Investing

Google Finance is removing the Portfolio feature

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:09 am
Feb 25, 2004
415 posts
71 upvotes
Longueuil
I hope the old version will stay alive. I really hate the new one. Is there actually someone that does prefer the new version? Why did they spend money to make it worse than the old one? Were there complaints about the old one?
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
May 13, 2009
113 posts
22 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I think the rewrite happened because the previous site depended on Adobe Flash. The new site is all HTML, right down to the graphs. So there could've been a ton of code linking My Portfolio with Adobe Flash and other backend software.

I think the feedback we should give is to add more features to the "Your Stocks" options.

This is a guess of course.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2473 posts
717 upvotes
GTA
I think it's dead now.

All my quotes stopped updating at 12:51PM today.
Oct 9, 2017
10 posts
5 upvotes
To all Google Sheet users, did the =googlefinance() function stopped working for you today?

My stock price tickers stopped updating today. I'm hoping this is just a bug and not related to the old Google Finance being shut down.
Feb 26, 2017
326 posts
93 upvotes
protonphoton wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:53 pm
To all Google Sheet users, did the =googlefinance() function stopped working for you today?

My stock price tickers stopped updating today. I'm hoping this is just a bug and not related to the old Google Finance being shut down.
Looks like its up to date for me. My google Portfolio also updated, but the flash charts are stuck at 1pm.
Dec 2, 2014
398 posts
122 upvotes
London, ON
Super_Chicken wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:30 am
How are you handling CAD and TSX stocks. I'm manually adding a new portfolio and can't seem to change the currency or find the stocks I own...
When I add a new position to my portfolio it gives a drop down of tickers and then you select the currency before you hit save. I did have trouble with one ticket that was traded on both the TSX and NYSE, I want to say it was STB, but I contacted them and they fixed it.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6141 posts
2226 upvotes
Toronto
sigh, can't believe they took away the nice clear graphs.

i would always load google finance when starting up google chrome... and the graph, and nice layout of all the FX exchange, and market trends was so easy to and clean to read. was one of the better market sites.. now it's gone :(
Feb 13, 2008
101 posts
19 upvotes
I am very unhappy with Google about this but i have found the American site still works.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1433 posts
554 upvotes
Houston, TX
Canadian still as well, if open right URL

https://finance.google.ca/

the google.ca/finance is a different one...
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Feb 27, 2013
69 posts
21 upvotes
Calgary
Chance7652 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:17 pm
Looks like its up to date for me. My google Portfolio also updated, but the flash charts are stuck at 1pm.
Mine are looking okay as well, can't comment on the charts piece.

On a side note, Yahoo finance now supports 108 cryptocurrencies :O , I currently monitor my AltCoins in Coin Stats, but I'm hoping Google Finance follows suit and starts tracking these so I can have everything in one place! (I probably shouldn't hold my breath though)
~Let your actions reflect your desires