Google Finance features aren't making the cut, though, namely the portfolio features and the ability to download historical data. There is still a "my stocks" feature that lets you keep an eye on favorite stocks, but there will no longer be a page for your transaction history and current holdings.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
1705 posts
719 upvotes
Iqaluit, NT
This morning, the Google Finance page is messed up on my smartphone. Google Finance leads to a search result of the word finance :facepalm:
Support your local Credit Union! PM for different options available!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
3818 posts
712 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 7:57 am
Yes...

Just like the current Google Finance, you'll get stock prices, historical graphs, and news. A few Google Finance features aren't making the cut, though, namely the portfolio features and the ability to download historical data. There is still a "my stocks" feature that lets you keep an eye on favorite stocks, but there will no longer be a page for your transaction history and current holdings.
Honestly I don't understand why Google would remove the portfolio features. To me that's the biggest reason I use "Finance". Stock price and chart are dime a dozen and easy to search. Portfolio on Google is convenient as I didn't have to sign up, log in etc with an existing Google account. Now by removing it, Google is pushing us to use something else...
Aug 19, 2016
867 posts
310 upvotes
boyohboy wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 9:10 am
Honestly I don't understand why Google would remove the portfolio features. To me that's the biggest reason I use "Finance". Stock price and chart are dime a dozen and easy to search. Portfolio on Google is convenient as I didn't have to sign up, log in etc with an existing Google account. Now by removing it, Google is pushing us to use something else...
That is maybe what Google wants. Go with Yahoo.
Google Finance's new website is bad. It integrated with their main website.
Feb 4, 2017
199 posts
139 upvotes
Holy smokes, what happened to Google Finance. Absolute crap. What happened to all of my sector gainers/movers and my recently viewed stocks. Also, why is there stories other than Finance on the page... I don't care about stories regarding the TTC *sigh*.